Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2017, 04:33 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
Seattle/San Juan November?

Hello!

My wife and I are planning a trip to correspond with a family Thanksgiving in Seattle. At this point we are thinking that we will head up the weekend before and stay 3-5 nights in Anacortes. The Washington city park looks really nice and we are leaning that direction. We will be taking the ferry to Friday Harbor at least once, but also like to do some exploring on the Anacortes side.

We were also hoping to plan at least one full day (staying nearby) in Cascade National Park. We would love to take The Lady Of The Lake boat ride out of Chelan.

That's as far as we've gotten! But I have some questions for those of you who have travelled that way before;

-Any other recommendations for places to stay? The city park seem like it would meet our needs, but wanted to be open for other options.

-Any ideas for places to stay near Chelan?

-I'm guessing snow is possible, does WA require snow chains on trucks and trailers when appropriate?

-If we skip the Chelan leg because of weather, are there other places along I5 that we need to be concerned about snow besides the Mt Shasta area?

-Any recommendations for places to see around Anacortes, or other area driving distance?

Thanks in advance!
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 04:57 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Gold Canyon , Arizona
I'd recommend Fidalgo Bay RV Resort - matches what you're looking for in and around Anacortes.

The North Cascades Highway (Hwy 20) will likely be closed for the winter so that leaves you US 2 or I-90 as eastbound choices to North Central WA. November weather here can be hit or miss - often snows that time of year. Chelan will be VERY quiet as tourists have fled. Check the forecast before heading over. Most state parks and other area parks will be closed by November. Lakeshore RV Park in Chelan will be open.

As for roads and passes - chains are required to be carried. If your TV is 4wd then you're legal but with chains available. They keep both passes open and clear although a pop up storm or accident has closed both passes at the same time.

Assuming the passes are clear you'll enjoy blue skies and sunshine albeit with chilly temps East of the Mountains. Enjoy.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:42 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Thank you Orondo! That's very helpful!

Can you clarify your statement about chains? I do have a 4wd pickup, but don't have chains for it or the trailer. We are at a spot on 80 where I can usually take back roads to avoid chain control. Do I need to have chains available for the truck? How about the trailer?

Also, when you say that they keep both passes open, are you referring to 2 and I90?

Thanks again!
Old 08-20-2017, 06:28 PM   #4
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
If you want to travel over the Cascade mountain passes in winter, you should plan to carry a pair of chains for the rear wheels of your truck, as they may be required for the pass, depending on conditions. You may not have to use them, but it's best to carry them. As was mentioned above by Orondo, Highway 20 may be closed to all traffic, depending on when they get their first real snow up there. Easiest way across, if you need to do it, is typically I-90.

As for West of the Cascades, there are all kinds of great places to camp - start by checking out the State Parks, some of which may be open. I think most National Forest campgrounds close in October. As for the North Cascades NP, you might want to try Rasar State Park, just west of there. If the NP campgrounds are open from the west end, there is also good camping near Newhalem.

One of the most important lessons about WA: it's much bigger than you think it is.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:35 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Gold Canyon , Arizona
The law requires you to carry chains even tho you are exempt if you engage all drive wheel. There is a require that to chain for GVWR > 10K. Check out the WSDOT website for details.

Having said that I've never been challenged in 30 years even with a truck that is rated over that weight. If it ever gets that bad I stay put as it's not worth it to cross either 90 or Hwy 2 with winter amateur drivers. BTW there are no back roads crossing the state during the winter. You have Hwy 2, I-90, and Hwy 12 further South. Last year there were occasions when All Three were closed for a period requiring people to divert all the way to Portland and across I-84. It's rare but it happens.

http://www.wsdot.com/winter/traction.htm
Old 08-20-2017, 09:26 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Thanks for the info! I will at least get chains for the rear wheels pre-trip.

We will cancel the Chelan leg if the weathers bad. Any other tips? I know we aren't giving Washington the time it deserves, but we are really excited to see the San Juans again!
Old 08-20-2017, 09:43 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
Second the recommendation for Fidalgo Bay RV resort and Lakeshore RV resort. You can reserve Fidalgo online but Lakeshore requires a phone call during weekday. While snow in Nov is not out of the question it is less common. If that happens, head to Port Townsend and stay at Point Hudson, also requires a phone call.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Matt View Post
Hello!

My wife and I are planning a trip to correspond with a family Thanksgiving in Seattle. At this point we are thinking that we will head up the weekend before and stay 3-5 nights in Anacortes. The Washington city park looks really nice and we are leaning that direction. We will be taking the ferry to Friday Harbor at least once, but also like to do some exploring on the Anacortes side.

We were also hoping to plan at least one full day (staying nearby) in Cascade National Park. We would love to take The Lady Of The Lake boat ride out of Chelan.

That's as far as we've gotten! But I have some questions for those of you who have travelled that way before;

-Any other recommendations for places to stay? The city park seem like it would meet our needs, but wanted to be open for other options.

-Any ideas for places to stay near Chelan?

-I'm guessing snow is possible, does WA require snow chains on trucks and trailers when appropriate?

-If we skip the Chelan leg because of weather, are there other places along I5 that we need to be concerned about snow besides the Mt Shasta area?

-Any recommendations for places to see around Anacortes, or other area driving distance?

Thanks in advance!
We went to Orcas Is. this time last year and stayed at Pioneer Trail RV resort just E of Anacortes and would gladly return for another stay.

Passes on I5. Siskiyou on the OR border a straight forward tow, then once over generally good til Weed often high winds. I've found the Black Butte area as it narrows and head downhill to be the most challenging. Last year heading to Pismo in Jan had dry road over Siskiyou but had snow on the road (no chain requirement) and snow just starting to fall from Black Butte down to almost to the lake head area.

happy trails

bob

We always carry chains for TT and TV as he cost of a ticket is huge. However I'll opt to stop and camp if at all possible before I put on chains and tow.

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:22 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Seattle , Washington
For your excursion to Friday Harbor, you may want to make a ferry reservation a few days in advance to be sure of getting on the sailing you want. Even in Fall the reservations sell out for the popular times. http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/
FarFetched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 03:08 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Thank you all for the helpful information!

I was looking at our plans today and was wondering if anyone has done the trip south of Fidalgo Is, eventually crossing on ferry from Clinton to get back to Seattle?

Are Oak Harbor, Coupeville, Freeland, etc. worth visiting? I was thinking that our time might be better spent staying in that area.

Thoughts?
Old 08-25-2017, 03:24 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Just a FYI...killer food stop in Conway at the Conway PUB & Eatery

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.3406.../data=!3m1!1e3

just off I5 S of the turnoff for Anacortes etc.

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 05:48 PM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I would not worry about coastal areas, but inland, freeze and an AS are not really a good combo. Running down the road in sub-freezing temps is likely to get ice forming in some part of you plumbing. Just as you can't predict the snow, you can't guess the whole "mid 30's" vs "mid 20's" thing once you get away from the coast.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:33 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
Just a FYI...killer food stop in Conway at the Conway PUB & Eatery

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.3406.../data=!3m1!1e3

just off I5 S of the turnoff for Anacortes etc.

Bob
Thanks for this! Always looking for great food options!
Old 08-25-2017, 06:35 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

I would not worry about coastal areas, but inland, freeze and an AS are not really a good combo. Running down the road in sub-freezing temps is likely to get ice forming in some part of you plumbing. Just as you can't predict the snow, you can't guess the whole "mid 30's" vs "mid 20's" thing once you get away from the coast.

Bob

Agreed! Around here, the coast is always the safer bet! Though I don't mind a little snow, I'm not into the sub 20* temps anymore.