Old 08-06-2007, 08:29 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1994 34' Excella
Arabela , New Mexico
San Diego to Las Cruces, NM

Any AS recommendations on a good safe stop between the two..I have a 34 footer so is pretty long along with my f-250 is about 57 feet long ..would prefer full hook up but would take partial...dont mind a one night fee..thanks..Ernesto ooh by the way leaving on the 7th of Aug....nothing like long term preplanining...

ernesto ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:25 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member
2003 22' International CCD
Whittier, California , Depoe Bay, Oregon
Ernesto----Are you taking I 8 east and hooking up with I 10 in western Az.? Are you thinking Eastern Az for your overnight? I'm sure some of the Az folks will chime in soon. Have a great trip.

2003 22ft CCD Int'l
2005 GMC Yukon Denali
WBCCI #2960
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master
2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Hi, There is a stop-over type park--The A Bar A-- at exit 240 (Tangerine Road) in the I-10

They have full hook-ups; they are near the I-10.

When we go to Chula Vista we find that is a long enough day for us If you wish to drive farther in Benson off the I-10 is Butterfield RV Park. It is a "snowbird" park but will probably be deserted at this time of year. The big draw for us is the Italian restaurant there.

These are both near the I-10. Don't know what you like? There are "fancies" around Tucson--Beaudry, etc.
Kistler & Brenda

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:11 PM   #4
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
I understand that I-10 from North Tucson to I-19 is undergoing a major rebuild over the next few years. I would avoid that area during rush hour at all costs. I do not think there are any easy ways around it.

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:13 PM   #5
Miss Rivette
1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
I have some family in Las Cruces, and we just brought back my camper from there, feel free to ask any questions.
Laura Miss Rivette 2008
W8JUZ --......--
"Support Search and Rescue, GET LOST!!!!"
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:33 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Ernesto...trying to think of easy-off-easy on places you might stop on your way's a long haul to San Diego to Tucson, but do-able...You'll probably be taking I-8 east to I-10 near Casa Grande...then East on I-10 for the rest of the trip to Las Cruses.

If you want to stop before you get to Tucson, then get a fresh start the next day, Picacho Peak State Park at Picacho Peak (I think it's exit 219, but it will be marked..about 50 miles north of Tucson on I-10)...very nice state park on the west side of I-10...good stop-over...partial hookups, water and a dump station...I think the off-season rate is $15 per night. There are pull throughs in the park as well as back-ins...and I doubt that it's busy this time of year...the last time we were there it was during the off-season and most the RVs there were overnighting it... There's also a nice private park at the same exit on the frontage road on the west side of I-10 toward Tucson.

If you need attention to your AS while near Tucson, Oasis RV on Benson Highway in Tucson is an Airstream dealer and servie center, and Beaudry RV is a large RV service center on Irvington Road in Tucson...they also have a large park with full hookups that can accommodate big rigs. They have a restaurant, as well.

Richard is correct that there is major high construction going on in Tucson at I-10...If you want to do anything in the downtown area you need to get off the freeway and onto the frontage roads early (22nd St on the south and Prince on the north...through traffic cannot exit the freeway in the vicinity of downtown. The frontage roads have been widened to take the traffic, however, so they move prtty quickly...once you are though that mess, the roads should be clear. It'll be 3 years before it's done...if we're lucky.

Further down the road after Tucson are Benson and Wilcox where there are private RV parks you can easiy overnight at...but that's going to make for a long day from San Diego!

Wish we had a nice big place we could offer you to park, but we don't. :-( Good luck with your trip...

And Happy Trails...

TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote