Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2016, 07:19 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
If you are interrupted during the hookup steps, STOP. Start over from the beginning and check each item on your checklist. Interruptions or not, have someone else check your work. Even then something important can be missed. Many years ago I was getting a pilot's license and the instructor and I preflighted the airplane. Just before I was going to start the engine someone asked if we really intended to fly that airplane then, as the tow bar was still attached to the nosewheel. BOTH of us had stepped over it on the preflight.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:31 PM   #22
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
At a rally just last week, I offered to help an elderly couple hook up because I could see that they were struggling with some of the more physical tasks. The man told me flat-out, "No. Don't help. Don't interrupt. If we want help we'll ask for it." I chose not to be offended by that curt response, because the man was exactly correct. Despite their age and infirmity, they had their procedure fine-tuned. Far from helping, I would have been a hindrance. They might have gotten done quicker with my help, but they might just as easily have overlooked something because of the change in their routine.

I learned my lesson from that. From now on, I will help if asked, but otherwise just stay out of the way and keep my mouth shut. And as anyone who knows me will attest, keeping my mouth shut is one of the most difficult things in the world for me to do!
Old 05-15-2016, 08:42 PM   #23
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I agree protag, my routine is in my head and I try not to sway off of it. We got hipome 10.30, Lexington, KY to NJ. I had not driven one of the 700 plus miles. I was the gps gal. However we got home, I drive last 300 feet., we live in dark area and it was pitch black with clouds. Dennis was trying to be very helpful as I was backing in, but what he could not understand, I could not see,
I had a walkway, garage, second truck, and sharp turn to go thru to get trailer in home position. I got her in driveway, unolugged and called it a night. This am, fresh from sleep I backed her dow in one clean move. I knew safety was waiting to daylight in this case. Always when I back up, no radi, no heat or a/c, windows open, hands bottom of wheel, deep breath, and let me think my olan of movement. When gkids in car, no one allowed out until we are set and unhitched.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:45 PM   #24
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
When I'm working on the trailer/car/motorcycle, I will not step away from my current task until the fasteners are tight. Failing that, I leave some fasterner unreplaced but sitting ready to be installed so that I know I'm not done.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:29 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Pleasant Plains , Illinois
A few things from my routine:
1. Make sure the ball is latched to the coupler. I look up under the coupler to inspect. Someone mentioned lifting the trailer to accomplish the same thing.
2. Do a thorough walk around putting eyes on about everything.
3. Turn on the lights and 4 way flashers to check running and brake lights are working.
4. Bump the manual brake activator to check trailer brakes as I'm beginning to roll.

A lot of good ideas posted that will prevent a possible catastrophe.