Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-26-2006, 05:59 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Seeking the Sun

It didn't take long to realize the rain in Oregon was going to hit heavy and often this winter. The question was, how do we escape this depressing weather. I saw an episode on RV Today (RFDTV) about RVing in Yosemite during the winter and wondered if it was really possible? After encouragement from fellow forum members and researching the Yosemite National Park website....winter was indeed a great time to visit. There were fewer visitors and the campsites were plentiful. The only question was.... will the weather allow us to get there and back out? Fortunately we hit the weather perfect, getting over the Siskyou Pass and into Yosemite without any storms. Our stay was enjoyable, taking in all the guided tours and one dinner out at the Ahwahnee Hotel. We stayed 3 nights at Upper Pines CG, and our battery was at 45%, with evenings dropping into the 20's. Our traveling companion's batteries (Komfort trailer) were low so we couldn't stay another night. I didn't bring our generator and the sun only hit the campground for about two hours a day for our solar panels to recharge. We left earlier than we'd planned (missed the moonlight snowshoe tour) but still had a wonderful time.
We traveled south to Visalia and camped at the KOA to have a base site to see Sequoia NP. We did the loop drive through, stopping at all the famous groves and again fortunately had sunny weather. Kings Canyon was closed....which means we'll have to go back to see that some day.
We then traveled east via rte 178 by Lake Isabella to Death Valley (that's a tight curvy road on the west side). On our way into Death Valley off 395 we were buzzed by a low flying F14 jet that scared the beejeezous out of us ! I think he was just trying to scare us.....which he did! We spent our first night in Stovepipe Wells CG, then moved on to Texas Springs CG near Furnace Creek. It was a perfect CG (no hookups) and the solar power was plentiful to keep our batteries topped off. We stayed there 3 nights, and saw everything that was open (Titus Canyon and Dante's View were closed d/t rockslides).
We headed southwest out of DV, braving strong Santa Ana winds, staying one night in Paso Robles on our way to the Monterey Peninsula. The next three nights we stayed in Moss Landing, taking in Carmel, Pacific Grove, and Monterey. We visited the Monarch butterfly wintering area in Pacific Grove, which was really fun to see. Also did the famous 17 mile drive and ate lunch (split a Cobb salad) at Pebble Beach Cafe, all under wonderful sunshine!
We then headed north up 101 to Arcata. We stayed two nights there, taking in some of the Redwoods....specifically the Avenue of the Giants. This was the first rain we hit since we left Oregon.
Then we headed home up 101 into Oregon, doing the drive (350 miles) in one day.
This was the first trip of this type we've made in the middle of winter....and fortunately we avoided foul weather and succeeded in finding plenty of sunshine. We may not be as lucky the next time!
I'm posting just a few of the pics (mostly of the AS) in scenic poses!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4283copy.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	17925   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4285copy.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	17926  

Name:	DSCN4289copy.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	17927   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4293copy.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	17928  

Name:	DSCN4305copy.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	17929   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4311copy.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	17930  

Name:	DSCN4341copy.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	17933   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4347copy.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	17934  

Name:	DSCN4363 copy.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	17935  

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 06:21 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Mansfield , Texas
Those are some beautiful pictures. What kind of temperatures did you encounter in Yosemite this time of year? So glad to see the other side of the coin. We need to take a trip, desperately seeking the rain.
bill benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 06:54 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Yosemite

I went there once in November and it snowed . I had a hard time getting out as the roads were turning white. I've always felt it was to risky to tow a trailer there in the winter because of possible snow and crummy roads but you have shown that it can be done.

That road going into death valley from the west is a real corker, sometimes it feels like the next hump in the road is going to leafd you off a cliff. Did the truck do ok pulling you back out? What were the temps in death valley?
Old 01-26-2006, 09:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
great trip!..i think winter is the only time that non californians can gain access to yosemite ....
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 11:17 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill benton
Those are some beautiful pictures. What kind of temperatures did you encounter in Yosemite this time of year? So glad to see the other side of the coin. We need to take a trip, desperately seeking the rain.
Thanks Bill,
The temps in Yosemite ranged from mid-50's during the day and low to mid 20's at night. We had originally planned to camp outside the p ark in a private CG near Groveland, but we missed the turn-off and decided to keep on driving into the park and camp at Upper Pines, which is open year-round (no hook-ups). My only mistake was to not take my generator. It would have made our stay there more comfortable, not having to conserve battery power. There was a storm predicted to arrive two days after we left.....so again we dodged a weather bullet.
Death Valley, was much more temperate....with the highs between 65-70 and lows in the 30's. We had plenty of solar to top-off the batteries. We really enjoyed the beauty and solitude of the desert during the winter. I can't imagine being there during the summer heat!

Campcollector,

We were ignorant what to expect on the routes we chose. We couldn't tell by looking at our map how much elevation gain or how curvy the roads were. I need to purchase a book that has descriptions of passes and elevation gains, % grades, and tunnel information and recommendations on length of TV+trailer that is allowed. Any suggestions are appreciated! We took probably the hardest route into Yosemite on hwy 120 through Groveland. It was extremely curvy and steep. Some of the tunnels I thought we were going to hit the side or top of the trailer. I can't imagine any 5th wheels going in that way. The south exit out of Yosemite was a breeze.
The west entrance to Death Valley via Panamint road was also steep and treacherous, but our Chevy Avalanche 8.1L handled the challenge well. We exited via the south entrance thru Trona, which was much easier.

2017 28' Signature CCD

Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
Old 01-27-2006, 11:59 AM   #6
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Great story and pix. and congrats for getting out and being mobile.

Page and I have been lucky this winter - January has been mild here in VA. We are following your lead and heading to FL in early Feb with no real destination in mind. Hope we hit a homer on weather as you guys did.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 12:03 PM   #7

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Sounds like a wonderful trip! When winter hits we just hunker down and wait it out, especially if there's any hint of snow. I'm glad you got out exploring. The pictures look beautiful! But wait - wheres G.G.?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 12:08 PM   #8
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile What an adventure! Thanks for sharing it!

Really nice of you to post all that! Great thread. Yosemite is so beautiful, I've only seen it through pictures, hope to get out there someday. Great photos! Its inspiring to read about experiences with winter boondocking!
Old 01-27-2006, 12:25 PM   #9
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Fantastic pics Jim & Cheryl! Thank you for sharing them with us. Seeing those pics doesn't help my cabin fever, though...

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 01:53 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Sounds like a wonderful trip! When winter hits we just hunker down and wait it out, especially if there's any hint of snow. I'm glad you got out exploring. The pictures look beautiful! But wait - wheres G.G.?
Steph,
Here she is......we're sitting on some rocks along the coast on the 17 mile drive through Pebble Beach on the Monterey Peninsula! She travels well with us! Always looking for squirrels to chase!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN4352 copy.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	17955  

2017 28' Signature CCD

Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
Old 01-27-2006, 04:15 PM   #11
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Thanks for the tour. Great pics. The rig looks great!
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 04:23 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Great trip Jim!

Ah.. being able to take off for an extended trip! If the kids weren't so tied to school, I think we'd probably being doing something simular. I'd like to do this some day, with the option of just hunkering down if deep snow hits. Time is our enemy right now.

LOVE the pics! Say "HI" to Cheryl and GiGi for us! I spent some time this week off going up to the trailer, topping off the battery (do you have duals in the 28ft'r?), and removing a bit more of the paint I missed the first time. I think I might just spend the bucks for a cyclo and nuvite and hit the Argosy this spring with it.

We'll miss you in Feb! The wine rally sounds great!

I've looked at some campsites (via a book!) for spring around Uberlanders (east of the mountains) and my (the sound) neck of the woods. Would you be willing to come up, say April'ish? I need to check on how warm it is though first.
Take care!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 05:52 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Wow Jim I'm sooo jealous. I wish I was retired and could fly off at a moments notice.

Marc,
I was thinking March...it is so beautiful even in the end of Feb sometimes. It can get in the 70's during the day. Maybe Lincoln Rock SP or Daroga SP if we want hook ups and showers. But its beautiful in Leavenworth lots of good trails, shops, etc..only draw back...boondocking.
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 06:14 PM   #14

1968 17' Caravel
I'm really busy in April, but if you do it in March, we'll be almost sure to join in. We used to live in E. WA, but there's still a lot of it I haven't seen.

Old 01-27-2006, 06:47 PM   #15
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
March sounds great! We are available the weekends of the 4th, 18th and 25th. I haven't been to any of those state parks... I like showers (especially campcollectors). Where are we going? Both the state parks mentioned below open march 10..

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 06:50 PM   #16

1968 17' Caravel
Hey Jim, we'll be bringing our pooches to the Newport GTG, but I'm sure we'll have to keep them far apart because our Alki is as bossy as GG to other dogs!

Sounds like you had a great trip. That's our dream, to someday be able to just toss the pets in the van, and we all take off for however long it takes to get homesick. Of course, every year we seem even more tied down than the year before!

Old 01-27-2006, 07:55 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Inspiration

Jim you have inspired me. I am thinking of going to Death Valley in March to see the flowers bloom and bask in 80 degree dry weather.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:16 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
70 degrees - in March?

Wow - I had no idea heat was so close! I don't have my schedule yet from work for March, but I'll let you guys know when I get it.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote