Old 03-13-2018, 10:54 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
We usually go by time, rather than miles. About 6 1/2 hours is enough for me, including a lunch stop. It probably gets us about 300 miles/day. In the mountains or through major urban areas, it will be less, while rural interstate gets us a little more. If we stop to smell the roses or find a super-nice camping spot, we may do considerably fewer miles that day. Retired means you should have the time to enjoy the journey, no matter your age.

Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:54 AM   #30
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Green Cove Springs , Florida
When we headed back to the Seattle area from Orlando (visiting our son) after Thanksgiving, we did 3,700 miles in ten days. Not fun. We were glad to be home at the end, but that trip drew us out into a very thin line, like too little peanut butter spread over too much toast. We won't be doing that again.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:54 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Raymond , Ohio
We do not set a time or distance but stop when we feel tired and to walk the dogs
Jan Tillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:56 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

2006 22' Parkway
Poughkeepsie , New York
Iím in my early 80ís and I never plan ahead. I stop at rest areas when I need a break and will also stay there overnight. Wal-mart is also a stop for overnight. I will soon be leaving to meet the group for the Georgia Plantations and More Caravan and will stop as needed on the way from NY to our starting place. Dogs need walking so that also gives us a break. If I get down there earlier, I will either stop at a campground with full hookups or pull in to the state park where we will be meeting.
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:00 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
"Anyway just wondering if any one else, especially Seniors has experience this line of logic?"

For me I am not sure that logic has much to do with it. I think some of it has to do with driving habits when we were younger; some has to do with the kind of vehicle being driven; some has to do with whether we are traveling alone or with another; some has to do with vacations being limited to 2 weeks; some of it has to do with the route to the destination and mostly it depends upon the reason I am traveling.

Let me explain. In my youth I loved to travel for it's own sake. Didn't matter where. I could cover 1000-1500 miles a day (13-20 hrs drive time), dawn to dusk. Just enjoyed the car ride. Later in life when I got married and had a family I had to "Slooooow" way down not only in speed traveling, but the length of time traveling on vacation to about 8 hours in a car a day max. Still later after purchasing our first AS and traveling alone pulling the AS I would travel on business 12 hours/day (or about 700 miles/day) (Note: After 9-11 I found that business destinations closer than 1000 miles from my office, could be reached quicker by car than by plane). Traveling with the wife and pulling the AS during this period became 6 hours max. (9-3pm) and now has become habit(150-360/miles/day.

BUT much depends upon the time of the year we are traveling and our route. Ten years ago we could travel anytime w/o reservations. Today between Memorial day and Labor day it is almost impossible to travel w/o reservations. Sooooo we first decide exactly where our final destination will be, make those reservations first, then back into the stops along the way, calculating the max travel range at 300 miles/day. Next is locating gas stations along the way at 150 miles max. Gone are the days of impromptu distance travel I remember as a kid, it now becomes a lot more complex and sometimes less fun. Not sure how we could do it today w/o cell phones and GPS and Yelp.
zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:17 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Green Valley Lake , California
62.5 been limiting miles for the past decade or so.
After a Malibu-Miami (and back) trip, folks ask "how long does it take?"
"As long as I want".
Safe travels, happy camping 😀
SouthForkAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:19 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
I travel about 400 miles max per day to get to a final destination which with a late start means finding a campsite about 5 PM
I seldom book ahead .
I have run a 15 hour day to beat icy weather, knowing I can stop and nap. I'm solo so I have the option, but a 6 hour day was never in the cards with my dear departed.
It depends on your style and what you can physically and emotionally endure.
Once I'm in my general destination I run shorter trips and enjoy the camping
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:46 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Stone Mountain , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
I guess my questions are do you all pick the area you are going to stop at before hand and when you stop do you do it for one night and do you unhitch your AS?

We've pulled a trailer since 1971 and things have changed. We used to go for a month with kids and dog, scheduled day by day in advance like a road rally, with aggressive milage each day but factoring in kids and a dog needing breaks.

Now in our 70s (73+) we average between 350-425 miles depending on the terrain and traffic. Out west with little traffic it might go 400-425 if we are westbound gaining time zone boost. If we are going against the time zone changes more like 350-375. If we are in highly congested areas (we live in Atlanta) we just plan for 350-375 and wait to make reservations until lunch time. Momma doesn't do Walmarts or Cracker Barrel so we look for KOA, Passport America, Good Sam or AAA rated spots. Costs more but it is safer, quieter, darker, and momma and the cat are happy. Enough said.

We often don't pull out in the morning until 10:00 am, maybe 9:30 if we don't dump, and we stop every two hours or so at a rest or fuel stop. Sometimes we take a 20 minute nap in the AS after eating lunch in the coach. The cat naps with us.

We drive a little faster than some Airstreamers topping out at 70 if conditions warrant, otherwise 65-68 mph. (new tires, good brakes, sway control, good trailer TV balance, TPMS--lets not go down that bunny trail!) Driving a net of about 5.5 hours not counting lunch, fuel and potty breaks. Going across country this summer to Salem Oregon for International we are budgeting 7 driving days and two down R&R days. Sometimes our daily goal is affected by the proximity of a target city and campground, so we might stop a little earlier, or stretch it out another hour, especially if the time zone has changed.

Travel well.

+dcasr

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:51 AM   #37
wrs
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Lindsay , Ontario
We normally travel from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. and then enjoy the park we land in for the late afternoon and find that traveling about 55 mph coupled with standard gas, "rest", lunch and Welcome Center stops means we almost always average 45 mph (higher math says that's about 300-330 miles per day). However, "special circumstances" (leaving from the middle of Ontario in early January and trying to reach below the frost line in Kentucky) will result in more hours than I want to show in print.

WRS

'05 30' Classic and '05 Tundra
wrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:11 PM   #38
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Seniors over 70 and anyone else who wants to respond

Related: while traveling along interstates with our trailer and dog, regardless of the speed we drive, our average speed for the day, stops included, is around 45-50 MPH. So, thats how we compute travel time for any given distance. No other time estimates for a given distance come close to being right.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:15 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Niagara-on-the-Lake , Ontario
If we have a long trip planned l estimate 250 miles per day. We don't unhitch. We hit the road around 9:00 am. Drive between 60 and 65 mph. Stop every couple of hours for pee breaks/stretch legs/dog break/eat, usually at a rest stop or truck stop. In the early afternoon we aim for either a Flying J or Pilot truck stop, with a ETA of around 4:00pm. Works for us. I do find each consecutive day of driving gets more tiring.
TedandPam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:27 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
West Fork , Arkansas
Thumbs up

Now 74, I sometimes experience a sudden need to close my eyes and mind when behind the wheel and it doesn't always relate to distance traveled. My issue may be age but it could also be the meds taken daily. On one recent trip our Airstream encountered one of those orange road construction barrels. Such driving behavior is not acceptable.

Solutions include upgrading our tow vehicle to a Ford F150 Lariat loaded with safety features including lane keeping and BLISS warning along with all the max tow features. That helps but much more important is that I no longer drive alone. My spouse has become comfortable towing, as long as it doesn't involve backing up. She is also comfortable watching me and asking if I am tired. We never go faster than 65 mph and we experience no sway issues with our Blue Ox system.

Last May we drove 570 miles in 12 hours with several driver changes and breaks. That challenged our endurance so we will shoot for half that daily distance going forward and plan on rest days too. Finally our trailer and truck along with our own time freedom are suited for extended travel.

Stay safe out there!

Jim
JRF0st3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:01 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Many of us most likely worked hard to get where are today. Some still do. The wife and I had Professions that required full throttle for 40 years. We were glad to leave that life behind and looked forward to taking time to smell the rose's.

We can understand just driving and landing where ever. Have done the adventure trips and enjoyed the unknowns. "Bill and Teds most excellent adventure".

What works best for us and the old dogs, research and planing ahead, big picture. Where do we want to go, how long do we want to be gone from home base, and the different routes to travel w/best bang for the buck. We like to stay 2 to 3 nights at each stop. Get to meet different/new people, their animals, helping others, evening grilling, cocktails/wine, and looking at the many different TV's and RV's.

Typical for us, miles driven and hours driven in a day differ from 250 to 350 miles,
3 to 6 hours a day. We have pushed harder and pushed less.

Best regards and safe travels
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:04 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB International
Gunnison , Colorado
250 miles is usually enough

One of us is over 70 but we both agree on around 250 miles of driving. This allows a leisurely start and plenty of time in the afternoon to set up at the new spot. One of the retirement advantages is not always being in a hurry. You can never tell what you might have to stop and look at on the way to your next destination.

gunnyrose is offline   Reply With Quote