Old 01-02-2015, 01:55 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
OK , gonna jump in neighbor , " we live in Bastrop" . Don't know about you , but I'd rather detour 500 miles through the depths of hell before going through Los Angeles . If you were to take exit 257 "highway 58 east through Bakersfield to Barstow and pick up I 40 east to Holbrook , Az , then south on 77 to Show Low . turn east on US 60 to I-25 in Socorro , NM . South 11 miles to US 380 , east to Brownfield ,Tx then take US 87 to Brady , then 71 into Austin . This route is so much less of a hassle and takes you through some beautiful country and above all else , it deletes Los Angeles , and El Paso . but it is 19 miles further . Your camper I doubt would benefit from the 80 miles per hour speed limit on I 10 in west Texas . This is a good road all the way as we have traveled it a few times from Bastrop.
Which ever way you go , I hope it's trouble free and enjoyable !

P.S. there is a fantastic roadside park 8 miles into New Mexico on 60 on the south side of the road with lots of room back off the road to spend a relaxing night. lots of big Pinyons and tables . Has always been very clean and peaceful when we stayed there .

and Lamesa has a great little park with free electrical, water and a dump station .

Old 01-02-2015, 02:13 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1991 30' Airstream 30
San Francisco , California
Hi Chris, congratulations on your purchase! Keep in mind that driving theses RV's is nothing like driving a car...it takes extra concentration and effort that can wear you out. Take your time, stop often, and enjoy the trip. There is a good post on the forum with a spare parts list...I would recommend hitting an auto parts store and spending the money on essentials. I had a bad coil leave me stranded many miles from the nearest small town...a quick repair if you have the part. Have a great trip, and watch out for people in your blind spot taking photos with their phones!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Old 01-02-2015, 02:44 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
pickering , Ontario
530le

The best advise anyone could give someone setting out on a roadtrip would be as follows; join a motorleague, AAA/CAA, or equivalent that will meet your needs; that way you have access to road maps and trailer parks, etc. along your route;
Old 01-02-2015, 03:24 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kota View Post
I would second that advise. I picked mine in Seattle and drove it 1500 miles to Colorado in 2 1/2 days. It was brutal. I was on a time constraint for work. Luck was with us and the trip went without a "hitch". We even managed to see Yellowstone. I try to keep my days to 3 to 400 miles a day with the occasional 7-800 mile day if I'm told we have a commitment to be somewhere.
I guess I should admit that I have built in extra travel days so could back-off the daily run-rate to 400 miles also I'm taking the "chicken" way of I5/I10, i.e. no hills, mountains or scenic stops. Also my wife will join me in Palm Springs as co-driver for the eastern leg.
Main concern is the unknown of the vehicle's "mechanical well being" but will keep the mph below 60 so as keep preserve the 454. I'll start a Twitter page as I leave Seattle and provide a link on this thread. Thanks for all comments.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:27 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwhite View Post
The best advise anyone could give someone setting out on a roadtrip would be as follows; join a motorleague, AAA/CAA, or equivalent that will meet your needs; that way you have access to road maps and trailer parks, etc. along your route;
Have joined Good Sams's road assist to get me at least off the highway..also will have cell access on my iPad to locate RV parks and gas stations. Thanks Paul.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:34 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebasSF View Post
Hi Chris, congratulations on your purchase! Keep in mind that driving theses RV's is nothing like driving a car...it takes extra concentration and effort that can wear you out. Take your time, stop often, and enjoy the trip. There is a good post on the forum with a spare parts list...I would recommend hitting an auto parts store and spending the money on essentials. I had a bad coil leave me stranded many miles from the nearest small town...a quick repair if you have the part. Have a great trip, and watch out for people in your blind spot taking photos with their phones!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
All good advice and I intend to take it easy. Didn't realize that the old 350LE will attract the paparazzi!
As regards spare parts I'm going to take a gamble. Vehicle has new belts and hoses but am not going to
carry GM parts as hope that (a) as a 59,000 one owner rig she'll hold together and in the worst case, find a friendly GM parts outlet!
Old 01-02-2015, 03:40 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydimitt View Post
OK , gonna jump in neighbor , " we live in Bastrop" . Don't know about you , but I'd rather detour 500 miles through the depths of hell before going through Los Angeles . If you were to take exit 257 "highway 58 east through Bakersfield to Barstow and pick up I 40 east to Holbrook , Az , then south on 77 to Show Low . turn east on US 60 to I-25 in Socorro , NM . South 11 miles to US 380 , east to Brownfield ,Tx then take US 87 to Brady , then 71 into Austin . This route is so much less of a hassle and takes you through some beautiful country and above all else , it deletes Los Angeles , and El Paso . but it is 19 miles further . Your camper I doubt would benefit from the 80 miles per hour speed limit on I 10 in west Texas . This is a good road all the way as we have traveled it a few times from Bastrop.
Which ever way you go , I hope it's trouble free and enjoyable !

P.S. there is a fantastic roadside park 8 miles into New Mexico on 60 on the south side of the road with lots of room back off the road to spend a relaxing night. lots of big Pinyons and tables . Has always been very clean and peaceful when we stayed there .

and Lamesa has a great little park with free electrical, water and a dump station .
Danny...good to know you're just-up the road. Well have to meet-up at some time. Thanks for the route information. I'll have a close look at your suggested "exit 257" route as I agree that to avoid LA traffic at all costs is a must!
Old 01-02-2015, 04:12 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
I meant copilot. Dont know if its your first time driving a vehicle that long but if it is, it sure helps to have someone along in the passenger seat to help with lane changes and what not. Especially if you get into heavy trraffic or in a position where you need to back up. Just a thought, if youre not familiar with it.
I've no illusions about the long drive but "someone has to do it!". My wife will join me in Palm Springs for the drive east so, I at least have a co-pilot for some of the way. As for lane changes..this seems less of a worry than "rubber-necks" trying to take a pic!
Old 01-02-2015, 04:19 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
As an expat Brit I'm staying out of this but one of my Canuck buddies sent me info about this top secret incident that was caught by CSEC (Canada's NSA).

Tony Abbott, Prime Minister of Australia, is rudely awoken at 4am by the telephone.
“Tony, its the Hilth Munister here. Sorry to bother you at this hour but there is an emergency! I've just received word thet the Durex fectory en Sydney has burned to the ground. It is istimated thet the entire Australian supply of condoms will be gone by the ind of the week."
PM: "Shut - the economy wull niver be able to cope with all those unwanted babies - wi'll be ruined!"
Hilth Munister: "We're going to hef to shup some in from abroad... Brutain?..."
PM: "No chence!! The Poms will have a field day on thus one!"
Hilth Munister: "What about Canada?”
PM: "Maybe - but we don't want them to know thet we are stuck."
Hilth Munister: "You call Stephen Harper- tell hum we need one moollion condoms; ten enches long and eight enches thuck! That way they'll know how bug us Aussie’s really are!!"
Tony calls Stephen, who agrees to help the Aussies’s out in their hour of need.
Three days later a plane arrives in Sydney - full of boxes.
A delighted Tony Abbott rushes out to open the boxes. He finds condoms; 10 unches long; 8 unches thuck, all coloured green and gold. He then notices in small writing on each and ivery one.........
MADE IN CANADA - SIZE : MEDIUM

Cheers mate
Tony
I tend to agree with the comment that this is an "oldie but a goodie" as my Dad who was in the Royal Navy used to tell a similar joke. Never the less, good job at flattening the Aussie vowels... coor blimey another expat Brit!
Old 01-02-2015, 04:32 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Chris,

I'll bet that you'll be having so much fun driving, that you'll only want to stop in order to stretch out the maiden voyage; because there is only one Maiden Voyage!
The panoramic forward view from the driver's seat is almost intoxicating as you travel along, so take the most scenic route you can think of.
I'm a big believer in applying a couple of coats of RainX to the windshield. If you run into wet weather, you'll be amazed by its effectiveness and will have little need for the wipers. If it's bone dry the whole time, it will keep the bugs from sticking.

Have a Blast!

Charly
Old 01-02-2015, 04:46 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
speaking of scenic routes , if ya go with the I-40 to Holbrook Rt. You can detour onto the one and only original Rt 66 in Kingman, AZ and come back into I-40 a tad west of Williams , AZ . Great side trip with lots of photo ops along the Mother Road with your Classic Camper. only 17 miles extra distance .
Old 01-02-2015, 06:29 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Another recommendation for couple coats of RainX. Youll be glad you did if you hit some rainy weather. We were in the middle of a heck of a storm driving home from a rally in northern il, literally did not have to use the wipers.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:37 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Advice; take it at your own risk!

Chris,

Here are a few tidbits I have learned in my travels. I have only taken it on trips 3 times, and that was just transporting it. The first was 1250 miles, the second 600 miles and the 3rd 900 miles.

1. Good Sam roadside assistance; you have it so you are good there
2. Only plan to drive 300 miles/day. Go more if you feel like it (only after the first day so you know how sore you will be) but alternate the days. So always follow a long day by a short day.
3. There is nothing better then a good dinner and glass of wine at the end of the day to make you feel great. Pack accordingly.
4. Allstays camp and RV app is a must have. During each stop, I would look down the road for the next one and plan gas stops at places with RV/truck isles.
5. Backup camera; essential for backing up and well worth it when changing lanes at highway speed! If you have to rig something with duct tape, it is money well spent.
6. Carry extra belts. if the pulleys are out of alignment the belt may only last 500+ miles. It will look good and sound fine, but will fail during your trip.
7. Manual; if it doesn't have a full set get one (pm me and I can email you everything but the 454).
8. Stop at least every 90 minutes even if just at a road side rest stop or exit ramp, to stretch. You will not realize how much effort it takes to drive it since you are having so much fun (big grin effect) till you are stove up the next day! Ask me how I know.
9. Advil, Motrin or other long lasting pain medicine for stiff back and shoulders. Take it at the first sign or before you go to bed. If not you will wake up very sore then have to wait around for 2 hours for it to kick in.
10. Seriously take the meds...... It is quite the work out, especially if the bell cranks and steering stabilizer haven't been replaced.
11. Pre-fight; check the front airbags (55psi), oil, transmission fluid, antifreeze, washer fluid, check for inflation of the rear airbags.
12. Have them take you for a test RIDE. You want to hear/observe everything and not be worried about steering.
13. Get a jug of 50/50 antifreeze and one of concentrate (you can use the 50/50 and use the empty jug to put half the concentrate in and fill both so you have another 2 gallons of 50/50). The radiator is 23 years old and if not leaking yet, it will be.
14. Get oil, transmission fluid, etc. if you have it you wont need it, if you don't.... well you know.
15. Get a small box of assorted fuses at the auto parts store. Again, better to have and not need.
16. Take a multi-meter and small tool bag.
17. Take a infrared thermometer. It will tell you what cylinders are running hot, where you might have an exhaust leak and what the temp of the engine is if you temp gauge is OOC. It will also tell you if the A/C's are working right (55-60F coming out or at least 20 degrees below ambient temp). Also the best way to tell how your tires are performing!!!
18. Spare fuel filter (not as important if it isn't diesel, but still good to have)
19. Some "just add hot water meals" for quick road side stops.
20. Cracker barrel is your friend; it is one of the few places that has RV parking and serves a decent breakfast, lunch and dinner.
You can also eat dinner and ask the manager if it would be okay to park there over night so you can have breakfast before you go. You get free parking and they get an added breakfast customer.
21. Walmart's are not as bad as folks make them out to be; for shopping or a quick overnight.
22. Will PM my cell number. Would recommend a few others here on airforums as well. It is very comforting knowing you have folks waiting in the isles if you need advice or just have questions. (what is that funny smell, is that sound normal, where are the fuses- 4 locations by the way. . I am a master at the breakdown and getting towed routine.
23. Seriously, call! I have been walked back from the edge several times by the good folks here on airforums!
24. Make sure you have connectivity (smart phone with data plan or hot spot with ipad/laptop.
25. Take a camera and document it and post it!!! let us live the adventure vicariously through you!
26. Have fun! And realize your cheeks are gonna hurt from all the grinning on the way home!
Old 01-02-2015, 10:58 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Back to the coil: our 310 is was only 2 years older than yours when we bought it, with 50 something thousand miles. A failing ignition coil was missed by 3 mechanics and nearly ruined our maiden voyage. I carry a spare coil and ignition module now, you might want to do the same...