Old 10-31-2019, 06:49 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Fulton , Maryland
Safety Issues

Hello all,

This is a question to those seniors who like to travel:

I am 70 years old and a former law enforcement agent, now retired, and I have had open heart surgery. I live in Maryland. I was recently given an award for work I had performed, but to accept the award in person, I had to travel alone to Los Angeles.

My family and friends thought it was a terrible idea to travel that far by myself. They told me about the drug dealers and criminals on the road, and that road travel was no longer safe. I did not take the trip, even though I thought I would be okay.

So, fellow travelers, what do you think? Should I sell my rv and fly, rent cars, and stay in hotels, or get back on the road? I would be curious to hear what you think and if you have been the victims of crimes.

Thanks in advance

Jerry Simpson

Jerrysimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That kind of rumor mongering is promulgated by people who aren’t really out there on the road, or those who live in fear and travel under only tightly controlled circumstances.

IMHO.

I have about 240,000 miles under my RV belt, about 60,000 of those by myself the last 5 1/2 years as a widow.

This country is very safe, overall, and most people mean you no harm, is my experience.

Use common sense and reasonable precautions, get out there and GO.

Maggie

Old 10-31-2019, 06:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
That is advice from people that donít travel. Enjoy this beautiful country as the odds are way in your favor.

Congratulations on the award.
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:56 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I cannot speak for LA or California, but in our camping travels, we have never encountered anything resembling violence or threats. We tend to stay in campgrounds, not public parking lots, and those campgrounds have only been populated by campers. With modern methods of payment, I do not carry much cash and usually look like a camper on vacation. We are also usually in our camper by dark. If I were alone, I would not hesitate to travel across country in an RV.
Larry
lsbrodsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:12 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Dubach , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrysimpson View Post
Hello all,

This is a question to those seniors who like to travel:

I am 70 years old and a former law enforcement agent, now retired, and I have had open heart surgery. I live in Maryland. I was recently given an award for work I had performed, but to accept the award in person, I had to travel alone to Los Angeles.

My family and friends thought it was a terrible idea to travel that far by myself. They told me about the drug dealers and criminals on the road, and that road travel was no longer safe. I did not take the trip, even though I thought I would be okay.

So, fellow travelers, what do you think? Should I sell my rv and fly, rent cars, and stay in hotels, or get back on the road? I would be curious to hear what you think and if you have been the victims of crimes.

Thanks in advance

Jerry Simpson
Get back on the road Jerry. On your way out stop by the sporting goods store and get yourself some protection. You will be just fine. Trust me.
Phantom98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:38 AM   #6

2018 27' Globetrotter
Elbert , CO
It sounds like the people you talk to don't get out much but watch a lot of TV. We are seniors and have encountered nothing resembling violence; the bulk of America is still sane, friendly, and safe. As long as you maintain an awareness and drive courteously, you should be fine.

"We are not descended from fearful men."
- Edward R. Murrow
djb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:34 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
This summer we drove out to Oregon and back, 5,488 miles. I'm soon to be 73 and never had a second thought about it. We had a good time, met some nice people, never had an incident. I've never had an incident in any of my travels and never thought about carrying a weapon. My wife and son were with me but other than calling 911 for a medical emergency they would not be much help for even changing a tire. Get back on the road, plan your next stop and call for a reservation. Always try to stay in a campground.

There is a free app called RVParky that gives directions, reviews, prices paid and photos. It's very helpful, used it a lot on that long trip.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
I have a feeling that more people have been arrested in airports, bus stations, hotels and other public transportation places than RV parks.

Now then 70 isn't that old from my position. But tell me do you look like a helpless old man and easy mark.......or a cop? You going to be about traveling or loitering?
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:06 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
We are in our very late 70’s . Have spent many months of the last 10 years on the road. No worries. No problems. We use some judgement in where we stay and go.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:13 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We have a friend who is over 80 and travels by herself in her Airstream. She has never had an issue and travels EVERYWHERE.
Go have fun!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:32 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Common sense and situational awareness will keep you safe most all of the time. The biggest danger seems to be the crazy drivers going too fast for the road conditions.

Mike
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:49 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Safety Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
Common sense and situational awareness will keep you safe most all of the time. The biggest danger seems to be the crazy drivers going too fast for the road conditions.

Mike

Exactly. Just completed an 8,000 mile trip, 4,000 of which was towing and living in our Airstream. We stayed in Cracker Barrel and Walmart parking lots several times, and never felt threatened or unsafe. We travel with 4 dogs.

Trip took us to Alabama, Maryland, North Carolina and Florida. No issues other than heavy traffic at times, high temperatures and humidity.

Iím in my 70s and stay up on my situational awareness. If it looks sketchy we keep moving.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:02 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I am almost 70. I have never been in an unsafe situation although I have passed up on a few sketchy situations. The time will come when I am no longer able to travel but I'm not there yet. Activity for seniors is a big factor in mental health and avoiding depression and associated physical decline. As for me with the time I have left I would rather die on the road than holed up somewhere waiting for the grim reaper pining away for the past and what could be.

One suggestion is join the WBCCI or some other RV club. sign for some rallies or caravans . Sounds like you are single. Find someone to share the adventure.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:08 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
My wife and I just recently completed a 3 month, 10,000 mile round trip across the US and Canada and back to Portland OR without a single safety issue. We also drove to Alaska and back never feeling unsafe. I'm 73 and my wife is 70. As a former LE, I'm sure your situation awareness is way better than the average traveler. Planning using many of the campground/rv website ratings is essential for reading the praises and concerns of camper's experiences. campgroundreviews.com is one of our favorites that we have been using the longest, but some new ones we use too. You just can't experience the beauty of this country from an airplane or hotel. We travel with our two Labradors and no one is getting our AS without their approval. Go for it!!!
Old 10-31-2019, 11:20 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Safety Issues

One of the reasons DW and I even got a camper is because her parents launched their retirement in a 5th wheel. Starting in their 60s, they spent 6-9 months a year on the road seeing this amazing country. Only this year in their 80s have they hung up the trailer just due to a lack of comfort in driving skills going forward - nothing about personal safety ever in all those years for all that time.

Think about it - thereís nearly 400 million US residents. You watch the news and learn about 50 jerks. The other 99.99999% of the population may have a range of jerks and criminals, but thereís much more good news out there than bad - weíre just used to the incessant over-indexing on what sucks instead of whatís great.

My in-laws experienced a lot of whatís great in the people and places of America for nearly 20 years without issue. Someday when I retire, I fully expect DW and I to hit the road and enjoy the adventure as well!

Hope you do too. Besides - as was said earlier - Iíd rather go out doing something I love than dying in a prison of my own making out of unfounded fear. Everyoneís mileage can vary - but thatís my $0.02 and Iím sticking to it

Good luck and congrats on the award!
SteveSueMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:36 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Check out if your health insurance provides coverage outside of your home area providers. This applies if you are on the road or using other transportation. Good Sam offers medical coverage for travelers including medical flights, but it is not cheap. My insurance is ok so I don't carry extra. Seems to me medical emergencies away from home are a bigger safety risk than thugs.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:40 AM   #17
2020 Classic 33 on order

Box Elder , South Dakota
Jerry you can't get new family but you need a change in your friends Go for it. Same common sense rules a LEO would use. Stay out of bad areas and keep on traveling.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:09 PM   #18
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Well. We travel a lot too. If you hang out with your RV (or NOT) in the south Bronx and maybe some neighborhoods in LA and SF as well as most any other city the warnings are likely to be valid. We don't hang out in these places and likely you don't either. Ignore them and take a trip. It's a big world out there and not enough time to see it all so DO IT WHILE YOU ARE ABLE.

ENJOY

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:21 PM   #19

Currently Looking...
Sweet Home , Oregon
Jerry, As a cardiac RN, If the Open heart was less than 3 months, then you really should have to have some with you. If fact I would personally would not do it if I was less than 6 months out of surgery without help. Other than that, I would do it. I do not own a Trailer yet. But we camp 4-5 times a year, and we travel about 4,000 miles a year to see family. I won't fly unless they force me to with work, or I have to make it across the country in less than a few days.

As a Law enforcement, you get to see the worst of low life people this country has to offer. As a RN, 1/2 of the people I deal with are drug addicts, Alcoholics, maladjusted, and psych patients. The other half are wonderful human beings that are in a bad position needing my help. I know that there are a lot more great people in this country than bad, I just don't get to see or meet them unless I get out of the hospital.

Don't let a few bad apples ruin your time. You have been trained with situation awareness and how to protect yourself. Don't be paranoid, just enjoy your journeys.
2008RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:51 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Canyon Country , California
Never seen an arrest in any campgrounds I have been to.

Los Angeles is a HUGE city but I did not have any problems in there. Homeless people generally focus on themselves. yes the roads are bad... Just do not go in the wrong areas at nights, you will be fine.

There are NO campgrounds in bad areas but good ones are away from city. There is one near LAX. Most campgrounds are near coast while others are up in mountains.

2017 M16 Bambi
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote