Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2018, 08:49 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Byron , California
A few years ago Chevy Chase was in one of his "Vacation" movies where he lost his wallet.
Funny watching but probably not so funny in real life. After that the wife and I carry different CC's from different accounts. We have had cards canceled on us by the bank when they felt there was fraudulent use. Citi especially seems to have a hair trigger. My credit union does not charge for their CC.
obytheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 09:53 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I use a very isolated debit card from a credit union that I can reload from another bank in 24 hours or so. Keep just enough in that account for 2-3 day’s of gas and stuff.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:05 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Same bank, different year. I thought you'd get a chuckle out of this.

I was gone a month from Florida to Colorado and back. I used the debit card for fuel all along the way as well as the usual grocery stops. I was 40 miles from returning home and fueled up because I liked leaving the MH full. Card rejected. Called customer service and they said it was because they detected the card being used out of my local area. "I've been using it out of my local area for a month and you're just noticing it now? That's your security?"
They apologized.

BTW, while online yesterday I noticed they now have a way to notify them if you're going on a trip, and to not cut your card off. Good idea.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:28 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Capital One will text me to okay a purchase in process, if there is a suspicion of fraud.

If I don’t see/hear it immediately, the charge stays in “pending” til I press a link and the charge is approved.

I try to use my PNC debit and credit card whenever possible while traveling, so the bank and Capitol One always know generally where I am.

If I’m at the airport waiting for a flight, I use them for coffee, lunch, or other small purchase.

Just saves me from surprises and the aggravation of a hold put on them.

Maggie
Old 08-26-2018, 08:33 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
We use cash for everything. We inside a bank and get cash advance when we get low on cash. When parks ask for C.C. To hold res I give them and pay cash when checking in. We travel all though the USA with no problems. Cash is King.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:58 AM   #26
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
There are many CC that do not have a fee. There are almost as many that reward with cash back. My debit card provides enough fraud protection to keep me comfortable with it's use.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 06:21 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Annual fees?

I haven't paid annual fees since the early 90s...……... or was it the 80s? You have the wrong card.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:09 AM   #28
International Grey Nomad

1999 35' Cutter Bus Diesel Pusher
Bulahdelah , NSW Australia
We travel with three credit cards from bank A, we each have two debut cards from different banks B and C, a travel cash card from D and enough cash ti cover at least a few days of normal spending.
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:53 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
We carry 4 CC cards, including AMEX, Visa, MC, and also carry 2 ATM cards. We have money in 3 CU's and a bank...don't ask me why...wifes thing. But, we are covered if something happens...just makes you really think when paying bills!

Had a card stolen from mail box, card number stolen while traveling and $2,300 charge in Italy...(BOA covered loss and replaced), also had CU "hacked" by overseas hackers...where my card was refused...did not know why I was refused until I called the CU to find out what had happened...they also sent new card..few years back. Not sure there is a "best" solution until we are all microchipped!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 12:55 PM   #30
Undereducated AS Newbie

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Charlotte , North Carolina
BOA, for 1, has an online option to provide a travel alert. We use several different cards from different banks & carry travelers checks + cash.

Re: Citi
Several years ago, driving a limo, 2 hours from home @ 1:30 AM, stopped, gassed up, parked the limo. Ate some fast food & arrived home to realize wallet had been left on the trunk & vaguely remembered someone getting out of a car & walking towards the trunk while I was inside.

Called to report lost cards, no problem until I called about the card in my wife's name, Bangalore call center, rep insisted on talking to the cardholder. "4 AM, I'm not going to wake my wife, you need to cancel the card." We can't do that without speaking to cardholder, etc. After several minutes of begging, hung up.

Citi ate $300 in charges, no other cards had charges. Loss prevention person called about the charges & was not a happy camper when told about the CSR refusing to cancel the card.
wimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:01 PM   #31

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I just had an experience where social security reported me as dead and I had 2 credit cards cancelled without me knowing. Had to go to local SS office to prove I was alive, get a letter from that office noting they made a mistake, fax the letter to the credit card issuers to get the cards reactivated. Took another 2 weeks to reactivate my Medicare and drug and supplemental plans. Things get crazy when the govt thinks you are dead.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:58 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Good to hear, Jack!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:20 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
“Reports of Jack’s demise have been greatly exaggerated,” with a nod to Mark Twain[emoji3][emoji3]
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:04 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
I just cancelled my Bank of America M/C due to reports I was hearing they aren't friendly to all our constitution rights. Specifically, those companies lawfully conducting business that involve the 2nd amendment (mostly Mom & Pop businesses but also stopping lines of credit to some manufacturer's).

I chafe (and that's putting it mildly) at anyone deciding which constitutional rights I or others may freely exercise. I waited until we came back from our May trip to cancel so as not to negatively impact our travels.

And yes, I notified them all we would be traveling sometime within a 90-day window. I remember that I had to call them, since their on-line options included selecting only a single individual state. That did not work for me.

One company asked me which states. Since I didn't know how far we'd get (but I knew we were headed out West), I told them Washington State and any or all states between here and there.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 12:51 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We travel with 2 credit cards and some cash stashed. Once the card we use most often was rejected at a fast station on the way home from a trip. I called customer service and they said it was because the card had been used in three states in 1 day...that's easy to do with you are in the Four Corners region, but they flagged it .... so now I go online to the bank prior to a trip ... you can tell them of your travel plans, so when you use it hither and yon they are not surprised..

When this rejection happened we had another card. If/when this happens to you and you talk to the bank about a replacement card, you can ask for expedited delivery and they will overnight the new card. At least our bank will. But you must ask for that service...they don't offer it as a matter of course.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 04:20 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
If you use the Costco VISA - it is a very good cash back deal in my experience - be advised that the card is NOT accepted at Costco stores or fuel stations anywhere in Canada. All Canada Costco stores accept only Master card.

We recently learned that while trying to refuel in Prince George, BC. We had several VISA cards and 2 different AMEX cards. But no Master card.

They suggested buying Mastercard gift cards if you plan to travel in Canada. These are accepted at the fuel pumps. Cash is not accepted at the fuel pumps.

“If it ain’t one thing it’s another.”
WestieHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:42 AM   #37
Undereducated AS Newbie

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Charlotte , North Carolina
Lastpass for your Online Security

An ancillary issue to card & online safety, I've found the LASTPASS password app to be bulletproof. I have over 150 websites I use which require a log-on & password.

With this app, I've got all my passwords in one secure location, keep my log-on password in a separate DOC file so only 2 other people (son & wife) are aware of its location (in case I forget or am not around).
wimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:09 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wimpy View Post
An ancillary issue to card & online safety, I've found the LASTPASS password app to be bulletproof. I have over 150 websites I use which require a log-on & password.

With this app, I've got all my passwords in one secure location, keep my log-on password in a separate DOC file so only 2 other people (son & wife) are aware of its location (in case I forget or am not around).
I agree - have had similar positive experience with Last Pass for three years. Use for all accounts requiring passwords. Always secure and available. The paud version has a few useful options, but there is a free version.
WestieHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 02:47 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Geneva , Florida
I personally never use a debit card and never activate the ones they send me. I have had my credit cards skimmed by gas pumps. That would be really bad if it was a debit card since you have to wait for the bank to give you back the money and other checks you have written can bounce. I use credit cards that not only charge no annual fees but also give me cash back. Typically with my visa I get back over $400 a year from them. Yep, they pay me!
Freebird73 is offline   Reply With Quote