Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2015, 10:55 AM   #61
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Gene, you're delving into uncharted territory for Airstreams, at least for a round trip. I don't think we can include the 4wd trails as scary roads because they really aren't roads. The Squeeze on the Elephant Hill trail would be interesting. Notice the scratches on the walls from mirrors and roof racks as vehicles need to run their passenger side tires up the side wall to squeeze thru...
There's something I wouldn't try unless I was riding a bike or really beater 4 wheeled vehicle.

Do they ever do timed speed runs through there?

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:28 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Miss Thing , our GPS navigator thing in the truck was throwing a fit last May when we refused to tow the Airstream up the Teluride side of the Black Bear Road to get to Ouray . We have been across it before in a 1964 F 100 long wheel base pickup before though. Quite interesting to say the least :-)
dannydimitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:34 PM   #63
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Ag&Au, unfortunately some of us suffer from vertigo when looking over thousand-foot drop-offs-- let alone if there's snow on the road, it's narrow with oncoming traffic, or the road surface is in poor shape. Then it's not just scenery anymore.

Scariness is in the mind of the beholder. But it's not all bad. Some people should be more scared than they are. In the Moab area, SUV drivers who are inexperienced, drunk, drugged or all three take more chances than they should. A friend who works at the Moab hospital just dreads the annual Easter jeep safari weekend because of the casualties.

Astronaut Chris Hadfield had a wonderful saying, that astronauts are trained to distinguish between a fear and a danger.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:15 AM   #64
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
Ag&Au, unfortunately some of us suffer from vertigo when looking over thousand-foot drop-offs-- let alone if there's snow on the road, it's narrow with oncoming traffic, or the road surface is in poor shape. Then it's not just scenery anymore.

Scariness is in the mind of the beholder. But it's not all bad. Some people should be more scared than they are. In the Moab area, SUV drivers who are inexperienced, drunk, drugged or all three take more chances than they should. A friend who works at the Moab hospital just dreads the annual Easter jeep safari weekend because of the casualties.

Astronaut Chris Hadfield had a wonderful saying, that astronauts are trained to distinguish between a fear and a danger.
There's something you should know about me to understand where I'm coming from.

7 years ago, I spent 6 months being treated for an allergy to something, but no allergist could figure out what it was. It started out as hives and then over time transitioned to angioedema.

One evening after puffing up and having difficulty breathing, I went to the ER for the third or fourth time in a coupe weeks. They could not get the reaction under control, so they admitted me to the hospital. I noticed during the night that every time they gave me prednisone, which was supposed to help, it made things worse. At 3 AM I told them that I was not going to allow them to give me any more prednisone until I talked to an MD. They rousted my poor family doctor out of bed. He came in, saw how agitated I was, and told the nurse to give me some Ativan (an antianxiety drug) in my IV. Within a few minutes I was markedly improving.

He said, "I wonder how much of this is anxiety."

Even after this it still took the allergists a while to give up, and decide it might be something psychological triggering my allergic reaction. Well, that turned out to be the case. My body reacts to anxiety, as though I am allergic to it. I puff up and if carried to extreme, my throat swells and I have trouble breathing.

After trying a few different counselors with no results, I finally ended up in an outpatient therapy group, and one of the counselors there was just what I need. He helped me find the mental tools to control my anxiety, by identifying the cause and then deciding if it was real or not. The solutions were simple, if it is a real concern, avoid it, if not a real concern, relax and ignore it. For me, it worked.

As I result, I have to a degree developed the ability to ignore things that would have scared me before, by logical analysis.

So believe me I can understand how people can be afraid of things I'm not, and also I have to do my best to convince myself some things I perhaps should fear to some degree are not a problem.

However I am still subject to anxiety from imaginary things it takes a while to identify at times.

My analysis (not any doctor's) is that all the prednisone I was getting during the allergy treatments exacerbated this problem and since I subsequently avoid it or any other drug apt to worsen anxiety, my reactions to anxiety have greatly diminished.

That's the end of Dear Abbey for this AM

Ken
Old 01-05-2015, 10:30 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
George Carlin had a comment that is relevant to this thread, and this discussion:

"I don’t have a fear of heights. I do, however, have a fear of falling from heights."
field & stream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:03 AM   #66
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by field & stream View Post
George Carlin had a comment that is relevant to this thread, and this discussion:

"I don’t have a fear of heights. I do, however, have a fear of falling from heights."
It's weird that it takes a comedian to get the real heart of a problem.

Ken
Old 01-05-2015, 11:40 AM   #67
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Bartlett , Illinois
Not really about anxiety, but worrying. Kind of a similar affliction we all suffer from at times.

I had a friend that always said...Worrying is like using a rocking chair. It's something to do but it does not get you anywhere.
Bluestar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:11 PM   #68
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestar99 View Post
Not really about anxiety, but worrying. Kind of a similar affliction we all suffer from at times.

I had a friend that always said...Worrying is like using a rocking chair. It's something to do but it does not get you anywhere.
Check this link.

Excessive worry - 12 Signs You May Have an Anxiety Disorder - Health.com

It talks about worrying and anxiety
Old 01-05-2015, 03:40 PM   #69
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
1984 31' Excella
Springfield , Missouri
Just came across this topic.

Are we talking about scary roads without pulling a trailer

Or
Are we talking about scary roads pulling a trailer?

Or
Are talking about normally not scary roads that turn into scary roads because of weather, repairs, whatnot --- pulling a trailer or not.

Or
Are we talking about dumb brother-in-law who knows a short cut.... hint it involves levee roads, a ferry crossing and 6 units all pulling big trailers... adn Louisianna mud.

The other scary road due to weather is the trip we took to Lancaster PA to pickup our AS in January 2007... remember that was the year of hte big ice storms.
Jim Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:59 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Jim... all of the above.

I can take you places that are a non event in your tow vehicle.

Attach your 31 foot Airstream and you will be crying for your mother to get you out of this mess!

My example of Independence Pass east of Aspen, Colorado can create some anxiety just in a wide pickup truck. I found towing a 23 foot Airstream by pure accident not having a way to exit or turn around... SCARY enough. A 31 foot... I would be crying mama... all the way to the Pass!

So it is all relative. What kind of terrifying tow vehicle route do you want to try? Or, I could find an unlimited number of back roads that look great on a map for towing your Airstream... and would make a great 30 minute action thriller for television.

Pick your poison and we in the Rockies will provide it to... YOU.
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:03 PM   #71
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The Squeeze in Canyonlands NP—I know a 1990 Nissan Base Model (yes, that's what they called it) pickup will fit through unharmed. Great truck—145,000 miles and only $400 in repairs. It is probably still going somewhere.

Jim, to answer your question, all I know is "scary" and "roads" and anything vaguely associated with it.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:44 PM   #72
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
So, how does one find a GPS, App or map collection that warns of the roads to avoid when towing a TT? For example, I see that AllStays Camp & RV warns about a road grade of 6% on route 82 at Independence Pass, and warns of a 7% grade for 3 miles at Fremont Pass on route 92 on the way to Leadville, but I don't know what it might be missing.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:56 PM   #73
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Mountain Driving Guide for Truckers, RV and Motorhome Drivers

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:57 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
B.C. is 80% mountains. Route planning = choose your poison.

Was I stupid to tackle this stretch on my first trip? I had no choice. Was one 'ell of an initiation, though, especially when the trailer brakes were set too high and the poor trailer was screaming and jumping down the mountain like a rabid jack rabbit......

Old 01-07-2015, 06:04 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Trailing towing and Tractor Trailer towing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvery Moon View Post
So, how does one find a GPS, App or map collection that warns of the roads to avoid when towing a TT? For example, I see that AllStays Camp & RV warns about a road grade of 6% on route 82 at Independence Pass, and warns of a 7% grade for 3 miles at Fremont Pass on route 92 on the way to Leadville, but I don't know what it might be missing.

I suspect the grades are more important for 18 wheeler traffic. These grades do not bother me at all.

It is the WIDTH that concerns me. I have never been on an asphalt road or highway that was difficult to travel on dry surfaces and a steep grade. Slower going down and find a comfortable gear going up.

Glacier National Park, Montana and Bighorn Mountains, Wyoming have similar grades... but .... for ... a .... long... way! Smell them brakes from the other traffic... time to slow it down by down shifting and sporadic braking to maintain the screaming passenger volume to a minimum.
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:43 PM   #76
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
True enough. My previous example of Chinook pass on route 410 in WA is a case in point. While it can be a little exciting due to the drop-offs, expansive views and grades of 6%, it isn't scary-narrow. As a result, it's not all that worrisome as long as you shift down and carefully manage your speed on the down slope to prepare well for the sharp curves before you get to them.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:26 PM   #77
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
6 or 7% grades should not be a problem for a well powered tow vehicle. Interstates in the mountains often have 7% grades. But going down hill means using the gears as much as possible and using the brakes as little as possible. Modern automatic transmission—at least some of them—automatically downshift when going down hill, but they don't shift as much as towing requires, so you have to downshift yourself. They are engineered for not towing.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 06:31 PM   #78
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Classic
Camp Hill , Pennsylvania
Have any of you folks run the Hana Road on Maui. 400 turns in perhaps 35 miles. Twice we stopped to clear the road. CRAZY locals who came screaming at us expecting us to chicken out and pull off. All this on a cliff face way above the crashing surf. In Pennsylvania we call a road like that a trail!!!! We were grateful to see a yellow line down the middle near its end.
LyleRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:34 PM   #79
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Nevada City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleRussell View Post
Have any of you folks run the Hana Road on Maui. 400 turns in perhaps 35 miles. Twice we stopped to clear the road. CRAZY locals who came screaming at us expecting us to chicken out and pull off. All this on a cliff face way above the crashing surf. In Pennsylvania we call a road like that a trail!!!! We were grateful to see a yellow line down the middle near its end.

Yes, once was enough but have done it twice! First time 28 years ago in a sub compact. Second time got smart and traded the bigger rental car for a Jeep. More fun and no worries about having to pull off! The second time took advantage of the Jeep and went all the way around where the rental car companies tell you not to go....

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
WaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 12:31 AM   #80
Some Guy

1968 26' Overlander
2021 25' Globetrotter
Nashville , Tennessee
Tail of the Dragon - outside of Maryville TN. Not for the faint of heart in a car much less pulling a trailer!!
2019 RAM PowerWagon TV-Petrol Hemi
WBCCI # 22342
djarrett is offline   Reply With Quote