Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2015, 12:54 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Seattle to Austin in a 350LE

Having purchased my 350LE in Seattle, I'm now committed to driving the 350LE through to Austin, Texas. Route plan seems straight forward as follows:-
day 1, Seattle to Redding CA, via I5
days 2 and 3 Redding to Palm Springs CA, via I5
day 4, Palm Springs to El Paso TX, via I10
day 5, El Paso to Austin via Fredericksburg TX

If anyone had done this trip please give me any "heads-up" as in RV parks to overnight in Redding and El Paso, any memorable truck stops, or any "friendly" RV/GM dealers along the way who might render any needed assistance I have Good Same roadside coverage) ?
Thanks for any advice
Chris
chriscraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 01:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Just one comment from me. Make sure you go through El Paso during off hours, I mean the traffic on I-10 through the city is bad and the drivers are the worst I've encountered in my travels. Yes, I've even driven in Italy too!
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 01:56 PM   #3
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Had to click on this just to find out what 53' cargo container had been converted to an Airstream. It would certainly be a LE edition that's for sure.

Come to think of it, I know containers have been made into houses but have any been made into a RV trailer? Thread hijacked, sorry.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 01:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Have you got someone with you to help you spot?
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 03:58 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Wow!...Tony, seems I detect a wee touch of jealousy but, there again, what's 4 feet between fellow Airstreamers although they do say that size......!
Mayco..what does it meant, "to spot"?
Bluto..thanks for the El Paso tip..seems best to stay out of town and head for Austin early next morning!
Old 01-01-2015, 04:17 PM   #6
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscraw View Post
Wow!...Tony, seems I detect a wee touch of jealousy but, there again, what's 4 feet between fellow Airstreamers although they do say that size......!
You must be right, that's why I use to go out with girls with glasses that liked to party without their glasses. Drunk, can't see and wouldn't care 4' or 4".

I like my 310, and since I know how to drive and manuver my 310 I feel no need to compensate for my inadequacies by buying a 530LE.

The guys you have to watchout for are the Argosy boys who are like the boys in "Revenge of the Nerds". They will steal your women in the night and are just like rabbits.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Old 01-01-2015, 04:38 PM   #7
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Size doesn't matter.....it's what you do with it that counts!
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 06:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I meant copilot. Dont know if its your first time driving a vehicle that long but if it is, it sure helps to have someone along in the passenger seat to help with lane changes and what not. Especially if you get into heavy trraffic or in a position where you need to back up. Just a thought, if youre not familiar with it.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:24 PM   #9
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
As an expat Brit I'm staying out of this but one of my Canuck buddies sent me info about this top secret incident that was caught by CSEC (Canada's NSA).

Tony Abbott, Prime Minister of Australia, is rudely awoken at 4am by the telephone.
“Tony, its the Hilth Munister here. Sorry to bother you at this hour but there is an emergency! I've just received word thet the Durex fectory en Sydney has burned to the ground. It is istimated thet the entire Australian supply of condoms will be gone by the ind of the week."
PM: "Shut - the economy wull niver be able to cope with all those unwanted babies - wi'll be ruined!"
Hilth Munister: "We're going to hef to shup some in from abroad... Brutain?..."
PM: "No chence!! The Poms will have a field day on thus one!"
Hilth Munister: "What about Canada?”
PM: "Maybe - but we don't want them to know thet we are stuck."
Hilth Munister: "You call Stephen Harper- tell hum we need one moollion condoms; ten enches long and eight enches thuck! That way they'll know how bug us Aussie’s really are!!"
Tony calls Stephen, who agrees to help the Aussies’s out in their hour of need.
Three days later a plane arrives in Sydney - full of boxes.
A delighted Tony Abbott rushes out to open the boxes. He finds condoms; 10 unches long; 8 unches thuck, all coloured green and gold. He then notices in small writing on each and ivery one.........
MADE IN CANADA - SIZE : MEDIUM

Cheers mate
Tony

Old 01-01-2015, 09:45 PM   #10
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
That story dates to WWII and it is Churchill who makes the recommendation on the size markings of those sent to the Russians. So far as I tell it is true.

from the AIRphone
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:00 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
Size doesn't matter.....it's what you do with it that counts!
Oh yes it does... you're not getting to china in a row boat!
Old 01-02-2015, 09:03 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
I really think it all about girth. Weather you are long or a short stubby AS, the width and height are about the same. If you can guide the front the rear will follow.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:12 AM   #13

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Back to your route plan...

I think you're VERY ambitious to start off in an old, unfamiliar motorhome with 600-700 mile days back-to-back. If you can squeeze an extra travel day into your itinerary and shorten each of the others it'll make the trek back to Texas much more pleasant. Now, if you have a co-driver and you're both very confident you can sleep while the other driver is working it's a bit less crazy, but still quite ambitious.

Buon viaggio!

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:07 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Back to your route plan...

I think you're VERY ambitious to start off in an old, unfamiliar motorhome with 600-700 mile days back-to-back. If you can squeeze an extra travel day into your itinerary and shorten each of the others it'll make the trek back to Texas much more pleasant. Now, if you have a co-driver and you're both very confident you can sleep while the other driver is working it's a bit less crazy, but still quite ambitious.

Buon viaggio!

I would second that advise. I picked mine in Seattle and drove it 1500 miles to Colorado in 2 1/2 days. It was brutal. I was on a time constraint for work. Luck was with us and the trip went without a "hitch". We even managed to see Yellowstone. I try to keep my days to 3 to 400 miles a day with the occasional 7-800 mile day if I'm told we have a commitment to be somewhere.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:55 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
OK , gonna jump in neighbor , " we live in Bastrop" . Don't know about you , but I'd rather detour 500 miles through the depths of hell before going through Los Angeles . If you were to take exit 257 "highway 58 east through Bakersfield to Barstow and pick up I 40 east to Holbrook , Az , then south on 77 to Show Low . turn east on US 60 to I-25 in Socorro , NM . South 11 miles to US 380 , east to Brownfield ,Tx then take US 87 to Brady , then 71 into Austin . This route is so much less of a hassle and takes you through some beautiful country and above all else , it deletes Los Angeles , and El Paso . but it is 19 miles further . Your camper I doubt would benefit from the 80 miles per hour speed limit on I 10 in west Texas . This is a good road all the way as we have traveled it a few times from Bastrop.
Which ever way you go , I hope it's trouble free and enjoyable !

P.S. there is a fantastic roadside park 8 miles into New Mexico on 60 on the south side of the road with lots of room back off the road to spend a relaxing night. lots of big Pinyons and tables . Has always been very clean and peaceful when we stayed there .

and Lamesa has a great little park with free electrical, water and a dump station .
dannydimitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 01:13 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1991 30' Airstream 30
San Francisco , California
Hi Chris, congratulations on your purchase! Keep in mind that driving theses RV's is nothing like driving a car...it takes extra concentration and effort that can wear you out. Take your time, stop often, and enjoy the trip. There is a good post on the forum with a spare parts list...I would recommend hitting an auto parts store and spending the money on essentials. I had a bad coil leave me stranded many miles from the nearest small town...a quick repair if you have the part. Have a great trip, and watch out for people in your blind spot taking photos with their phones!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
SebasSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 01:44 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
pickering , Ontario
530le

The best advise anyone could give someone setting out on a roadtrip would be as follows; join a motorleague, AAA/CAA, or equivalent that will meet your needs; that way you have access to road maps and trailer parks, etc. along your route;
paulwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 02:24 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kota View Post
I would second that advise. I picked mine in Seattle and drove it 1500 miles to Colorado in 2 1/2 days. It was brutal. I was on a time constraint for work. Luck was with us and the trip went without a "hitch". We even managed to see Yellowstone. I try to keep my days to 3 to 400 miles a day with the occasional 7-800 mile day if I'm told we have a commitment to be somewhere.
I guess I should admit that I have built in extra travel days so could back-off the daily run-rate to 400 miles also I'm taking the "chicken" way of I5/I10, i.e. no hills, mountains or scenic stops. Also my wife will join me in Palm Springs as co-driver for the eastern leg.
Main concern is the unknown of the vehicle's "mechanical well being" but will keep the mph below 60 so as keep preserve the 454. I'll start a Twitter page as I leave Seattle and provide a link on this thread. Thanks for all comments.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:27 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwhite View Post
The best advise anyone could give someone setting out on a roadtrip would be as follows; join a motorleague, AAA/CAA, or equivalent that will meet your needs; that way you have access to road maps and trailer parks, etc. along your route;
Have joined Good Sams's road assist to get me at least off the highway..also will have cell access on my iPad to locate RV parks and gas stations. Thanks Paul.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:34 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebasSF View Post
Hi Chris, congratulations on your purchase! Keep in mind that driving theses RV's is nothing like driving a car...it takes extra concentration and effort that can wear you out. Take your time, stop often, and enjoy the trip. There is a good post on the forum with a spare parts list...I would recommend hitting an auto parts store and spending the money on essentials. I had a bad coil leave me stranded many miles from the nearest small town...a quick repair if you have the part. Have a great trip, and watch out for people in your blind spot taking photos with their phones!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
All good advice and I intend to take it easy. Didn't realize that the old 350LE will attract the paparazzi!
As regards spare parts I'm going to take a gamble. Vehicle has new belts and hoses but am not going to
carry GM parts as hope that (a) as a 59,000 one owner rig she'll hold together and in the worst case, find a friendly GM parts outlet!