Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2015, 10:08 AM   #61
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Per my 310 owner's manual, those operating temperatures are normal. Mine have always been about the same. Had the radiator recored as PM, mechanic there was very little crud in it and nothing much changed.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:57 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Glad to hear that you are back on the road Chris. Those temps seem about normal. It's hard to get used to seeing the temp gage up around 200 degrees while just cruising on the flats, but it is what it is. 220 does seem a little high even climbing in winter temps. But if it didn't boil over on you then its something to put on the list for later.
Check for an RV store along your route to pick up the adapter for the stinky slinky.

Does the engine seem to have the same power as before the break down?
Sounds like the challenging mountain climbing is about done for this trip. Hope you can start to relaxe from the earlier troubles and get into enjoying the rest of your first voyage with your new coach

I headed out right after getting my 345 from Fla. Heading for AZ.
And can remember feeling quite over my head with the complexe systems of the motorhome. Now its all starting to feel familure and manageable.

I did enjoy a stop over in Austin, and a very friendly visit with Peter Airstreamer and his talented artist wife there. This is why I was able to recommend his help to you as your trip got under way. A number of others here also extended their numbers and offers to help on my trip too. This is one of the enjoyable and helpful aspects of classic airstream ownership.

Chris you seem to be getting right into the grove with your new coach ( finding and over coming its issues) and finding a home for yourself here with our little family. Good luck with the rest of your trip.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:59 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
You probably already know this, but anyhow: the way you drive a hill can affect how hot the engine gets. If I just keep my foot in it going up a mountain, the motor will get hotter faster. If I go slower, drop down to a lower gear and am able to let off on the throttle a bit, it will run cooler.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:41 PM   #64
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscraw View Post
A brand new EGR valve as fitted late yesterday (arrived via UPS but was not collected from Eugene Airport until early afternoon). This blew any possibility of making Redding by nightfall. However, great news, the old 454 is purrin along. While the EGR valve was jamed shut, the base mount was cracked wide open allowing buckets of air to be sucked in! Made It to Grants Pass, Oregon by 7.30pm after climing some serious 7% mountians although the temp climbed from 200 (normal cruising temp?) to over 220 at the crests which was a little scary to say the least. The high engine temp continues to concern me particularly if I get stuck in traffic.
Today on to Sacramento.
Ran into a "fun" problem when I went to dump the holding tanks. My brand new dump hose would not fit the Airstream/Thetford outlet nozzle! Fortunately only grey water was involved so I was able to dump directly into the site catch-pan. Unfortunalely I've already thrown away the old hose so am stuck with limited "on-board" waste facilities. Is there a special Thetford dump hose for the 1991 motor home...or maybe an adaptor to change down to the smaller hose connector. OK sun is up over Grants Pass to time to get going
Chris
Sometimes stuff happens for a reason, Chris, without the belt issue, you would not have replaced the EGR valve prior to climbing those passes. And you would not have "discovered" the auxilary heater in the rear, which must help some with the managing the engine heat. I would not find 220 alarming in steep climbs.
Onward...
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 12:24 AM   #65
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Keep rolling Chris, the best times are all ahead of you! But at the same time, the "worst" moments and unexpected delays may one day be your fondest memories of your maiden voyage.
Having done a lot of motorcycle travel myself, I often look back at the times that I hid under an overpass to avoid the rain, or got drenched to the skin when I couldn't find one, as some of the best times I ever had.
Sunny blue skies are enjoyable, but confronting adversity and surviving it is unforgettable!
streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 02:11 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Glad to hear you are underway making way!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 01-16-2015, 07:03 AM   #67
4 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
To all you wonderful Streamers, thanks fora all the hints, suggestions and great encourage....so much appreciated!
Leaving Kingman AZ this morning bound for New Mexico about 350 miles. The 350LE seems to be getting stronger as she smells Texas...who could blame her!
Using the RV facilities until I can get the dump adaptor.nice hot showers!
Chris
chriscraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:32 AM   #68
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
To all you wonderful Streamers, thanks fora all the hints, suggestions and great encourage....so much appreciated!
Leaving Kingman AZ this morning bound for New Mexico about 350 miles. The 350LE seems to be getting stronger as she smells Texas...who could blame her!
Using the RV facilities until I can get the dump adaptor.nice hot showers!
Chris
You are now starting to make good time. Your treasure knows there is warmer weather in Texas. Four more days, you should be home.

Safe travels.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 04:41 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Good news Chris, glad that things are rolling along nicely now. And that you are going to be able to drive on thru to your home in Austin.

You will so enjoy having your coach nearby once you get home with it.

Had I known your driving thru on 40 , I could havr driven up for a road side rondevue.

All the best on your continued trip!
Richard
Old 01-16-2015, 06:29 PM   #70
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Great news!!! Should have mentioned I always plan a trip then multiply how long it will take by 3: 1 for actual travel, 1 for delays and 1 for learning mechanics ( break down time)

Keep the jib taunt and bring her on home!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 01-16-2015, 07:56 PM   #71
4 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
At 4335 feet here at Deming, NM. Tonight, the temp is to go down to 25F so's just as well I've got plenty of LP in reserve so will be snug in the 'ol 350LE bedchamber!
Today covered some 400 miles from Kingman AZ.....quiet a drive!
Tomorrow will drive to Fort Stockton and on Sunday home to Austin..Yea!
The 350 wanders all over the road due to slack in the steering components, brakes require the leg strength of a Russian weight lifter and I don't have a filling left in my teeth from all the banging around...this thing is sprung like a stagecoach!
Having said all of that, she is a worthy beast and with nostrils flared, is heading for home.
Chris
Old 01-16-2015, 08:16 PM   #72
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
At 4335 feet here at Deming, NM. Tonight, the temp is to go down to 25F so's just as well I've got plenty of LP in reserve so will be snug in the 'ol 350LE bedchamber!
Today covered some 400 miles from Kingman AZ.....quiet a drive!
Tomorrow will drive to Fort Stockton and on Sunday home to Austin..Yea!
The 350 wanders all over the road due to slack in the steering components, brakes require the leg strength of a Russian weight lifter and I don't have a filling left in my teeth from all the banging around...this thing is sprung like a stagecoach!
Having said all of that, she is a worthy beast and with nostrils flared, is heading for home.
Chris
Funny...
She knows you and you know her, that's established by now
<<Making notes to tell Chris about "steer safe system" and checking front airbags>>
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:16 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Glad you are making progress!! The description of your mechanical woes tells me that 1) your front airbags are not inflated and 2) quite possibly your hydro-vac or brake booster is on the fritz.

Keep coming, you are almost home!
Old 01-16-2015, 10:16 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
"Flared nostrils ". Love it Chris!
Might be able to tune some of the steering play out with an adjustment at the steering box. I dialed out about three inches of play at the steering wheel this way, much better.

You are on a roll now, be light with the whip hand.

Cheers Richard
Old 01-16-2015, 10:58 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
It takes very little to adjust the steering box. One box end wrench, and one Allen wrench. I can't recall the sizes but easy to check for size. In front of and inside of the drivers side wheel. You will find the steering box. On the side of it there is a lock nut holding the adjustment bolt. You insert the correct size Allen wrench and with the box wrench you ease off on the lock nut while holding the bolt in place with the Allen wrench. Once the bolt can turn you turn it one half turn clockwise. Then snug the lock nut while you go check the play at the wheel.
This should take a lot of the play out. If it still has play, repete with one quarter turns till the play is mostly gone. Then tighten the lock nut while holding the bolt in position with the Allen wrench. Don't want to over adjust.
If there is a grinding feeling in the wheel, you went too far, got to back off a little. 1/4 turn at a time.

This may sound complicated but once you get the tools in hand it takes about 15 min. Max.
I did this in the sellers driveway when I got mine and he was blown away. And kicking himself for driving thousands of miles sawing away on the wheel..

It will probably take you less time to do the adjustment that it took me to type this.
Hope this helps.

Happy travels
Richard
Old 01-17-2015, 05:07 AM   #76
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
Funny...
She knows you and you know her, that's established by now
<<Making notes to tell Chris about "steer safe system" and checking front airbags>>

Good to hear, I was about to do the same thing. Proper inflation of the front bags will make a world of difference on the remainder of the ride home. I will scan my paper work from super steer so he knows what to ask for. I did most of the components available.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:36 AM   #77
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
The fill valves for he front bags are on the front bumper, near the center. They take 55 lbs, if I remember correctly.
A couple of small fixes should transform the rest of your trip in a good way.

You will be heading down into lower elevation and slightly warmer temps today. Yea!
Happy trails
Old 01-17-2015, 06:19 PM   #78
4 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
OK...tonight in lovely downtown Ozona Texas in the middle of oil biz it seems judging by the rigs all parked besides me in a really awful RV park called "Economy RV"...get this, $35 to hook-up, no shower or toilet so had to use duck tape to join my no- fit dump hose to the Tethford Airstream fitting.....sort of works for grey water dump only which is all I need tonight.
Other notes:
bwoodstx, thanks for the comments re steering and brake booster...see also posting from teakettle re steering adjustment. PeterH is making copious notes for our get-together in Austin.Won't hassle with the air bag pressure but seems to be the problem along with steering box adjustment, thanks also to WXbouy for his input. Right now, my main focus is getting the old 350LE home to Austin in one piece.
Leaving Ozona early tomorrow, I10 then on to 290 and home by early afternoon. Hope we will all meet at some time, just to reminise and have a laugh. I plan to have the 350 at both the Spring and December get togethers!
I will make a final posting on this thread once safely in the driveway! Thanks again to each and every one of you fine Airstreamers!!
Old 01-17-2015, 07:02 PM   #79
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Quote:
....... I plan to have the 350 at both the Spring and December get together!.......
Which would those be??
Old 01-17-2015, 08:52 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxbuoy View Post
Which would those be??
There is a spring rally in Johnson City, Tx April 10-12 and aBlanco Christmas Rally in Blanco, Tx December 11-13, 2015.