Old 11-28-2014, 06:51 AM   #15

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have been Airstreaming for going on ten years now. We have spent over 1,500 nights out in the Airstreams. Most of these were at campgrounds, but some were at Wal-Marts, truck plazas, rest areas, and private residences. These locations were all over the United States and Canada.

We have not experienced a single incident of damage, theft, or vandalism. We are always on the lookout for trouble, but we don't take any extraordinary precautions.

We have decided that to enjoy our Airstream, we must take it away from home. That's what we do. We are in Lucy every chance we get. We try to be as careful as we can, but we are not going to let the chance of something bad happening rule our lives.

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 07:05 AM   #16
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We have never had a " Close encounter of THAT kind" in our years of tenting it, pop-uping it and now Airstreaming it. I think long term parking in a storage facility is the greatest risk but we keep it parked at home. Of course, if a thief is on the prowl for an AS .......
all bets are off.

Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:45 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member
2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
I've had two incidents to date:
  • While the Airstream was parked in front of my home it was hit with 5 eggs; no damage.
  • While staying in Tulsa, OK, with family the Airstream was parked in the driveway with myself and 2 sons in it when a burglar attempted entry by using a screw driver to try to pry the door open; failing at the door he pried on the tempered window beside the door causing it to shatter. While reaching inside the window to open the 3 locks of the door my son who was sleeping on the gaucho grabbed his arm causing the burglar to flee, leaving his screw driver behind.
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:58 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
While camping in Ohio I realized that the gray & black tanks were uncomfortably close to full, so sis and I made a high speed run to the dump station without securing everything on our campsite. Came back to a stolen 30 amp power cord (on a cold ass night) a couple of chocks and two step stools gone.

Got through the night by snaking a regular heavy duty extension cord through the rear fantastic fan to the 15 amp outlet - and hooked up my Dyson HOT fan/heater. Kept the A/S pretty comfortable. Karen had a sleeping bag, and I had a down comforter - both got good usage that night. Next day went off to Camping World and got a replacement cord. When I camp in strange places I now run the cord through the spokes of a wheel and padlock the loop.

I believe the following story may be regarded as "urban legend" but I swear it happened to a friend years ago. He had a big Winnebago - which during the gas crisis got too expensive to travel the roads and byways in.... So he parked it at a pleasant lake as his "summer cabin". Quickly realized he didn't have enough black or gray tank capacity so he converted one of his diesel tanks to an extra waste storage tank. One night when he and some friends were playing cards in the living area they heard a horrible animalistic scream .... and went outside to find the cap removed from the converted tank, and a gas can and siphon lying on the ground. There was a trail of vomit leading away from the pilfered "diesel"....
Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 10:03 AM   #19
Agent 86
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Now that is funny.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 10:04 AM   #20

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Urban legend or not, that last story warms the cockles of my heart.

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 10:19 AM   #21
Rivet Master
2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Security Alarm

While not a real security alarm, I installed a buzzer triggered by opening the screen door of my 2009 27FB Int. This allowed me to nap with only the screen door closed, and if someone tried to enter the buzzer went of....

Modifications To My '09 27fb Ocean Breeze - I have installed an alarm, the speaker located below the main switch, contacts at bottom of door. Photo Gallery
Happy trails and Good Luck
Ms Tommie Fantine Lauer, Greensboro, NC
AIR #31871 WBCCI #4165 K4MTL
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 11:13 AM   #22

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
The break in's I'm aware of usually are Class A motor homes. Typically they have high ended systems installed in them and lots of storage. The large basement storage presents additional opportunities for thieves. One friend of ours who owned an Airstream motor home has his broken into twice. Once at the storage facility (fenced), and once when it was at the Airstream dealer for service. Usually the loss of the devices is minor compared to the damage caused when forcing entry into the motor home and the damage to the surrounds and trim materials which encase the electronics. My dealer says that the thieves figure the Class A unit owners are more affluent and have the space and storage to carry a lot more things of value.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 02:21 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Pennington , New Jersey
We had an incident at a rest stop in Connecticut where someone urinated on our Airstream while we inside....

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
patentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:50 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member
2015 25' FB International
Security Concerns

Now THAT is justice! Excellent share! (RE: the poopy syphon)

chaseav is offline   Reply With Quote