Nowhere , Somewhere
What? Jim

Old 08-28-2014, 07:53 AM   #212
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
On further review, the reason that there is such a large dent in the trailer is that it was unable to yield to the lateral force of the swinging half-pole. The trapezoidal linkage of a Hensley would have allowed the trailer to shift gently to the side, thereby avoiding damage.
He said, tongue firmly planted in cheek.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:54 AM   #213
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
We really are not that far apart, you drive at 62 a lot, and I drive at 65 a lot...

J. Morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:23 AM   #214
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We were driving south on highway 191 in Arizona south of I-40. The first 50 miles were smooth as glass and I eased up to 60 with 65 posted. Then it became an undulating nightmare and at times 30 was fast. Got to drive to the road conditions.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:45 PM   #215
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We'll consider that Hensley option for Bambi II. Possibly.

Getting hit by a snapped telephone pole may be a freak accident; but being right behind a driver who loses control of her car, endangering the vehicles behind her, not so much.

Reflecting back on the accident, and now well into Insurance Land, there are just a couple of recommendations to forward. I hadn't been in an accident since 1988, so was a bit fuzzy on the need to:

1. Know some emergency first aid.

Our accident happened in a settled area of lakeside cottages, but it took the volunteer paramedics about 25 minutes to arrive from a little town to the north, the ambulance (from the bigger town to the south) about 45 minutes to arrive, and the RCMP nearly an hour. The utility crew showed up to fix the power lines about 1.5 hours later. Had these been live and falling on the road, we could have had a bigger problem.

Our cell phone service was marginal, in-and-out, in the crash site. Especially in the rural West, your cell phone may not work for you to dial 911.

Even someone who appears uninjured can go into shock.

2. Keep a few emergency orange triangles in the back of your vehicle, to alert oncoming traffic of a problem and to steer them into the open lane, if any.

3. If the other driver involved is lucid, see if you can get the name of his insurance company. We honestly didn't think of this. Our insurance company did, and now the process will take longer while they track it. Also the plate and driver's license number. The latter two go on the police report, but deciphering a fuzzy carbon copy with illegible handwriting can slow things down.

4. The more expensive insurance plan that will allow you to buy a new AS if yours is totaled is worth it.

5. If you can walk away from a crash, count your blessings.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:50 AM   #216
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Thanks for sharing this with us Len and Jeanne. You've reinforced some things I've been thinking about. As many others do here, my wife and I enjoy traveling in remote areas. I took a first aide course years ago and I think I'm going to do a refresher. It also occurs to me that we don't carry orange triangles - might be a good idea to have a bright jacket also. I recently obtained an agreed value insurance policy for my 25 year trailer and you reinforce the wisdom of that decision.

Again, I'm very glad you two are OK. It can sound almost cavalier at times when you're still a little stunned from an accident, but as others say here, stuff can be replaced. The important thing is that our fellow Streamers are OK.

John
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:17 AM   #217
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-aka-Poppy View Post
It also occurs to me that we don't carry orange triangles - might be a good idea to have a bright jacket also.
Here's what I use:
Lighted collapsible safety cones, three in each vehicle: Amazon.com : 28 Inch Lighted, Collapsible Traffic Safety Cone : Sports Cones : Sports & Outdoors
Class II three-color safety vest, one in each vehicle (I'm a solo traveler, but families should have one per person):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Signal wand flashlight, one in my car, two in my Airstream Interstate (so I can use them to give backing-up signals to late arrivals at a campground):
http://www.amazon.com/Dorcy-41-1061-...productDetails
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:24 AM   #218
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
That reminds me. I left my triangles in the Bambi when I sold it. Need a new set.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:11 PM   #219
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Thanks, John and Protagonist.

We actually had some emergency road triangles in the back of our truck, but they were pushed so far forward behind all our camping gear-- with a smashed-in truck & topper back-end under live wires attached to a broken power pole-- that ours were useless. Fortunately someone else stopped at the crash scene got out his triangles. The moral being that if you carry emergency equipment, make sure it is immediately accessible.

Beefier accident safety equipment sounds even better, as other people stopped at the scene had to direct traffic through the one open lane till the paramedics and some type of highway crew showed up with flagman (flag person?) stop & slow signs and walkie-talkies. (A lot of RVers carry these, also, but we didn't.)

We meet with the insurance adjuster on Tuesday, so we'll see what he says, but we hope to back on the road with some type of small AS prior to going to southern Utah in October.

Thanks, John/Poppy-- you are absolutely right. People first, and thankfully we walked away without a scratch, and the woman who ran into the pole didn't seem to be seriously injured.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:01 PM   #220
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I keep road flares in my Ramboxes along with the triangles and safety vest. Personally, I like flares best, because there is almost no missing road flares. Especially at night on a long stretch of highway. They do expire after some time, so check them and light a camp fire with one every now and then.