Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2007, 06:55 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Seattle camping recommendations

Hello,
We are planning a trip to Seattle, WA in the beginning of August for a wedding. I'm hoping for some experienced advice on where to go (RV, full hook-ups).

We may also decide to take a little jaunt on over to Yellowstone, then Jackson to visit my Dad. Any ideas on RV places en route from Washington to Yellowstone? The other option is from Portland to Jackson (Yellowstone, last)... must decide... and get husband's boss on board .

Yahoo! Maps, Driving Directions, and Traffic

Thanks!!

"If you want something done right, do it yourself!"
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:02 PM   #2
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
If your stop in Missoula. You can stop in at Jim and Mary's just north of Missoula a couple of miles on 93. 406-549-4416. about four hours from Yellowstone.
Jim and Mary

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:37 PM   #3
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Hi Tanya,

Glad to see, after all of your very creative work (have enjoyed reading your posts) that you are taking a road trip!

Specifically, where in Seattle is the wedding? As the Seattle traffic can be miserable, I'd recommend that you park close relatively to your destination, or, at least on an advantageous travel corridor.

However, the closer into cilivilization, the more concrete the park!

Maple Grove RV part is a very clean park in Everett, north of Seattle off of I5. The entry seems a bit daunting; we made it in there & out again with our 34'. Also, a good park on I90 east of Seattle. near Issaquah, is Blue Sky. We stayed there years ago-it is in a more treed area.

There is an Airstream park in Lacey, near Olympia, (I5 exit 111-Land Yacht Harbor) that has full hookups & is very reasonable. Most places near Seattle are going to be $35+ per night.

How much time do you have between Seattle & Jackson? There are sooo many cool places in between - are you looking for full hookups every night? Looking for a place to stay for a day or two & do some exploring?

If you have time, & are staying in the north end of Seattle, you might want to take US highway 20 east through the mountain & visit Leavenworth. (there's a couple of places to stay there) Then, you could tag south to I90, maybe head over to Yakima (wine tour??) & onto I84.

We've taken all of the routes from the Seattle area that lead east (& south) - they all have much to offer.

Carolyn
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
There's also a KOA in Kent that's just south of Seattle via I5.. nice green area. I agree, which part of Seattle is the wedding? There's a nice city park (Tolt Park) south of Redmond that's nice with hookups... Marymoor park has electricty only, but it's fairly central. Too bad I can't offer street parking... no RV's allowed on the streets
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Thank you for all the great suggestions! I don't know exactly where the wedding is yet- the couple sent a "Save the date" card and listed Mukilteo on it- but we're unclear if that's where they live or where they'll marry.

As to our plans for the Yellowstone/Jackson trip: I'd like to make a month of it- but that's an aluminum mirage. We'd really like to minimize the time in the truck- around 3-4 hours, and maximize the time in Jackson, since we're aiming to visit my dad. However, I don't want to just stay over in-between; I'd like the traveling part to also feel like the vacation... ya' know- plus there is a 2, 8, and 15 y/o in the truck as well.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:10 PM   #6
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Seattle Camping

Mulkiteo is on the north side of the Seattle area - it is closer to Everett than Seattle. So, staying on the north side is very desirable.

If you're headed to Jackson, you might want to make reservations??? The Virginian is a reasonable RV park, located in Jackson proper. Lots for the age range of kids to see & do in Jackson.

One of our favorites is Colter Bay Trailer Village in Grand Teton Park - I went there with my folks the first year the RV park opened - the trees were really short & you could see Jackson Lake from about every site. We stopped back two years ago with our 74 - the trees are really big now (guess that's what 40+ years will do) - no lake view - still, a neat area. Reservations definitely required, if they're not booked for the season already.

When you head east, you might take either WA 20 or US 2 over Stevens Pass. Leavenworth remade itself in the 60's as a Bavarian mountain town. From there, head to Yakima - Aug is the start of the fruit season.

If you head southeast on I82, you will intersect with I84 - the Pendleton woolen mills & museum is interesting - east of Pendleton, you climb into the Blue mountains - after the driness of eastern WA & OR, the change is welcome. There's several Oregon trail historical parks there. Emigrant Springs Rec Area, etc.

Several reasons that I suggest going this route: 1) It's a shorter distance from Seattle to Jackson; 2) will have to get an update on this one - for several years, Yellowstone has been modernizing their roads, most of which were constructed in the 30's by the WPA - we went through there pulling our trailer 2 years ago & were not impressed - again, check the construction through there; 3) If you come in from I90 through Gardiner, US 89 is quite a pretty route BUT, the twists & turns & climb into Mammoth is a towing challenge!

I'm sure you'll get other suggestions, hopefully from people living in the areas of your travels.

Happy Trails!

Carolyn
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:18 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
ahh....

ok, now you're talking. Mulkiteo... I don't ride the ferry (search WA state ferry system), http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/sche...m?route=muk-clbut I great place to stay would be Deception St. Park on Widbey Island. You can drive across to the campground from I-5 to Burlington and head West towards Anacortes, drive towards Deception Pass.http://www.parks.wa.gov/parkpage.asp...ception%20Pass

From there, you will camp, and then drive south across the island and take the ferry to the wedding. That time of year will be gorgeous! Deception St. Park is one of the better rating parks out there.... I'd reserve space ASAP if you know the dates. The reason I suggest driving more north and then taking the ferry sans trailer is that the ferry is expensive with the trailer... not so with just the truck.

Save the date for August? THIS August? Cutting it kind of close, no?

let us know if you need to know more!
Marc
Old 06-12-2007, 10:26 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
I'll say! I guess I'm going to put my husband on nailing down the exact location and time of the wedding. I imagine they could send invitations 2 weeks before...

We went to Doe Bae last year for a wedding... sorta the same thing... not a lot of warning--- lots o' $$ to attend--- When My husband and I got married, we chose a central location, easy for everyone to get to- WE did the driving!! Oh well, I love to travel, and even better with the airstream!!

Psst... and the brakes!! They are awesome!!

Thank you for the great options! I will call about reservations after Mark gets his cousin tied down for dates. I hope it's not a pot luck !

Whitelight, thank you for the route suggestions! I am definitely interested in a shorter drive, and an easy tow- I imagine with a long trip and a food situation: we must carry a lot with 3 lions (& husband= 4) to feed, an easy tow would be good.

The cool thing about Jackson is we can park at my Dad's, so no problem there- but I will have a gravel road situation (must get mud flaps).

I will need to figure out Yellowstone, hopefully .... oh man, this is funny, I post while drinking coffee (in the AM, usually) and I just realized this wedding is in September-- had a scare because I'm even trying to end the trip at the Beverly Beach Rally (OR)-- and THAT, I know is in September. Whoa, what a dork.

So, Reservations in Yellowstone... it is possible to get 1st come 1st serve if we left my Dad's way early in the AM. That is, if they have spaces allotted to no reservations.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:35 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Check out Lake Pleasant RV Park in Bothell . I haven't stayed there but a friend tells me their in-laws make it their base camp every summer when they make their Seattle stop on their summer tour. Location would be very convienent to Mukilteo. I-405 continues on past I-5 and becomes the Mukilteo Speedway. Avoid the places along Hwy 99. -Bernie
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:37 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
1960 26' Overlander
Mount Vernon , Washington
For the seattle area...
If you are considering deception pass SP then you can also try bayview SP. This is near where I live and I drive down past Mulkiteo every day. it take me 40 - 60 min. to drive.
Also there is Camano Island SP.
All the SP can be hard to get into this time of year on weekends and reservation a must.
Also there is Lake Pleasant RV Park in Bothell.
garthbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:47 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
If you plan to stay on Whidbey Island then Fort Ebey is the Crown Jewel of the State Parks in this area. Especially if you like mtn biking! All the trails are also great for hiking and the view across Puget Sound is magnificent. I echo garthbf's comment though about getting reservations early (like now). Oh, you can probably get a spot at South Whidbey State Park any time because the beach is closed to repair storm damage. It would be the closest to the Mukilteo Ferry. Great as foot/bike passengers, OK if you're vehicle isn't over height (6'6"?) but definitely NOT something you want to do with the trailer. -Bernie
Old 06-12-2007, 03:45 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Bernie...

what kind of Mtb riding is at Ft. Eby? I've cut my teeth at St. Edwards, done the Tolt and the Worm in Renton.

Is it more singletrack type stuff? I'm not so into jumping logs, but can....

Just did a quick 40 today, beautiful in the sun!
Marc
Old 06-12-2007, 05:35 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Ebey's WAY easier than the Worm. Lots and lots of fast single track. It's truely one of the destination areas in the State. Location, location, location

Check out the BBTC Trail Info Guide

-Bernie
Old 08-28-2007, 11:10 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Hello again! The date is creeping up and I have a planning question. We are staying at Deception Pass and the wedding is on a Saturday at 3pm in Mukilteo. According to google maps (and ferry transit) it will take approx. an hour and a half to get to Mukilteo via the ferry, plus wait times and getting there early for boarding. The I5 route says an hour and fifteen minutes, without wait times at a ferry... but what about traffic...? Do I want to take the ferry for fun and time saving, or should I think about taking it there and not back, since we'll leave the wedding some time after 10pm (I think)?

I can only guess the pros and cons... someone sway me... please!!

Old 08-28-2007, 11:32 AM   #15
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Hi Tanya,

I'll give it a shot! First, excellent choice on campgrounds - I love Deception Pass. Beautiful place, with lots to keep you busy.

If it were me, I think I'd drive down to the Clinton dock on Whidbey and hop on the ferry. Still allow plenty of wait time there, but it's a fun experience (and will be much less expensive than if you were to take your trailer on board!) Traffic through Everett can be a nightmare, regardless of day/time. I'd rather be on the boat.

Just my $.02 worth.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:40 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
They are also doing a lot of roadwork up there in Everett. At least when I was up there. I'd take the boat there and drive back later. Much rather sit on the boat than sit in traffic !
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:43 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Tough choice..

The Ferry ought to be fun, but I'd plan on using it on way over and go early, since schedules tend to slip, and missing ferry due to crowding would be disaster.. May need to drive home long way around, since I don't know how late that ferry keeps going at night...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:48 AM   #18
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Tanya, here's the current ferry schedule (valid through September 29th).
Old 08-28-2007, 04:30 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Er... if the Weddings on a Sunday, traffic will be bad on the ferry going towards Mul..... everyone's trying to go home from the islands. I say shoot for the earlier ferry, and either enjoy the surprise of getting across early, or know at least you'll get on the right ferry to begin with. Traffic is bad right at the junction of Mulkitio (sp) Speedway exit and I5 with all the repaving, but most of the construction is done in the evening. I was through there on Monday, and they have the paving done about 60-70%.

That said, I too would rather wait for the ferry... but I'd hate for you to miss the one you want... that's why I say shoot for the earlier one. Any chance you could walk on the ferry (or bike?) and have someone pick you up on the other side? No problem getting on that way!

Enjoy the sights of the NW! I'll be in lovely Cinn. OH for a wedding myself this weekend. Joy!
Marc
Old 08-28-2007, 06:27 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoiacoast
Deception Pass and the wedding is on a Saturday at 3pm in Mukilteo. According to google maps (and ferry transit) it will take approx. an hour and a half to get to Mukilteo via the ferry, plus wait times and getting there early for boarding. The I5 route says an hour and fifteen minutes, without wait times at a ferry... but what about traffic...? Do I want to take the ferry for fun and time saving, or should I think about taking it there and not back, since we'll leave the wedding some time after 10pm (I think)?

I can only guess the pros and cons... someone sway me... please!!
Hi Tanya, You will need to take I-5 north through Everett construction to get to Deception Pass (can't say enough good about this place). Take you time and patience. The road is heavily grooved with a few good bumps and confused drivers. Please take the ferry to the wedding. Way less stress what a ride. If you are driving through
Everett on a week day try to make it before 2:00 PM. Hope this helps.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote