Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2018, 08:27 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
San Francisco to Yosemite to Lake Tahoe

Working on a section of my trip for next year, could use some help from those in the know.

In order to make this work, looks like I’d need to tow over highway 120 through Yosemite, all the way over to Mono Lake, then up 395.

Highway 120 concerns me, looks like restrictions. We’ve been all over the US on sketchy mountain passes so if it’s doable, we can do it. Just doing my diligence.

Many thanks, see you down the Road.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Should be okay. The road is full of tourists in the summer. Usually it's closed in the winter as they don't plow snow off. If you're thinking of traveling in the spring make sure the road is opened over Tioga Pass.

The hardest part will be the drive from Tioga Pass (9,943 elevation) to Lee Vining. About 8 miles downhill at up to 8% grade and twisty. Just keep it under 25 mph or whatever slow speed you feel is safe. Downshift to 1st or 2nd gear.

Coming out of Death Valley it's 6 miles of 10% grade and we've done that several times. Just go slow and let the engine rev.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 12:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI Wikipedia has basic write-ups of most highways:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Califo...tate_Route_120

Near the bottom it says:

"Priest grades
West of Priest is a section of highway with over one hundred curves and hairpin turns, known as the "New Priest Grade." With a 4% grade, it opened in 1915 and was built by a group of local volunteers who desired an alternative to the very steep (17%) Old Priest Grade.[15] Today, both grades are paved, but trailers and RVs are prohibited from Old Priest Grade.[16] There is a 7,500-pound weight limit on the old grade."

Not sure how current this info is.

Ted, where are you thinking of getting on 120?

Misc. FYI:
https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvis...CP_JUMP_177312
https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/basicinfo.htm
120 road closure from 2017 still valid? -- https://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/news/roaddamage.htm

You might want to contact CalTrans about RV restrictions on 120 IMO:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/contactus.html

Have a great trip!

Peter

PS -- Earlier posts here on CA 120:
https://www.google.com/search?ei=t_T...iz.mvXC9N9i3js
2017 Tioga Pass thread:http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ss-168798.html
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 02:56 PM   #4
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
The Yosemite destination is not an easy one to implement. We have stayed outside and rolled into the valley as well as over the pass on 120. Just never done it with the trailer. Everyone who has done it says no problem. From our perspective it looks doable. Some day, we'll return across 120 from 395. However, we would not do that route unless it was convenient. For the trip you suggest, it is not.

Stay on the West side of Yosemite. Spend three days in a commercial park. Get your reservations now. Get a shuttle ride or drive into the valley on day one. Eat at the Lodge. Lunch is great, if a bit expensive. On day two, drive the 120. Don't skip a stop at the Meadows. Have lunch at the Deli that is to the right as you reach 395. Easy to pass it by, because it's at the gas station. If you are up for the diner food, there is a place in the middle of Lee Vining.

The area around Lee Vining does not look attractive, but the area on 395 above and below that location looks great and is often the focus of great reports.

The trip over and back on 120 gives you a good view of that part of the park. Different from the valley. But you have to visit the valley to see Yosemite.

Traffic is terrible. Develop a plan to deal with it. An early start may be best approach. That means really early.

Head North and stay a night at Jackson Rancheria (big and grassy) or the Far Horizons 49er Village RV Resort in Plymouth (a family place). Then head up to Placerville and pickup HW50 to Tahoe. Caution - Placerville has a traffic jam at present. It should be resolved in time for your trip, but check. You may want to transit early in the morning.

There is a big park in Tahoe. The City of Lake Tahoe RV Park. We have not stayed there, but checked it out on the way through. Suspect you want reservations, but it looks quite like a perfect place to stay.

Good Luck with your Plan. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 08:55 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Nevada City , California
It’s doable. Tioga pass is long and steep. I’ve seen bigger rigs than yours at the Tuolumne meadows campground. Ditto on staying just outside the park to see the valley but a couple nights in Tuolumne meadows is an overlooked treat.
WaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:01 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
PKI hits the nail I think. Stay on the west side of the mountains to visit Yosemite. I have done Hwy 120 over Tioga Pass many times but not towing. There is a sign on 120 on the east side that says trailers not recommended. There is a reason. There are few guard rails and you will be on the canyon side. It is a sheer drop off. I went over Tioga one year in a blinding hail storm on my motorcycle "Not Fun". There is virtually no place to pull over.
I know I have painted worst case scenario. I am sure many people have made it with no problem. I am leaving for Death Valley in a couple of weeks. I go every Nov. I have towed that same 10% ten mile grade every year without trouble. Keep it slow.
One last note. The deli is inside the Mobil station on Hwy 120 near 395. It is the Whoa Nellie Deli. I have never had anything there I didn't like. You won't be disappointed if you stop.
Safe Travels.
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 11:43 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Hollywood , California
Suggest you stay in Murphys, leave trailer there, go into Yosemite, return for wine tasting, the drive over Ebbetts Pass and return via I80 to SF.
Cleareye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 03:07 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Saratoga , California
We go to Yosemite several times with our trailer. The main thing to remember on HWY120 is to avoid the Old Priest Grade. As mentioned by others it is a very steep and trailer is prohibited. Unfortunately most GPS navigation (including mine) will direct you to take the Old Priest Grade. Note take once you make the turn into Old Priest Grade there is no turning back.

The "New Priest Grade" is very doable. Just drive slow. In your case, it looks like you may only need to go up the grade (going east) if you continue your way to HWY395.

Not sure if you have a place in mind to stay for Yosemite. When we are there we always stay at the Yosemite Lakes Campground. It is a Thousand Trails campground and they do accept non-member. Is a full hook-up campground and is only 5 miles west of Yosemite's western gate.
Journey'81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:12 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1975 21' Globetrotter
Lincoln , California
Just a quick note: 120 takes you through Y. National Park but you need to take 140 to get into the Y. Valley. Busy place, to haul you trailer into. See if you can camp outside and commute into the valley. Are you heading to 80/Reno or 50/Carson City? AAA rated 50 across Nevada as the most Boring Hwy in the US. 80 not much better. If you stay west of the Sierra Nevadas it's a lot prettier.
sac1gaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:50 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Have been over Tioga Pass from Lee Vining many times, both ways, with and without a trailer. Never have any worries going up; pulling a 23’ Flying Cloud, the F-250 diesel doesn’t even work up a sweat. Going down is a different matter. The exhaust brake will control the speed pretty well as long as you never let it get out of control, but I think it’s hard on the engine to use engine braking that much. One time when I hadn’t had the truck that long, I was coming down a long grade out of the Rockies, and got an engine warning light that the exhaust cleaning system was getting overloaded. I got all excited about it and called Ford, who wasn’t much help, but after running it on the flats for a while it seemed to clean things out. The grade from Tioga Pass to Lee Vining is steeper that the grades in the Rockies, but not as long, so I don’t think I’ve had that light come on there.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:01 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
We towed into Yosemite last spring. Because we have been their many, many times we settled on going in on highway 140 though Mariposa. Much less twisty. Also, a chevron station is just outside Mariposa with easy access and reasonable prices. I was concerned about passing though the arch that is just past the entrance. No problem at all and wished I had taken the time for a photo. I wouldn't lose any sleep over doing Tioga pass. Set the exhaust brake and take your time.
I don't know what your plans are but you would really be missing out if you don't go to Kings Canyon/Sequoia NP. PM me if you want any info.
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2018, 07:04 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Thanks for all the replies!
Old 11-12-2018, 05:56 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post
Have been over Tioga Pass from Lee Vining many times, both ways, with and without a trailer. Never have any worries going up; pulling a 23’ Flying Cloud, the F-250 diesel doesn’t even work up a sweat. Going down is a different matter.
So I am now looking at modifying me trip a little and coming in to Yosemite from the East.

So my question is, how is the section of road from Lee Vining to Tuolumne Meadows Campground? We would leave the trailer there if I can get a reservation and head in from there with no trailer. Looks like about 1900 feet of elevation in 20 miles.

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:58 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Steep. Twisty. Long. Like many other Sierra highways. Much bigger than east coast mountain grades. If your tow vehicle is in decent shape then don't worry about it.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:44 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Nevada City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sac1gaa View Post
Just a quick note: 120 takes you through Y. National Park but you need to take 140 to get into the Y. Valley. Busy place, to haul you trailer into. See if you can camp outside and commute into the valley. Are you heading to 80/Reno or 50/Carson City? AAA rated 50 across Nevada as the most Boring Hwy in the US. 80 not much better. If you stay west of the Sierra Nevadas it's a lot prettier.

I completely disagree that 50 across Nevada is the most boring road. It is the “ Lonliest road in America “ though. It’s beautiful in my opinion. Broad basins and pinion covered mountain ranges, hot springs if you know where to stop, lots of history out there. Great Basin national park outside Ely. Boring to city dwelling flatlanders I guess.
WaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:21 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaLee View Post
I completely disagree that 50 across Nevada is the most boring road. It is the “ Lonliest road in America “ though. It’s beautiful in my opinion. Broad basins and pinion covered mountain ranges, hot springs if you know where to stop, lots of history out there. Great Basin national park outside Ely. Boring to city dwelling flatlanders I guess.
We will be traveling from Mono Lake to Salt Lake.

I read Route 6 across Nevada is much more lonely than 50. Still undecided on the route, either up 95 to get on 80 and have a piece of mind or run through Nevada for the last little bit of adventure.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:40 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
So I am now looking at modifying me trip a little and coming in to Yosemite from the East.

So my question is, how is the section of road from Lee Vining to Tuolumne Meadows Campground? We would leave the trailer there if I can get a reservation and head in from there with no trailer. Looks like about 1900 feet of elevation in 20 miles.

Thanks for your help.

Consider camping at one of the 4 campgrounds closer to Lee Vining. The first is Lower Lee Vining Campground. They are all fairly close together on Hwy 120 5-10 miles west of Lee Vining. I posted a write up here a few months ago. Although it is uphill from Lee Vining to the campgrounds, the steep part of the grade starts west of the campgrounds.

If you do go all the way to Tuolumne Meadows Campground, you will have gained virtually all the elevation there is to gain on roads in Yosemite Park. The rest of the park (except for going back to Tioga Pass) is more or less downhill from there.

Lee Vining campground is really a more pleasant camping experience than Tuolumne Meadows Campground. Less crowded and at a lower elevation, you will sleep better. Certainly better if you have dogs. The only better spot would be the Tioga Lake Campground, right outside the park, but there are rarely spaces available in the few spots there are for trailers.

OTOH, camping at Tuolumne Meadows Campground, you avoid the hassle of passing through the Tioga Pass Gate in the morning, which can get backed up in the summer months.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote