Old 08-21-2014, 09:54 AM   #99
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmaestro View Post
But it can be scary being in the flow...
Everyone has a comfortable driving speed, above which it gets scary because you instinctively KNOW your reactions aren't up to the task of going that fast.

As soon as you realize that you can't SAFELY keep up with the flow of traffic, it's time to exit and find an alternate route. Or for those rare areas where the isn't a good alternate route, at least wait for an alternate time of day when traffic isn't as heavy and you're not in danger of becoming a rolling roadblock. Part of good defensive driving is knowing when not to drive…

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:08 AM   #100
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Pro...

You may have to stay out of California. 7x24 chaos as far as I can tell.

Poppy

WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:18 AM   #101
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Years ago when ABS first was used on motorcycles, it was proven an experienced rider could out stop the ABS on wet or dry pavement. No matter how many so called safety devices are added to cars, the average poor drivers will still try to kill us and themselves. People rely on ABS etc, to compensate for poor driving skills. Be careful out there! Jim
Old 08-21-2014, 10:21 AM   #102

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Pro...

You may have to stay out of California.
That's the plan, anyway. I'm firmly convinced that every few years, they tip the whole country up on edge and let the nuts roll down to California, in the hope that when they lay the country back down the way it's supposed to be, the mountains will keep the nuts from rolling back.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 08-21-2014, 10:29 AM   #103
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Everyone has a comfortable driving speed, above which it gets scary because you instinctively KNOW your reactions aren't up to the task of going that fast.

As soon as you realize that you can't SAFELY keep up with the flow of traffic, it's time to exit and find an alternate route. Or for those rare areas where the isn't a good alternate route, at least wait for an alternate time of day when traffic isn't as heavy and you're not in danger of becoming a rolling roadblock. Part of good defensive driving is knowing when not to drive…
Quote:
Pro...

You may have to stay out of California. 7x24 chaos as far as I can tell.

Poppy

Hi, up until recently, I spent my entire life in Southern California; To do what Protagonist says you wouldn't be able to drive at all. Going from Lakewood to the South Coast Plaza, for our daily walk, was an 80 MPH drive with the flow of traffic. This was normal. As the saying goes: "Lead, Follow, or get the 7734 out of the way."

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:43 AM   #104
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Routing for Safety

You're cracking me up Pro.

Staying on topic, routing a trip falls under the heading of safety.

For example, I would love to avoid California entirely, but it is actually an issue for me. When my wife and I head south from Oregon in the winter we have no choice but to go through there as road conditions on the east side of the Sierras are apt to be wintry. It's actually not too bad until you get to Sacramento, but then there are few desirable (i.e. safe, low stress) routes until you can escape to the east. I-5 through Stockton is about as bad as it gets.

I did pretty well last year by veering off to the east as soon as possible, just skirting the southern tip of the Sierras. The more I do this the more I pay attention to routing. It's supposed to pleasurable, not stress filled, right?

Poppy
WBCCI #4291

Old 08-21-2014, 10:44 AM   #105

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, up until recently, I spent my entire life in Southern California; To do what Protagonist says you wouldn't be able to drive at all.
I guess California residents have to train up their game so that 80mph IS a comfortable speed for them. You can get used to anything if you do it every day.

I'll just stay the 7734 out of the way, and be glad that I don't HAVE to deal with traffic that would make a seasoned Autobahn traveler cringe.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 08-21-2014, 10:55 AM   #106
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I guess California residents have to train up their game so that 80mph IS a comfortable speed for them. You can get used to anything if you do it every day.

I'll just stay the 7734 out of the way, and be glad that I don't HAVE to deal with traffic that would make a seasoned Autobahn traveler cringe.
Hi, I have heard that people think California drivers are bad drivers, but that is not true. By the nature of the beast, you must be a good driver to handle driving in California.

Now, I go with the flow in Oregon and feel so relaxed. I laugh when Oregon people tell me about rush hour.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 08-21-2014, 01:33 PM   #107
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
It has been a little bit since I have been in CA, but last time I was there the speed limit for trucks and VEHICLES WITH TRAILERS was 55. Is this still the case?

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:56 PM   #108
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
It has been a little bit since I have been in CA, but last time I was there the speed limit for trucks and VEHICLES WITH TRAILERS was 55. Is this still the case?
Yes. But I'm not sure how closely it's enforced. Seems like anarchy on California roads to me. I get the impression that law enforcement just wants the traffic to move and refrains from impeding it.

Poppy
WBCCI #4291

Old 08-21-2014, 04:58 PM   #109
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Safety: Learning from Incidents, Accidents & Crashes

I think if I were going through LA I would get behind a 57 mph truck and just ride there.

I used to make frequent trips to Seattle from New Mexico in big trucks, I almost always went a little out of my way to drive through Nevada instead of CA.

I despised that trip up and down I-5.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:02 PM   #110
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Hi, yes that is the law, but it seems as though 10 MPH over is acceptable. Most, not all, big rigs are going 65 MPH. A few company trucks have signs on the back stating that they drive 55 MPH and they do. 100 MPH and over will get you a big ticket. [or jail] End of the month is always a good time to watch what you are doing while driving.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 08-22-2014, 06:07 AM   #111

2012 Interstate Coach
Change of subject but still on-topic—

Last few days, I've been seeing the "Voices" TV ad for the Infiniti Q50 sedan. I find it very disturbing that the last line of the narration is, "Its instinct to protect leaves you free to drive." A fine example of doublespeak worthy of George Orwell's 1984. The ad should say, "It lets you take your mind off the road."

Cruise control is a fine thing, minimizing driver fatigue while letting you maintain a constant speed on the highway. But lots of people become slaves to the cruise control and continue to use it even when traffic conditions change for the worse, because heaven forbid they have to actually put their foot on the pedal to maintain their speed. I can see the same thing happening with these new "lane departure" warnings and such, people becoming such slaves to them that they fail to pay attention to the traffic around them the old-fashioned way— exactly like the driver in the commercial. How exactly does this work, keeping people safer by making them worse drivers?
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 08-22-2014, 06:35 AM   #112
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
I was thinking the same thing. In the course of one commercial the idiot driver makes several critical mistakes. Driving is not sitting there zoned out, it is a task unto itself and requires constant vigilance regardless of how smart your vehicle is.