Old 02-23-2005, 02:41 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Thumbs up Security Equipment or Options?

How do you safeguard your AS when you store it for longer periods of time? Especially if it is stored away from your home. What about when you want to leave the campground for the day? Aside from leaving Fido in the trailer, what should we be investigating?

redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 02:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Doing the Happy Dance post posted!

redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 02:52 PM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
We are careful in our choice of storage locations. My location has both RV storage and storage units. They fence the RV storage separately and with a different locking system. This minimizes traffic from storage unit renters. You need to get through the main coded gate to gain access to the complex. Then another lock for the RV area.
The site is lit and does not offer 24 hour access, and has video cam's recording several areas.

Secondly I don't keep anything in the trailer that isn't replaceable. Probably the most expensive item is my little combo TV/VCR. I will not be storing my new LCD TV in there.

Quite honestly in our part of the country, the RV's that get broken into are the class A motor homes. Apparently the thieves know that us trailer folk keep very little in them. The motor homes though have nice TV's, radios, video equipment and basement storage with lots of goodies.

I do have a hitch lock but I don't consider that much deterent for a professional.

So my advice is to do your homework and if the trailer isn't kept at home, find a good storage location.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 05:08 PM   #4
Confused & Wandering
1993 34' Excella
Right here, , where ever I wake up
Send a message via AIM to Theo
Firstly, and most importantly, visit a good hardware store, and purchase some locks, to replace the very unsecure ones, on all of the outside locker doors. I think there are only about 5 different keys for the entire RV community.. Anybody has a key for them. Replacing the locks is very easy, and will deny access to any but the most determined criminal. Also, if, like mine, you rig has a deadbolt, change the keying for that one too, get a unique keyset from a reputable locksmith. That takes care of the obvious loopholes.. Then comes the windows... They are very very insecure - practically anything is better than the stock window catch.. I am not prepared to tell you what I have done with mine... someone may be reading, with ill intent. But anything, that will stop the catch from turning, that is also not reachable by anything forced into the frame, will thwart all but the well equipped thief.

'05 Cargo hauler gooseneck, carrying an '05 Jeep TJ, all hauled by an '05 C4500 Kodiak Truck
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 06:33 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member
1968 24' Tradewind
Fort Myers , Florida
Send a message via AIM to JeepinAudiophile Send a message via Yahoo to JeepinAudiophile
I plan to put a vehicle security system in mine, with a motion sensor, and a switch to turn it off completely if I want to. Most of the time, I will not have a problem- it'll be sitting in my side yard. But i'd like to have one for when i'm away. I also happen to sell and install mobile electronics...hint hint hint to anyone who is local. Here's a link to my information. --Chad--
Tow Rig: 2005 GMC Sierra Denali AWD, 6.0L HO- LOTS OF UPGRADES to help Towing (and Fun)
Trailer: 1968 Tradewind 24', Land Yacht trim (Shell-Off Rebuild and upgrades)
***Missing from my life***

WBCCI # 13657
++Take a look at my restoration photo album++
JeepinAudiophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 07:41 PM   #6
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Ok, folks... i'll add my $.02 as a 30 year veteran cop... Make sure you have good insurance. Having observed crooks of all varieties over the years and investigated literally hundreds of property crimes involving break-ins... locks are only significant when you're inside the trailer. Even at that, locks only keep honest people honest. The average crook doesn't have keys to your unit; even if there was only one key that fit everything. Screwdrivers and pry bars are crooks' friends. There isn't an Airstream or for that matter, any other RV out there that I couldn't be into in less than a minute regardless of what lock is installed. As a matter of fact, with a pry bar, I could open just about any RV door on any RV and be inside in seconds. Windows break easily, and screens are easily removed.

I agree with Jack... don't leave anything in your trailer that you can't easily replace. Folks... keep perspective here... these are trailers..and they're vulnerable. But if you choose where you store them with reasonable care, the odds of you and your trailer being victimized will be greatly reduced. We live in a society where crime occurs... but remember that television news, crime dramas, CSI and all the other TV shows make us feel more vulnerable than we really are.

A little common sense goes a long way towards keeping you and your 'stuff' safe and secure.

AIR 2053 Current: 2006 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis, & 1995 Coachmen B-van
Former Airstreams: 1953 Flying Cloud, 1957 Overlander, 1961 Bambi, 1970 Safari Special, 1978 Argosy Minuet, 1985 325 Moho, 1994 Limited 34' Two-door, 1994 B190 "B-Van"
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 05:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master
2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Randi -

There have been a number of discussions here in the past about the use of coupler locks and wheel boots. Here's a link to one of them:

If you're going to be leaving your trailer outside, unattended, one or both of these types of locks can be a detterent to someone stealing your entire trailer - this does happen.

flyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 10:22 AM   #8
Rivet Master
1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
The bad guys want the fast easy work. If you really want to protect your trailer then take the wheels home, then use lug locks. Come the season you are ready to do the bearings, check the brakes, and retorque the lugs. You are slowing them down. This is work for you and makes work for them. The longer it takes the bad guys on the site the more of a chance that someone sees them. Now if what you have is what they want or have a prepaid order for you're just out of luck. A concealed pingible GPS tracker is your next level of protection.

I will be wiring my trailer such that the sky will fall if you plug in or move it, sirens, flashing lights, and the brakes will be wired to a flasher or auto reset breaker and be powered up. Cutting the brake line wire, opening the door, inside movement, disconnecting the battery will also set off the sirens and flashers. This is for being at a site other than a rally and while parked at home. One of the great things about the WBCCI rally is you don't need any of this stuff. There's no way insurance will be able to replace "The Bat Cave Express" and what we will put into it $ and time.
There's a thread somewhere with a system that calls you on your cell phone if your trailer temperature goes too high for your pets. This could be integrated as well. One of those fingerprint locks to turn the alarm system off would be tooooo cool and I suspect easily bypassed. How about a net cam with motion detecting recording and forwarding incidents reports to your camera cell phone. It's just a matter of time and $.

Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote