Old 03-03-2013, 10:00 AM   #15
Rivet Master

an uneducated guess..........

It might could be ( pardon the country talk ), that the parks will need some patriotic volunteers sometime in the future. For some, a nice way to keep busy during the retirement years. Just saying ( pardon the city talk ).

Old 03-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #16
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Volunteering at parks, national forests, and other such agencies is already really popular with the "senior" crowd. What I'd foresee is that they need to spend some money to create more RV sites for volunteers, if the latter need to increase in numbers.

Here's the site I kind of drool over all too often:

Volunteer.gov/gov-America's Natural & Cultural Resources

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
It might could be ( pardon the country talk ), that the parks will need some patriotic volunteers sometime in the future. For some, a nice way to keep busy during the retirement years. Just saying ( pardon the city talk ).

Old 03-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Volunteering at parks, national forests, and other such agencies is already really popular with the "senior" crowd. What I'd foresee is that they need to spend some money to create more RV sites for volunteers, if the latter need to increase in numbers.

Here's the site I kind of drool over all too often:

Volunteer.gov/gov-America's Natural & Cultural Resources

Lynn
Well, I don't know about you guys, but my bride and I can't wait until we can volunteer at the parks. Unfortunately we have just a few more years to wait, as we are still in our thirties and the kids aren't in high school yet.

Here's to having goals!
Old 03-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #18
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Of course, some of the volunteer jobs at parks, I wouldn't want, or am no longer capable of doing. Clean bathrooms, no thanks. Backwoods trail OHV repair, nope. Sure, I could handle office or desk work, no problem. But the juiciest one I've seen was ... tada ... a job photographing wildlife. Granted, the hours were midnight to dawn, but still ...

Lynn
Old 03-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
My wife and I volunteer at BIscayne National Park in the winter and are lucky enough to be employed as Park Rangers at Yellowstone in the summer. The news this year is odd-- they are only going to hire 60% of the seasonal employees that they did last summer and we are all subject to furlough on short notice. We can deal with it as the job is very much worth doing.

The permanent staff is short as well. In a typical winter some folks move to other parks for various reasons and some simply reach retirement. This year, none of those losses will be replaced.

Don't know what programs will be cut but something has to give. With 60% of our crew, we won't have a lot of hours left after manning the Visitor Center.

Ought to be quite the challenge. But, the Park Service has been through a Depression, a couple dozen recessions, a couple of world wars, the Cold War, several hot undeclared wars and Old Faithful is still popping off regularly so I suspect that we'll muddle through this somehow...

Mike
Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:05 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I do and enjoy building and maintaining solar electric systems in NFS campgrounds with no electric power. The hardest thing is getting money released to buy the parts I need to keep them up and running. I have 7 systems going now. I expect it will be even more difficult to get things this year. But the FS people are appreciative, and the public too. Lights in the restrooms are kinda nice at night.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:08 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Van Wert , Ohio
This discussion can become a source of information for all of us ... Especially concerning what we will find when we pull up to the gate of our beloved parks. In advance I thank all who will contribute helpful information.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:57 AM   #22
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypants View Post
Just wondering out loud here. What do you suppose the fees ( entrance, camping etc ) would be if the parks were to become self sufficient and thereby exempt from being hostage to politics?
I wish I could give you some of the information you're looking for. There are extensive misconceptions of exactly how sequestration will work, not only as to how it will affect National Parks and Corps of Engineers campgrounds, but for every affected agency and more importantly, for the people employed by those agencies.

Unfortunately, as a Federal worker threatened with sequestration, while I do have more direct information, I do not wish to be quoted in the news media as an "anonymous source within the Government" as a result of posting what I know on an Internet forum.

I can safely say (since it has to do with fiscal law and not sequestration) that even if a park is financially self-sufficient, with revenues exceeding expenses, they'll still feel the bite. Park receipts are not retained by hte project that collected them. They're turned over to the Treasury as "miscellaneous receipts" and so become part of the General Fund, to be allocated by Congress as they see fit. Congress is not obligated to use the revenues to fund the park that collected the revenues.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Just talked to a ranger at Death Valley. He said a decision to close the parks would not be made until at least May.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #24
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Folks, keep your posts on-topic. Narrowly on-topic. If you forget what the original topic is, please go look at it again.
Thx,
Lynn