Old 11-23-2014, 09:45 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB International
Security Concerns

We are extremely close to pulling the trigger on a shiny new 25FB Int'l Signature and my wife asked me an interesting "final" question. Has anyone here had (or heard of) any experience with vandalism to their Airstream on the basis that is was an Airstream? I guess it would be hard to know for sure but any feedback is appreciated!

Old 11-23-2014, 10:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
I've been on here for three years and really haven't run across any vandalism stories. You might use the search function for further research but I don't think Airstreams would be any more of a target for vandals than anything else one might own. We have never had issues while camping nor in fenced storage.

Dana

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:25 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
only heard and had one near encounter. One camper in the campground had a child who was... hmm.... unstable according to the arresting officers. The individual climbed on top of an AS and was trying to pry off a skylight to gain access to the AS...

Instead, he was met and stopped inside an SOB next to the AS.. he chose the AS as his initial target.. but unsuccessful, found the door to the SOB unlocked.

Otherwise, never seen anything..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Not likely, they never know when Airstreams are new or that they still even make them. Or if some is inside. If they like to make a bad day for someone tagging a new Porsche would be more fun.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:11 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Never had an incident nor heard any first hand accounts of an incident. As dkottum mentioned the most frequent question we get asked "do they still make those"; therefore, most people probably consider them old and out of date, not worth breaking into.

Go for it, we have had tents, pop ups, SOB travel trailers and motorhomes along with our Air Stream(s). For us the AS is it for a number of reasons.
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:34 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
No incidence of vandalism in 7 1/2 years with the Interstate, nor the previous 4 with the first RV.

It does happen, but also to vehicles.

Use reasonable precaution and the general law of averages will prevail.

Maggie
Old 11-24-2014, 12:04 PM   #7
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseav View Post
We are extremely close to pulling the trigger on a shiny new 25FB Int'l Signature and my wife asked me an interesting "final" question. Has anyone here had (or heard of) any experience with vandalism to their Airstream on the basis that is was an Airstream? I guess it would be hard to know for sure but any feedback is appreciated!
Nope.

These are the related risks:

1) Theft of entire trailers. Usually from remote, unattended areas or from business or industrial areas that are unattended at night. Risk increases the closer you are to Mexico. More of a problem for Airstreams than other trailers due to their value

2) Burglary involving damage to trailer and theft of contents. Common problem in RV storage yards affecting RVs of all brands and types.

3) Theft of items left outdoors or in truck bed while camping. Usually generators, sometimes grills, propane tanks, or camp furniture.

4) Squatting in trailers left in extremely remote areas. Rare, but it happens, usually either an amorous couple looking for a bed or an underage group looking for a place to drink.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Thanks for the insight everyone! I kind of figured that would be the answer I'd get but I'm glad I asked. Interesting that you get asked if they are still in production; when I first started researching RV's I assumed Airstream went under decades ago. In fact, to this day I don't think I've ever see a newer generation in service.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:37 AM   #9
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Over the period of many years, there have been many break-ins at the dealership. All of them have involved SOBs. I can count on one hand the number of Airstreams that have been brought in to repair damage from theft or break-ins.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:38 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
What's the first thing that comes to your mind when you hear AIRSTREAM (money , cadillac of trailers )so maybe thieves think the same!
2012 silverado ext cab 4x4 ,5.3 L , 6 speed trans,3:42 final drive,tow package standard box 6 1/2 foot . 2014 honda forza 300 scooter, #2 2015 honda crf 250 L (Dual sport)
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 06:54 AM   #11
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
My Airstream Interstate was burglarized less than 16 hours after I brought it home for the first time. That's what I get for buying on December 23rd; the burglar decided to give himself a Christmas present at my expense.

Partly Airstream's fault; the original Airstream privacy curtain that keeps people from looking in the windshield hangs straight down from the windshield visors, and leaves the dashboard exposed to view from the side windows. Some vile miscreant looked in the side window and saw, in front of the privacy curtain, a brand-new hardly-ever-used Kenwood/Garmin head unit. He broke out the window, and used a crowbar, tire iron, or big screwdriver to pry the Kenwood unit out, doing about $3500 in damage to the dashboard in the process. All for a head unit that deactivated itself as soon as the electrical conection was broken. Good news, the insurance company paid out without any hesitation, even though the damage was over three times what I had paid in premiums.

Since then, I installed a high-end alarm system, and got privacy shades from Outside Van that completely cover the windshield and side windows so no one can see in. No more trouble with burglars or vandals, although one or more neighborhood kid(s) seems to take delight in throwing pennies at it for some reason, judging from the fact that I routinely find pennies scattered around it, mostly on the passenger side. Once in a while the pennies hit hard enough to set off the very sensitive glass-break sensor and trigger the alarm, but they don't actually crack or break the glass or ding the sides of the van.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 07:25 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Protagonist's story is exactly like one I would expect myself to have. A small war of attrition, not one massive robbery. The kind where you're tempted to leave an envelope of cash under the windshield wipers in the hopes they'd just be happy and leave; but they wouldn't. Are there security systems for Airstream TT's?
Old 11-28-2014, 07:30 AM   #13
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseav View Post
Protagonist's story is exactly like one I would expect myself to have. A small war of attrition, not one massive robbery. The kind where you're tempted to leave an envelope of cash under the windshield wipers in the hopes they'd just be happy and leave; but they wouldn't. Are there security systems for Airstream TT's?
You mean like this one?
Trailer Alarm System | Enclosed Trailer Alarms | Trailer Security Systems
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 07:36 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Mine was a Parental problem

Who would give any young kid a BB gun and let the little s---t run around the park un supervised. The front right body reflector on the Airstream became a target for him.
I now have numerous deep BB dings in the surrounding panel. I have to live with it.