Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
1984 31' Excella
Springfield , Missouri
San Antonio / Corpus Christi Campgrounds

Any recommendations for first two weeks of June?
Jim Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
San Antonio, Blazing Star RV Resort, great place.

Title: Texas Camping | San Antonio | Blazing Star Luxury Rv Resort | River Walk | Alamo
Old 05-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1999 23' Safari
Austin , Texas
If you want to be downtown try the KOA. It's 10 minutes from downtown, fenced, clean and shaded.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
For Corpus Christi see threads on Padre Island Seashore (the North Island, not the South). If you need to be in the city, then COLONIA DEL REY. Always welcome to PM me, too.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
The koa is a very nice place andi wouldn't hesitate staying there. It is on the east side off IH-10 , fensed and patrolled at night. I am not aware of any crime problems at this parked. It is located a few minutes from downtown.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Spring Hill , Florida
We were just there. In Corpus Christi we stayed at Colonia Del Rey - 1/2 price for Passport America members. For San Antonio, we stayed in Kerrville at Take-It-Easy which had an indoor pool and hot tub. Lots to see in both areas.
mapley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
I live here in Corpus Christi and can share info on campgrounds that most don't know about. There are two RV Parks on the Naval Air Station here in Corpus Christi and they are accessible to the public by contacting the base and applying for a Moral / Welfare / Recreation or MWR pass. I use my MWR pass to windsurf at the Naval Air Station, but it would also allow me to use their campgrounds.

To get a MWR pass, you can do it two ways, you can go to the Security Building just in side the Flour Bluff Gate, fill out the application forms, provide proof of insurance, etc. then they will take your paperwork, do a background check on you, then call you in to pick up your pass about 7 days later. The cost is $20 for the pass for a year of access. The second way is to go online and fill out the forms, then arrange to pick up the Pass when you arrive. For more information about how to do this over the internet you would need to call the MWR office on base.

With the Pass, you get full hookups for about $17 or $18 a day. One of the campgrounds is right on the south end of Corpus Christi Bay, and the other campground is next to the NAS Marina. I think the first campground has about 35 spaces and the second about 20 spaces. There are always spaces available that time of year. There are restrooms with showers at each campground and I think there is also a Rec Room at one of the campgrounds. It is very secure, and they keep the things in good condition.

As for camping on the beach at either the National Seashore or any of the other Gulf shore locations, it can be steamy hot and humid that time of the year. Most of the beach camping is done between late October and early May.

As for camping near San Antonio, we always camp at Canyon Lake then drive into San Antonio to do our touristy things. Camping at Canyon Lake is fantastic and most CG's are operated by the Corps of Engineers. The one we like best is Potters Creek CG. It is one of the best kept secrets in Texas. They must have about 150 spaces varying from lake shore to heavily shaded by giant oak trees. That time of year, we prefer the heavily shaded sites. The place is just fantastic. It is nicely kept up, huge campsites well spaced out and lots of options. Cost, about $20 per night, and half with Golden Age pass. Reservations are a must around Memorial Day and the 4th of July. They won't advertise it, but they keep a few sites as unreservable for those "drive-ups" without reservations but the number is very limited.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
lubbock , Texas
Check blazing star cancellation policy ... It s difficult to find (or was when I had my little experience) but find it you must.
jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
I just found a number which can help get you the MWR office at NAS Corpus Christi. Call: (361) 961-1293. Either they will help you or they will direct you to the right contacts.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:27 AM   #10
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Bob, last time I was at NAS I noted there was no shade. It's been a few years, so correct my memory. This time of year -- and until mid-fall -- CC is a pretty hot place.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:30 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Shade is definitely in short supply at the NAS Corpus Christi, but I recall seeing a few trees. I remember thinking the trees might provide some shade in the morning or in the afternoon, but not both. Shade will also be in short supply at Mustang Island State Park, and at the Padre Island National Seashore. And....there's no shade trees along the Gulf shore.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #12
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Shade can be found in some of the in-town parks. We used CDR for that reason when visiting here durng the hot season.

I'm not knocking NAS or the parks out on the Island.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Lake Braunig RV park south of town is HUGE, but not a beautiful woodsy environment. Were you going to join us in San Marcos for the first weekend in June at the rally event still?
Old 05-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
1984 31' Excella
Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
... Were you going to join us in San Marcos for the first weekend in June at the rally event still?
I don't know. We are planning on leaving Springfield on May 30 and head south through OK and meander down to San Antonio.

I haven't even looked at a map.

One concern I have of traveling like this is not knowing when we'll stop for the night.

At this time of the year I would think most campgrounds would have openings, and wouldn't need reservations.

I don't want to make a reservation and end up not being there , on the other hand I don't want to have to park in Walmart because the campgrounds were full.

One thing I know is NO beach camping, we never did get all the sand out of the motorhome when theywent to Florida.
Jim Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
You may be surprised at availablility...people here camp seriously and book months in advance. I would start calling ahead now since our park was almost sold out a month ago.