Old 08-12-2006, 05:21 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Paso Robles , California
San Simeon State Park, Ca.

San Simeon State Park is just a few minutes North of Cambria, and five - ten minutes south of Hearst Castle. Fine dining is readily found in Cambria...particularly the Sea Chest on Moonstone Beach Drive.

San Simeon SP is comprised of two campsites...San Simeon Creek, and Washburn Primitive Campground.

Having had the luxury of previewing the campgrounds a few weeks before our trip, we chose the Washburn site. The SS Creek site has showers, and is close to the front of the park...and HWY 1. They charge more to stay there. It has a busy "feel" to it...layed-out like a large parking lot with plenty of greenery separating most of the sites. On the otherhand, Washburn is 2 miles up the hillside and offers some nice ocean views from a handfull of sites, and some nice views of a pretty valley which is obviously a cattle ranch. No showers, but clean pit toilets and water from (unthreaded) spigots. Seemed like a less "rowdy" brand of campers up on Washburn, too.

I would think that springtime would be spectacular up there...green grasses and wildflowers as you look up the valley...very nice indeed!

We chose Washburn since we wanted the views and a less "commercial" feel. Our site had a view of the ocean, but with the haze and fog, we couldn't capture it in the photos. The cost was 15.00/night. We stayed from Thur - Sat and liked the absence of crowds. Our site required more than 5 inches of blocks to level the coach. The pics distort the orientation of the rig such that it appears to be listing...but it is, in fact, level.

SIGHTINGS: on friday, a brand new 28' Safari w/slide pulled in. Handsome rig. My wife chatted briefly with the gentleman owner who came by to visit with us...(our 4.5 year/old daughter was having a meltdown, so my bride was distracted with family matters...) On our way out, a newer Bambi was checking in at the kiosk when we were pulling through.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Washburn1.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	249.7 KB
ID:	24602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Washburn2.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	24603  

Name:	WashburnViewNW.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	279.1 KB
ID:	24604  

kolarshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 05:39 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Paso Robles , California
Around San Simeon State Park...

Around this campground are wonderful beach access sites.

Some of our favorites are just a few minutes south (toward Cambria)...just across from the Sea Chest restaurant, and further south from there is an area which - depending on the tide - forms a lagoon. Very "kid friendly" location.

North of camp 5 or 10 minutes on HWY 1 is Hearst Castle, and a State Beach right across from the castle entrance. Hearst Castle features several tours (which sell out...advanced ticketing is advised) and an IMAX theater. Now, the beach across from Hearst Castle... this is our new favorite beach for bringing our daughter to...there's a nice, well maintained pier, and a lovely, clean beach area just north of that. Lots of day-use BBQs and tables...grass, too. One pic is of our Daughter on the beach with the pier in the background. I can't recommend this spot highly enough! They also rent surfboards and kayaks as well. Not a great spot for surfing, but this protected cove would certaily be a great place for kayaking among the playful seals as well as the pelicans diving all around you looking for Nemo to nibble on.

Great time here!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DLN San Simeon pier.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	24605   Click image for larger version

Name:	DLN San Simeon Pier Beach.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	24606  

kolarshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 06:52 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Cardiff , California
Oh my goodness! Your pictures are wonderful! My fiance (now husband) and I stayed at the Washburn site many years ago on a tent camping trip! Just two days ago we were discussing the campground and an Airstreaming trip (with two kids and one dog this time)heading north for next summer. Thanks so much for reminding me how lovely it is! I guess I'd better start making some SERIOUS plans now!