Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2016, 08:46 AM   #21
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Safety of campsite

Not wanting to worry about this is one of the biggest reasons we don't have a generator yet. The more stuff I have, the more it owns me, vs the other way around. <sigh>

If we had one, I guess we would lock it away anytime we're not in the campsite and awake enough to notice if someone decides to permanently borrow it. We'd also likely choose a propane-fired model so we wouldn't have to mess with jerry cans, etc.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:10 AM   #22
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Leaving the generator out fastened by whatever one can find is not too smart. The thief arrives with a cut off wheel and powers up the generator to run the electric cutting tool......
If he's coming that prepared, he will probably bring a crowbar and bust your trailer door and ransack it....I suppose staying home and never leaving is the best solution.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:42 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Or maybe he'll also use the grinder to cut a hole through the side of the Airstream to get in.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:45 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Original poster, before we get to silly or contentious.

It looks like the consensus is that leaving your generator out and unsecured while away from the campsite is a risk most would not take. Enjoy.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:09 PM   #25
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
If he's coming that prepared, he will probably bring a crowbar and bust your trailer door and ransack it....I suppose staying home and never leaving is the best solution.
Make light of it if you wish. I was just trying to remind people that a flimsy chain isn't very secure.
I carry 1000 lbs of work tools in my pickup at all times.
Including a battery operated grinder with cut off wheel.
It would take me about 45 seconds to cut through the toughest lock, chain or cable.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:20 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
This reminds me of the AS owner who left a cooler full of beer outside. Most of the beer was gone when he got back. The next day he left and when he returned the cooler was full of beer again with a thank you note.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 02:03 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
http://www.liveworkdream.com/2008/06...nerator-quiet/

but I dig these a lot..

http://lowprolockdown.com/shop/compl...00is-redblack/
Old 05-18-2016, 02:23 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
. . .
I know that some would find this system untenable, but it has always worked for us.

Brian
Thanks Brian. Where do you carry your gas jerry cans please?

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:49 PM   #29

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks Brian. Where do you carry your gas jerry cans please?

Peter
Hi Peter. I carry two 2.5 gallon plastic gas cans which I carry empty in the front storage locker in the Airstream. When I need gas for the generators, I will stop an fill the can to about two gallons each. I fill the two generators from one. While the generators are running overnight, I leave the other gas can near the generators. I use this to top off the generators as needed.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 05:22 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks Brian, not wild about any gas tanks even "empty" stored in an enclosed space (incl. the gens in the TVs). Gas fumes are what explodes, not the liquid.

Doesn't take much . . .

Confirms going to propane gens as cost-effective IMO.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 05:45 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultradog View Post
Make light of it if you wish. I was just trying to remind people that a flimsy chain isn't very secure.
I carry 1000 lbs of work tools in my pickup at all times.
Including a battery operated grinder with cut off wheel.
It would take me about 45 seconds to cut through the toughest lock, chain or cable.
I don't think folks are making light of your comment - which is certainly valid - it is just that it still would seem to make sense to do what you reasonably can to improve the odds! Not every potential thief is as well equipped as you are - and hopefully they are the ones we will encounter!

(PS - I travel with a lot of those good tools too!)

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:20 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitegs View Post
We will be at Big Meadows in a few weeks. Does everyone think it would be safe to leave our Honda generator out when we leave our campsite? Or is it likely to be stolen?
Well, now everyone on the www knows there's a Honda up for grabs?

I would just lock it with a bike cable as we do. That's about as best as you can do.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:01 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Please... Reconsider creating an opportunity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
Well, now everyone on the www knows there's a Honda up for grabs?

I would just lock it with a bike cable as we do. That's about as best as you can do.
I agree with Ted. Use a bicycle cable. In Las Vegas you will have a cable and no bike by morning in some areas. You must have good insurance deductibles. The generator can be balanced on the lap while peddling...

Where do you hide your extra cash while on your trip? You will need it to replace the Honda generator.

I parked my Toyota truck along the street in Cleveland, Ohio to look at a Geology book collection at a national used book store. They asked where I parked. I said out on the street. They said my truck radio was probably already.... stolen. It wasn't and they had me park in the fenced, gated parking lot for their employees.

A stolen Honda will bring $400 on any street corner. Maybe $250 if you are a good negotiator and do not pay with a credit card. Stolen, of course.

You are more likely to have your Airstream stolen from a RV Park if you do not have a durable Hitch Lock installed. I write upon my Honda generator my name and telephone number with a black magic marker. I apply the same on the inside of the removable section. At least then, you may get a telephone call and get it back for a $100 'Finder's Reward'...

So, What the Hell. Do what you want. When you report the Honda theft to the local Police Department, if they do not send out a crew to investigate... call it a cheap education.

Thieves are better prepared than you think. If you think they are not... this will be a good example for a future posting describing the entire ordeal.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:13 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
You all r taking the fun out of camping and beginning to sound like the media with their doom and gloom over the election.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:28 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
The pro thief will get the gen no matter what you do if given enough time. Nothing you can do about it. But, the opportunistic thief who just happens to be walking by and sees the gen can be deterred. Cable locks or anything can deter him. If he can't pick it up and run, he won't take it. When we motorcycle toured we would put as many as five cable type locks and other kryptonite locks through the wheels and frames of the two bikes. A pro could have still stolen them but someone looking at a chance to roll one away would be deterred. We also covered the bikes after locking them, if you cover your gen that will help. Only on one occasion did we find someone tried to take one of the bikes, but since they were tied together with multiple cables they failed. A pro would have cut all the cables and taken the bike. A non pro gave up, too much work.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:38 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
Myrtle Beach bike week we had our two motorcycles cabled together and to a post.

Next morning our two bikes are fine, but the bike next to mine is gone.....

Don't be an easy target....
nsbcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:50 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Both of our Honda 2000 generators (the set) were converted to propane only which removed the gasoline tank (GenConnex conversion).

I carry one Honda (with the 30 amp twist-lok outlet) inside the Mercedes under cover when towing the 23D. The hybrid Magnum MSH-3012 converter/inverter can draw enough extra power from the lithium battery to start the air conditioner and the single generator will keep it running. We added a front 30 amp power inlet and an automatic transfer switch to the 23D so the generator can be right by the front propane outlet and I have made a short six foot 30 amp cord to go from the generator to the trailer.

The Solaire grill we carry in the Mercedes has also been adapted to run off the front propane outlet.

I carry the two Honda units in the Ram 2500HD when towing the Classic (which has a camper shell with so much stuff and a couple of shipping blankets that they are not visible). I can also carry my spare 30 pound propane tank in the truck. One unit could run off the trailer front propane outlet, but I have a special dual hose with single regulator to run them both off of a single 30 pound propane tank.

When not actually running, the generators are put away as soon as they cool down. We fasten them when running to the "A" frame member of the 23D or wheel on the Classic using a "BOLT" cable lock system or two which are keyed to the door key of the truck.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:45 AM   #38
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Help the honest people stay honest . . .

It is said that locks only keep honest people out. That said, anything you can do to slow a thief, make it noisier, make it more work, the more likely the crook will move to the next victim.

Tom
Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 06:22 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
So the take away is if you can't afford to lose one don't get one.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 07:02 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
No, I do not think it is safe to leave the Honda generator out while not at the campsite. Yet I have used a cable lock and left mine out in places and it was not stolen. But that is not something that I do often or would suggest that you do The generator is just a very tempting target for thieves trying to raise quick cash.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote