Old 04-21-2014, 07:49 AM   #71
3 Rivet Member

2003 28' Classic
1981 28' Airstream 280
Olympia , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to BusDriver
We are leaving for Alaska May 14 or 15, staying several days at Sheridan Lake with other Aistreamers, in BC, just east of 100 mile house and then head to Hyder Alaska and other new places. Originally we thought we had all summer, but now we see that we have to be back by about August 1st. We might have to go again next year by ferry.

Anyone else going during this time frame?

Check out our Travel Blog
buddytravels.blogspot.com Streamin with Joe and Buddy
BusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:58 PM   #72
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
My wife and I are headed home to Fairbanks in next few days, should be home by May 1. Anyone coming this way is welcome to contact me. Send PM I will give you my cell phone, may not answer it in Canada but will return calls once I am back in AK.
Rick

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Airstream Forums mobile app

2012 1/2 Eddie Bauer, 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 SWB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 68RFE
crisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:55 PM   #73
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Safari SE
Anchorage , Alaska
Break-up

The lakes are still covered in funky ice, but the trees are starting to bud. The hay fever rodeo starts in just a couple weeks. Frost heaves on most roads, pot hole city. Avalanche season in the back country, it can be dangerous if you're not careful.

Geese flocks are showing, moose calves and waking "Bear Alerts" all happen during the break up season. The rivers are still low, but with all this sun and warmth the fish have to be active. The mosquitoes? They're the first to wake up, you have to keep moving when doing any yard work.

The weather in Anchorage has been stellar, no rain, bright sunny almost every day. I actually heard someone say, "it's hot today". Icy spots in our yard almost gone. People are starting to rake away winters accumulation of leaves and sticks. Daffodils and tulips are pushing up on the warm/sunny side of gardens.

Alaskans are solar powered, people are moving and itching to be outside. Officially at 15.5 hours of daylight and we're gaining 5.5 minutes a day, but it is light outside 5:30 - 10:30. 58F here, beautimous!

Friendly heads up: A friend was stopped by a Trooper this past weekend. He was driving in a "Safety Zone" (Safety Zones and Construction Zones have special driving rules) and was randomly pulled over. He found out that he hadn't installed his current tags and, being rattled, couldn't find his current insurance card...which resulted in a whopping $1200 in fines. Apparently, all fines are double fines in the speed Safety Zone. He pointed out that in Alaska its a $10,000.00 fine (highest in the nation) for texting while driving and double in a traffic zone. A real bell ringer for the Troopers who score that ticket in a Safety Zone. The Trooper suggested that he keep his insurance card updated digitally, and to keep his current insurance card accessible on his smart phone. In the end, my friend was able to have the fine reduced by bringing proof of insurance to the DMV.

Maybe we'll get some rain in the couple weeks to wash things off and settle the dust. The rain causes so much to happen around here. Once the buds pop, things turn green over night. If we don't get some rain soon we'll be into mid-May-June our driest season.

Hoping to bump into some you this summer here in 907 AK. Give us a call if you're interested in some friendly conversation, directions, a fish report....or a cup of coffee.

Thanks for listening.
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2014, 01:37 PM   #74
3 Rivet Member

2003 28' Classic
1981 28' Airstream 280
Olympia , Washington
We are almost packed and ready to go, hope to see other Airstreamers along the way. Leaving next week 5/14 going up through Prince George and then north through Dawson Creek, Chicken, Fairbanks, Homer and then wind south to the Cassier Hwy.

Look for 28' trailer towed with a silver Ford truck, WBCCI 7296.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:36 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Please please please try to post often. Would love to follow your adventure. (AK is on my bucket list)
Old 05-09-2014, 12:39 AM   #76
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Safari SE
Anchorage , Alaska
Look at this......gorgeous!

spectacular, splendid, superb, wonderful, grand, impressive, awe-inspiring, awesome, amazing, stunning, breathtaking, incredible

Come on up, .......yes, the weather is fine:

https://www.google.com/search?q=anch...l=np&source=hp

14 day extended forecast for Anchorage, Alaska, U.S.A.

Nothing but sunlight:
Sunrise and Sunset for U.S.A. – Alaska – Anchorage – coming days
Old 05-10-2014, 12:40 PM   #77
3 Rivet Member

2003 28' Classic
1981 28' Airstream 280
Olympia , Washington
Looks good to me, We are going to Fairbanks and then in your neck of the woods about end of June first of July and will probably be staying on one of the bases at the FamCamp.

Hopefully we can meet up.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:41 PM   #78
Trailer crazy

Vintage Kin Owner
Topanga , California
I rode my motorcycle on top of the road end of summer 2013. It was a much nicer road than the Alaskan highway which was under construction when we returned. That said the road construction on the Alaskan Highway may be complete by 2014. I would second taking the Cassiar great road. You will still need to go through the Top of the World or the Alaskan Highway to make it to Alaska. Cris
Old 05-15-2014, 04:08 PM   #79
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
If you guys have an Iphone? Need to down load ALLSTAYS app. Don't leave town with out it
Old 05-15-2014, 11:03 PM   #80
3 Rivet Member

2003 28' Classic
1981 28' Airstream 280
Olympia , Washington
After all this planning, we finally left home, Olympia, WA on Wed. First night at Hope BC, then onto Sheridan Lake where we will stay for about a week with other Airstreamer friends then we will be heading up the road. Will try to keep everyone posted. check out my blog/journal, address below.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:50 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusDriver View Post
After all this planning, we finally left home, Olympia, WA on Wed. First night at Hope BC, then onto Sheridan Lake where we will stay for about a week with other Airstreamer friends then we will be heading up the road. Will try to keep everyone posted. check out my blog/journal, address below.
Fantastic! Looking forward to your updates. Safe travels, and have fun.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:39 PM   #82
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Eagle River , Alaska
Glad to see so many of you coming to visit us here in Alaska!! I do not recommend taking the Cassiar Highway, and the Top of the World Highway can be very rough at times especially during heavy rains. Take your time to enjoy Banff/Jasper National Parks in British Columbia. Glad you have The Milepost that will be your "bible" once you are on the Alaska Highway. Make sure you stop at Liard Hot Springs south of Whitehorse, Yukon Territories, and soak your weary bones there!! Safe travels, and let us know if you have questions about Alaska. As 50-year residents, we have lots of 2-cents worth of advice. Will keep a lookout for you when you get to Alaska you'll be obvious!
Old 05-18-2014, 05:15 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis2013 View Post
Glad to see so many of you coming to visit us here in Alaska!! I do not recommend taking the Cassiar Highway, and the Top of the World Highway can be very rough at times especially during heavy rains. Take your time to enjoy Banff/Jasper National Parks in British Columbia. Glad you have The Milepost that will be your "bible" once you are on the Alaska Highway. Make sure you stop at Liard Hot Springs south of Whitehorse, Yukon Territories, and soak your weary bones there!! Safe travels, and let us know if you have questions about Alaska. As 50-year residents, we have lots of 2-cents worth of advice. Will keep a lookout for you when you get to Alaska you'll be obvious!
I agree about the Top of the World Highway, although it's very pretty. It could be pretty messy under the right conditions.
I'm curious about your "not" recommending the Cassiar though. I came up on the Alaska, and went back on the Cassiar, and really preferred it. Just seemed more mountains, trees, wildlife, don't recall any bad sections. Is it under construction this summer?
Old 05-19-2014, 07:18 AM   #84
2 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
The Villages , Florida
We are just 2 weeks away from blast-off, heading for AK. From FL we will be traveling thru the states for about 5 days before crossing the CAN border in Montana. WE have enjoyed the posts thus far. I have printed a lot of them for future reference. Our original plans were to go thru Calgary to Prince George heading for the Cassiar, thru Whitehorse to Tok. I am now worndering if this is a bad route? Some of you have written that we should not take the Cassiar nor the Alaskian. (WHY?)
We had planned to take the more eastern return thru Dawson Creek and Edmonton. I am now wondering if we should reverse the directions and travel up using this planned return route?
Our trailer now has mud flaps to protect the dump valve handles and the undercarriage just behind the trailer wheels. Also I have made metal covers for the water valves and taped them on with duct tape along with a couple screws. We also have lots of tools, a generator, and new tires all around. I am still debating just what to protect the front of the trailer with. I first planned on indoor/outdoor carpet fastened with grommets and bungie cords on the front corners. Now getting second thoughts. That may be quite heavy once saturated with water. We have done a lot of traveling and on bad roads as well. Where do all the rocks come from? Me or the other vehicles? I do not tailgate and practice slowing down when meeting idiots on gravel roads. I also am not an Indy 500 racer. On good roads (Freeways) I usually do not drive over 60mph and of course slow down on non-Freeways.
Boy, I am puzzled. Cleaning the front of the trailer to remove tape glue is not a problem for me. I have had good success cleaning tar and other stuff using Naphtha. (Started that after being introduced to it by a golf club repair neighbor. Great stuff, does not affect metal or plastics I have used it on.) If the bubble wrap is sufficient, that seems like the easiest to apply and remove, if fastened with duct tape. I have room in the back of the truck to store lots of bubble wrap and tape.
Thanks for all the good information......I am sure it will make our travels a lot more enjoyable and worry free.
Just a side note...I have an engine diagnostic code reader/reset unit I carry just in case I get a "Check Engine Light". At least I have a good idea what the problem might be with that unit.
See you in ALASKA,
Uncle Bill
unkbill123@aol.com
17864 SE 87th Melrose Ct.
The Villages, FL
352-459-9993 (Verizon Cell)