Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2011, 09:18 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
SC/GA Coast

We are thinking about a week-long trip mid-May to Charleston, SC, Savannah and Brunswick, GA - possibly try to include the Okefenokee Swamp (trying not to do too much).

Generally we prefer state and national parks, although completely open to private campgrounds.

Any recommendations for a) campgrounds, and b) restaurants? Thanks!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Crooked River SP

Might be a bit below where you are thinking, but our favorite is Crooked River State Park near St Mary, GA. Excellent quiet park, nice water edge, great town to visit and can get ferry to Cumberland Island National Seashore from St Marys.

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:56 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Savannah , Georgia
Greetings. Have used Skidaway State Park here in Savannah. The sites are large and campground has a lot of nature trails. The park is fifteen minutes from downtown. The other park I have used is on Tybee Island called River's End. Small sites, but a walk across the dune to the beach. It is forty minutes from downtown.
Fort Clinch is another great campground on Amelia Island, FL and near to Cumberland Island ferry. Also has great nature/bike trails. It is the first exit off of I-95 once you cross the GA/FL line. Jack
Skamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:09 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Bluffton , South Carolina
All good places. If you want something a bit more central to savannah, hilton head, and beaufort. There's thomasville/hardeeville RV park in levy, SC. Closer to Charleston you have a few sites in ace basin as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skamper1
Greetings. Have used Skidaway State Park here in Savannah. The sites are large and campground has a lot of nature trails. The park is fifteen minutes from downtown. The other park I have used is on Tybee Island called River's End. Small sites, but a walk across the dune to the beach. It is forty minutes from downtown.
Fort Clinch is another great campground on Amelia Island, FL and near to Cumberland Island ferry. Also has great nature/bike trails. It is the first exit off of I-95 once you cross the GA/FL line. Jack
teufel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:17 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You've made a good choice. This is one of our very most favorite areas in the country.

We love, love, love Edisto Beach State Park, just south of Charleston. There are some beachside sites, but all sites on the beachside campground are just a quick walk to the beach. Lots of good shelling and dolphins. The drive down to the park is almost worth the trip, and Edisto town has a nice grocery, gas station, liquor store and a couple of good restaurants.

The Gullah history museum in Bufort, SC, is very interesting, The Penn Center - A link to the past and a bridge to the future located on St. Helena Island, South Carolina., and explains the origins of the culture. Cumberland Island is a good day trip. All of the coastal towns are worth a drive through, lots of old homes and live oaks.

There is a very nice private campground just outside of Crooked River State Park in St. Mary's, GA, that we like, A Big Wheel RV Park Homepage, for about the same price as the park. The campground owners are wonderful, it is an older campground with mature trees, plantings and full facilities. They do Sunday night potlucks and are just really nice, hospitable and friendly folks.

We can't get enough of this area. You may find it difficult to do much more than a look-see in a week, but could do a drive down and decide where to go back to. I would bet you will go back.

Have a great time,

Maggie
Old 02-01-2011, 04:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Thank you all - some great recommendations!!

I saw a clip on PBS Georgia Travler, about Chef Joe Randall's restaurant in or near Savannah. Has anyone tried it? Looked awesome!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

Old 02-01-2011, 05:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
There is a pretty nice forest service park on hwy 17 just north of Charleston on the Intracostal Waterway at Bulls Bay. The name of it is Buck Hall
Buck Hall Recreation Area
It is the beginning point for the Palmetto Trail.
It's about halfway between McClellanville and Awendaw. Kinda out there but there is a really nice store Sewee Outpost maybe 15 miles down the road for supplies.
Sewee Outpost | Your Low "Country" Store
Old 02-01-2011, 05:44 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Bluffton , South Carolina
Pretty good southern food. Then again there's lots of it around these parts. What price point for a meal for two? There are many good places in the area. My two favorites are chef Nick out at the laughing boar in guyton and Michael anthonies on Hilton head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesrob
Thank you all - some great recommendations!!

I saw a clip on PBS Georgia Travler, about Chef Joe Randall's restaurant in or near Savannah. Has anyone tried it? Looked awesome!
teufel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from Ga. . .We like Okeefenokee in March, BEFORE them big skeeters show up. Kayaking the swamp is very cool. Fernandina Beach is a neat old town with fun shops and restaurants galore. The boat tour of Cumberland Sound is fun. Also try Southern Soul Barbeque on St Simons. And have fun ,Regards, Craig
Old 02-01-2011, 06:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Okeefenokee is a great place. I have been going down to the swamp at the end of March or Middle of April for years. This year I can't because of work, but I think everybody needs to check out the swamp. Several years ago they did not have the lights in the campgrounds. It was so dark outside and the air was so clean you could see every star in the sky. The camp lights have kind of cut down on that show.

Brian
Old 02-01-2011, 06:27 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Ladson , South Carolina
camp in SC

Edisto state park is great and if you are heading toward Myrtle Beach we love Huntington Beach state park - right on the coast. Make
sure to reserve as both parks are very popular.
SC Coastal Unit
TAC-SC5
Safari Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:00 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
Jekyll Island is a nice place to visit. The campground is mediocre but the sights are nice. We biked everywhere and didn't even unhook the truck. There are beaches but we did not spend time on them. Not our thing. We took a historic home tour and biked every road and trail we could locate. We wanted to do a kayak tour but we ran out of time.
We love trips that involve architecture, bikes and prefer mountains over beeches. So you may want to factor that in when considering my recommendation of Jekyll Island.

Skidaway Island is nice. We biked to Wormesloe.
Crooked River is nice. We biked around the Submarine base.

James Island campground in Charleston is nice. You have to drive to the Folly Beach. They have an awesome dog park! A water park too.

Jekyll Island --- Campground
Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:15 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Savannah , Georgia
In Savannah: Chef Joe Randall has a website chefjoerandall.com. There is a calendar of events and you can make reservations. I have not eaten there or heard of anyone's experience there. Do NOT eat at Uncle Bubba's. Lady and Sons is OK, but at $22 for the buffet one could do better at Golden Coral. Mrs. Wilkes' Dining Room/Boarding House is a far better experience and a lot of fun. The President bypassed Paula's for there. Heard Paula was not happy about it.
Skamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:59 AM   #14
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
There are several good places to eat at Tybee Island near Savannah. The Crab Shack, AJ's and the Breakfast Club for starters. I have eaten at Uncle Bubba's and thought it was good. I have not eaten at Paula's. Just didn't want to wait.

I don't care for the campground on Tybee. Although it is close to the beach and Tybee is a laid back community. Haven't tried Skid-a-way yet, but maybe soon.

Happy travels!
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:02 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Jonesboro , Georgia
James Island County Park Campground

We have stayed at the James Island County Park Campground several times. It has full hookups, bike rentals for bike trails, a rock climbing wall, a wonderful dog park, clean bathrooms, laundry facilities, a general store, and a shuttle bus to downtown and Folly Beach. Groceries and fast food restaraunts can be found on James Island. Downtown Charleston is about 15 minutes away. The dog park is a very entertaining place, even if you don't have a dog of your own.
Kristi Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:05 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
The Laura Walker st park near the Okeefanokee swamp is a wonderful campground. Nice sites under large pines, lake, first class golf course nearby. Fairly close to a swamp entrance.

Jekyl Island was a fun place to visit, especially if you play golf. But I liked the Laura Walker campground better than I liked the Jekyl Island campground.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:15 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have done the lunch buffet at Paula Deen's a couple of times, and it was excellent. About $13, I think, and included fried chicken, a couple of other entrees and a number of side dishes, also dessert. Basically your dinner meal at lunch, which we like to do for a number of reasons.

Maggie
Old 02-02-2011, 06:00 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Geez Louise, I thought I was doing pretty well by limiting our travel scope. Looks like we need more time to really enjoy this area! This is a great problem! Thanks again for some great suggestions.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:54 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Colleyville , Texas
Wait. Wait. There is required reading before you visit Savannah. "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil". You will want to visit all the sights in the book. I agree with the previous post about Paula Dean's. Skip it and have lunch at Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House. There will be an hour wait in line to get in but it is worth the wait. No one seems to mind. It is an experience.The trolley ride around town is very informative and you can note spots to visit along the way.Have a great trip. Those cities you will want to return to.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:10 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Great idea. I've read "Midnight in the Garden..." - one of my favorite books actually, but it has been a while - definitely worth a re-read before the trip.

Tags
camping, travel