Old 08-13-2016, 11:45 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
San Anselmo , California
San Diego RV Solutions & Pro Pride

We arrived in San Diego to visit family and bring our Airstream to the local Airstream/RV dealer for front rock-guard repair post Golden Eagle strike (read our blog link: "Killing an American Icon" www.anamericanstream.com).

After dealership assessment and an estimate was written, they proceeded to begin unhitching the trailer and noticed that we had a Pro Pride hitch. We were told that they had difficulty hitching a forklift tug to this system and requested that "WE" disconnect our hitch on the spot so that they could connect to the ball. It was at this point I vaguely remembered reading on the Forum that someone else had encountered this problem fairly recently.

I offered to disconnect our stinger from the truck, hook it up into their fork lift and teach the driver how to connect and pull. They declined and lost our business.

We wondered how many people will be affected by these encounters in the future, and what complications would arise if the repairs had to be made on the spot, and another dealer could not be found easily?

Old 08-13-2016, 12:32 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I have heard of this happening before. I had personal experience with this issue several years ago. I had brought my 2005 Safari 25FB to a very short-lived Airstream dealer in Panama City, Florida. When I dropped my Airstream off to have the bearings repacked and several other minor items done, I pointed out the Hensley Hitch.

When I returned to pick up the Airstream, these morons had removed the Hensley so that they could move the trailer. My Hensley was in a box next to the Airstream. I had to reinstall the Hensley myself in their parking. They had also screwed up the brake adjustment when they repacked the bearings.

Needless to say, I was pretty ticked off. All they could do was shrug their shoulders. They went out of business shortly thereafter. That was a real surprise!

My assessment of your dealer situation is that if they cannot handle a ProPride hitch, go elsewhere as they are most likely incompetent and should not be trusted with your Airstream.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:46 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
San Anselmo , California
A great big 10-4 to what you are saying Mr. Brian Moose! Advice well taken.
Old 08-13-2016, 01:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It's not the hitch, that's easy to deal with. Many dealerships have a jerk who will try to find reasons why he can't help you, rather than how he can.

We ran into one here at our local Airstream dealership over some other service questions we had five years ago and we haven't been back since. Sometimes the jerk is a manager.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:46 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Full-time traveling , Hmmmm. what day of the week is it?
We didn't like the vibes we got at RV Solutions in San Diego, so we went to http://www.ricksrvcenters.com in El Cajon and had wonderful service on our 2001 AS. New brakes and sewer valves.
JBBeaubeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 02:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
In all fairness, this is simply a numbers game. If an AS dealer sees a bunch of units coming in for service with ProPride or Hensley hitches you can bet that he will find a way to accommodate them.

I have to wonder why Hensley or ProPride haven't made a device that can be quickly put on a forklift to accommodate these hitches. I suspect that the raw materials would cost less than a hundred bucks and could be marketed through the AS dealer network. I have a PP on my AS and it looks like a piece of 2" X 2" bar stock bolted to the bucket of my tractor would do the trick.

Quite frankly, if I was a dealer, I wouldn't bother either if all I saw was a couple of these a year. On the other hand, if I got the fixture when I became a dealer for either one of these hitches, word of mouth (on Airforums) would work for me.

I used to get big bucks for solving simple marketing problems in my previous life!!!
Old 08-14-2016, 03:32 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
The dealer in Denver finally let me park it outside a bay door where it stayed for the repairs and I picked it up from the same location. I now have the equipment to machine a stinger with a ball socket extension. Since I need to take it in for a long list of warrant issues I will get it made soon. Probably out of aluminum since it is only for moving. I'll post back after I get it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

2015 Chevrolet 2500HD 4WD Duramax/Allison LTZ Crew Cab Short Bed, Huper Optik, Bull Dog Spray In, Roll-N-Lock, Full Amsoil, Denali SoundBomb, Yakima
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:03 PM   #8

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
The Service Center in Jackson Center has a device to handle a Hensley or Proprietary with ease using their Green Tug. I'll bet they have less than $10 in it. I would think a dealer could handle that.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
I certainly will not disconnect my Hensley for any dealer. That's a lot of work and a respectable dealer should be able to handle a Pro-pride or Hensley. My local appliance repair shop (fridge, furnace, water heater just lets me drop it where he can work on it).
My choice but it's mine to make
JCW
Old 08-14-2016, 08:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
San Diego RV Solutions & Pro Pride

Yup. Last time, the RV place simply used my truck to put the AS in their bay. Then disconnected. When I came back, I hooked up, and they pulled AS clear into parking lot.

Reality is that if they don't accommodate me, I do not need to spend money with them, period.

Tough rocks if they don't like it.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote