Old 04-27-2012, 06:47 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
You could always get a hauler to move the trailer... check uShip... basically you place an ad for what you want moved, and people bid. Sometimes you'll get a very low bid if you are flexible on times, as people might be coming back empty and want to at least pay for their fuel.

I've crossed over through Denver, and done the 'scenic route' described above. The only issues are some of the long grades, which you'll want to gear down and stay off the brakes. A new Toureg will have no issues with any of the climbs.

Unless you take some of the snaky routes, curves aren't a huge problem... if there are any, it will be a scenic place you want to slow down anyway.

Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:33 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Martinez , California
If you plan to motor West, take the highway that's the best -Get your kicks, on Route 66:
it winds from St. Louie, down to Missouri,
Oklahoma City looks mighty pretty
Yeh see Amarillo, Gallup New Mexico,
Flagstaff Arizona, don't forget Sedona,
Kingman, Barstow, San Bernadino

Mr.Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:08 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Interesting....this is 2012 isn't it? 60 years ago my parents gathered my brother and I and packed all the 'worldly posessions' that would fit into a 26' Pan American travel trailer and hitched that to our '48 Nash Ambassador. We left Detroit sometime in mid June, 1952 and headed west to Californa...for good. We hit Route 66 south of Chicago and followed it all the way to LA. It took 15 days with stops to make that journey arriving in LA on July 3rd and the first freeway we have ever experienced...and on a holiday traffic mess. I was 14 and remember that time. The Nash had a 6 cylinder engine. The 26' Pan American's weight dry was 5k lbs....and we had as much as we could carry in it.....and the Nash was full too. THEN after visiting relatives in LA we then drove..with the trailer.... up Highway 1 to the San Francisco Bay Area where we found a new home.

So.....don't you 2012...that there might be a real problem with your journey west. I think you CAN do it.

Neil.....yeah that's me hitching the trailer to the car.
Attached Images
Neil and Lynn Holman
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
1967 24' Tradewind
Telluride , Colorado
I say you better play it safe and stay home, maybe consider staying in bed to....just to play it safe!! Something could happen if you leave the house!

purdiferis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Originally Posted by purdiferis View Post
I say you better play it safe and stay home, maybe consider staying in bed to....just to play it safe!! Something could happen if you leave the house!

Well, that's a bit of a strong suggestion. JT1974 is asking for help and re-ASSURANCE for what may appear to be a 'scary' journey. So far many of the route suggestions are very good and very encouraging for a very nice journey. I'm certain that my folks had similar concerns back in 1952 but were excited to try. After all they, separately, and at different times (1918 and 1927) imigrated to the USA from airplane travel then.....via ocean steamer. That is the perspective that I tried to illustrate in my post about moving to Ca. in 1952. RTE 66 back then wasn't anything near the major highways of today. RTE 66 was 'assembled' by connecting state and county roads and highways to create a main route across our great land as did the wagon trains a century earlier. Also trailer travel was 'primative' to todays travel. Trailers then were for mainly camping and because of sanitary laws then were not allowed holding tanks other than maybe fresh water. To cross this country trailer parks created room for overniters so they could 'hookup' to cook bathe and such. I enjoyed the 1954 movie, 'The Long Long Trailer' as did my parents. However they commented that the situations that made for the humor and could be related to trailer life was a bit false to the glamour that trailer travel was depicted. So...JT 1974....just take the will be fine. Any misadventures will be minor and will be great for 'campfire stories'

Enjoy and keep us posted. Stay in contact with us on the forums about your travel and ask questions as you go......I bet my folks would have wish for this back then,

Neil and Lynn Holman
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #20
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Hwy 20 thru Iowa to Wyoming is a good road if you aren't in a hurry. Turn left at I-25 go south to I-40 hang a right.
Knowledge: "A gift to be shared. A treasure to receive."
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member
1974 27' Overlander
Sault ste Marie , Ontario
We did Sault ste Marie to kelowna two years ago now and the only difference between the hills in Ontario on the trans Canada and the ones in the mountains on both the Yellowhead and down through BC are length. They are no steeper, just longer. With a V8 you should have no problems. Have fun......Phil.
pgr32e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:12 PM   #22
Rivet Master
1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
You DO have a brake control box inside the VW do you not?
AIR-Quarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:42 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member
San Jose , United States
Yes, we do have a brake controller outside of the VW brakes
Okay, I am feeling more reassured now LOL
I guess I should have elaborated why I am getting nervous about this trip haha...I will be 36 weeks pregnant, travelling with 2 kids-one of whom is autistic, so anymore stress might just do me in (like huge stressful mountain roads).
At least now I can see a way around this...and try to look at the bright side, that being, it will be a great way to see the entire country
I am going to show hubby this thread so he can take many of your wonderful suggestions when planning the route!!
And yep, we will take TONS of pics
jb1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:20 PM   #24

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
You will have a great trip! I've got an 2008 Touareg V8 and it pulls great in the mountains, it also has engine brake assist for going down hill. I don't know how it works but it slows you down and the brakes are VERY good. Have fun and congrats on your pregnancy.
Get involved and sign up for a Rally!
WBCCI 4973
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:41 AM   #25
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hey JB. We travel with a 30' AS pulled by a long wheelbase Dodge diesel pickup. We have traveled throughout the south and west and into Quebec to PEI back down into Maine. I have yet to find a regularly traveled road that was too scarey. Drive carefully, drive defensively and I think you will be OK going just about anywhere. Anywhere with a little common sense that is. One caution however. Use caution when pulling into a service station for fuel. Especially if you are looking for diesel fuel. Diesel is common down here but not found everywhere. Even when it is, it is often not available on every fuel pump so you may have to look around to find the diesel pump. In doing so you need to avoid getting into some tight spots. The larger service stations and truck stops are much more accessable and are clearly marked. Some of the more rural and smaller areas are less so. Not trying to scare you but use care and scope the pump approaches before pulling in.

Drive carefully, see ya on the road sometime.
Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:01 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
You're going to be find from a mechanical point of view. Any big mountain passes will go by in a few hours and it will be fine. What concerns me more is you guys trying to do too many hours in a day. We have two small kids (neither of whom is autistic so I can't tell you if that will effects tolerance on car riding) and we try to limit driving to two hour chunks with at least 30 minutes of run around time before we get in the car again.

phbarnhart is offline   Reply With Quote