Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2015, 05:15 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Classic
Moutain Center , California
Just wondering....

There was quite a long list of "man stuff" then only one thing (cooking) listed as "girl stuff" - who does the laundry, dishes, cleaning, shopping?
CJ Winch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 05:25 PM   #22
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Looks like the life to me.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:39 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
formerly of Tustin, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach , California
It's good to read that other couples share the same duties and I do agree that I get the better of the deal. I was warned by the AS dealer to make sure I work with the wife when stationing the trailer and be patient; we have slowly but surely become better at directions and my wife helps with the stabilizer bars and the safety chains. We have been with each other pretty much 24/7 for the last six months (except for a few visits to a local gym on my part) - something I thought would be tough to do but when it's pretty much just the two of us in new situations and environments, we have found comfort in each other.

LOGRIDER, you're right. We found two unbelievably gorgeous and isolated dry camping spots. One of them is off Scenic Byway 12, about 12 miles east of Escalante, UT. While heading east, there is an overlook on your left about 10 miles outside of town and is the first breathtaking view of the road below. When you go past the overlook, there's a hard left followed by a short downhill stretch to another hard left. Right before the second hard left is a dirt road to the right with a cattle guard. Follow that for almost two miles. You'll have to tow up a short and steep S-curve section but we just put our Tundra in 4WD-lo and pulled our 28' International up it; I'm not even sure we needed the 4WD. You'll cross a second cattle guard and about 500 feet past it on your left is a beautiful turnaround for your AS. You can park right next to a ledge that overlooks canyon country (see my previous disperse camping post on the Fulltiming forum). I was told that this road gets populated as the weather turns warmer but when we found it in early May, there was nobody else camped on the road (Spencer Flats Road). It's a 20 min ride back to town but you'll find everything you need. Go visit The Outfitters Cafe for some really good grub (and hiking equipment & books) and say hi to Page and Ali - two really nice waitresses.

The other spot we loved was outside the Needles portion of Canyonlands and about 26 miles NW of Monticello, UT. When you drive Hwy 191 north out of Monticello, take a left on Hwy 211 at Church Rock (on your right). I can't remember the mileage to the sign but look for the Indian Creek Recreation Area sign and take the dirt road to the left. We went in about 2-3 miles a bit past an isolated hill lookout on the right and backed into a spur road inside a draw to the left; there was a game trail in the draw and the back end had a rounded cliff outcrop. That dirt road is decent for AS travel and has plenty of spur roads to turn around. You can go back even further into Harts Draw. We would only see a few trucks/cars drive by over a week in addition to some cowboys doing their work. If you hit Newspaper Rock past the steep downhill switchback, you've gone too far. Canyonlands is a short drive further west and is worth the drive. You can get great info too at the Monticello visitor center; say hello to Mary from Brooklyn - she's great! The center also provides free drinking water inside for your jugs.

The road always calls out to us and we want to move on but when you find a great dry camping spot, we sorta feel sad to leave. But there's always next time.

Photos: Spencer Flats Road outside of Escalante, Harts Draw outside of Monticello
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01928.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	235996   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02210.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	235997  

westcoastas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 05:43 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Winch View Post
There was quite a long list of "man stuff" then only one thing (cooking) listed as "girl stuff" - who does the laundry, dishes, cleaning, shopping?
Good catch! My wife does the laundry because she doesn't trust me with the use of bleach but I do help fold! I wash the dishes as part of the deal but there are times when I'm so stuffed from a huge dinner, I wake up and the dishes are already done We both do the cleaning and go shopping together; our phones don't always work and so I don't like us being apart for too long.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:51 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Who gets to pick out the music?

To me that is the task that really defines who is feeling in charge that day!
Fortunately we are liking the same music since we left. We have put together a playlist called "Life Soundtrack." Wouldn't life be grand if we all had a soundtrack to go through each day? I went back to some documentaries and movies that inspired us to hit the road and their soundtracks fit so well for our travels: 'Mile...Mile and a Half'; '180 Degrees South'; and tracks from Gustavo Santaolalla who did 'Motorcycle Diaries'. I've also added music from Fleet Foxes, Aisha Duo, and anything else that fits a road trip. We carry a couple Bose speakers that add so much to our stay in the outback.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:01 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
I'm sorry that happened, Maggie. After the current tornadoes pass through IL, put the pork on the grill...grab some red wine, and offer a toast to loved ones. Have a great year. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:43 PM   #27
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Congrats!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:48 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Boerne , Texas
Wow!! Wonderful life!
Rusty Ruby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:57 AM   #29

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
It looks like a great combination. Enjoy the ride!
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote