Old 01-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #15
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Originally Posted by Steelegood View Post
We are interested in this area for the late springtime/early summer. Being we've never been there, is there beach access nearby, or do you have to drive to it? Would this be a good time to go? I've heard some say mosquitoes (& other insects) could be bad that time of year? Yes our daughter says a trip to Paula Deans is a requirement! What time of day would be best to go eat?

Thanks in advance,
We have only been to Paula Deen's off-season, February both times, and had no problem getting in.

They don't take reservations but for same-day, and you have to be there at 10:30am, I think, to get a time for that day. You may encounter a line in warm weather. Might want to call them to be sure.

There may be no-see-ums in late spring, early summer, and these little guys are viciously bad. Be prepared.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:48 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Frederickburg , Texas
I know Paula Dean's is good but you will not want to miss Mrs. Wilke's Boarding house. Here's the link. Mrs. Wilkes' Dining Room
It's not famous like Paula Dean but well worth the wait in line. Be sure to arrive early.

Moosetag, have you eaten there yet???? Don't miss it and let me know what you think!

kds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:11 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member
2013 30' Flying Cloud
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Originally Posted by BSalinger View Post
We are Planning to be in Savannah on 1-15 and would appreciate campground recommendations for a stay of several days to a week.
We just got back from our Charleston/Savannah winter trip, our first trip camping in Savannah. We stayed at Hunter AAF and for those who are eligible I wouldn't recommend it except for an overnight on the way somewhere else. The sites have been reconditioned but they are unpaved, some with better gravel than others. The road is unpaved and the whole area quickly became a mud pit after a rain shower.

On the other hand we visited Skidaway to plan for our next trip. That's where we're going next time. Info is available at:

Georgia State Parks - Skidaway Island State Park

On our next trip we will avoid the mud pit.
Speed is Life . . . guidance is optional . . .
The Traveling Circus: 2013 Flying Cloud 30A; 2006 Chevy Duramax Crew/LWB
Air #42313 TAC VA-7 WBCCI #1290
gsmithii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:43 AM   #18
Rivet Master
2005 31' Classic
Cleveland , Tennessee
Thanks Doug&Maggie, and everyone else, all the input helps planning a vacation with the family much easier.

I know you think you understand what you though I said, but I'm not sure that what you heard is what I actually meant!

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there." Lewis Carroll

AIR #38011
Steelegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
2011 27 FB International
Bristol , Rhode Island
Thank you to everyone for the input. It is much appreciated.
BSalinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member
2010 28' International
Richmond Hill , Georgia
Originally Posted by BSalinger
Thank you to everyone for the input. It is much appreciated.
A little late perhaps but as a resident of Richmond Hill (just south of Savannah) I would like to plug the GA State Park Ft. McAllister. Very scenic view of the marshes, good civil war museum and nice facilities though unpaved. You just have to be selective when you visit or the No-see-ums or deer flies can make it miserable. Anytime during the winter months is perfect.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:40 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member
2011 27 FB International
Bristol , Rhode Island
Thanks, JM
BSalinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member
2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
We camped at Rivers end Tybe Island. Sites are close together, but we found campers friendly and honor privacy. We were there for Thanksgiving and had a wonderful meal and time at Uncle Bubba's restaurant. He is Paula Deen's brother, and his place is spacious and offers local seafood and steaks, and a low country boil that hit's the spot....

Reganzo is offline   Reply With Quote