Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-31-2019, 11:57 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
I agree with the prior advice, get traveling. In 2017 I did 5 trips between NY and Oregon, 3 of them solo. Never a problem from people, some weather challenges but those can be avoided when traveling for pleasure.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:12 PM   #22
FYS
2 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Congrats! Go! Enjoy!

I don't understand your hesitation and I believe that you're making it too complicated than it should. Firstly, congradulations on your achievement and the recognition. Secondly, definately use this excuse to visit California and make a nice trip out of it. Finally, just save your energy and fly to California and utilize many available ride service such as Uber or Lyft. That way, more time to play rather than stuck in traffic, or worry about parking, or damage/break-in of your RV.

Think that you've lived through a lot, i.e. heart surgery, etc. Now is definately time to live to the fullest and explore all the possibilites (provided that your doctor cleared you to travel). What more do you have to loose? I'm a Californian and don't worry about the crime. Think about all the wonderful places with good eats! Besides, the locals (and the ride service drivers) will happily help you out and point you to the right direction.

That being said, be sure to do your research on the internet ahead of time. Plan ahead, read the reviews, make reservations, download the necessary apps on your phone in advance, read up on TSA rules, etc.

Perhaps there are other point-of-interest while you are visiting California. Oh... be sure to wear comfortable shoes and dress in multiple layers that you can shed or add. Here where I am in SF Bay Area, the temperature can vary from 30s to 80s in a single day, like today.
FYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:22 PM   #23
FYS
2 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Also, California is almost becoming a cashless society just like Netherlands so it's inherently safer against being mug. Almost all places preferred credit cards, but you can also pay with your smart phones or smart watch, even for small item such as a cup of coffee.
FYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:52 PM   #24
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Being a LEO, I would assume you have good situational awareness. And since you have already cheated the grim reaper once (or maybe more), use what ever time is left to get out and enjoy what is important to you. The naysayers may mean well but probably do not possess the same interests as you.

If you take your time traveling and avoid overnights in rest areas and truck stops you will be fine. Campgrounds are probably safer than most roadside motels!

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:44 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I'm 85 & 1/2, had open heart 13 yrs ago have not slowed down except to quit racing and flying only because of no funds. plus not as strong as once was. I don't hesitate to go any where I want to. This summer I went to 4 day race plus 2 days driving. Event out of state by myself. I also went to 2 camping events 4 days each by myself. When I worked I was in many places that were gang & drug, plus high crime areas, had no prob. just minded my self & attitudes. If you are in good shape & mental state go for it, you are only here one time no round trips. No Brinks trucks or saddle bags on box. ENJOY LIFE.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:37 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom98 View Post
Get back on the road Jerry. On your way out stop by the sporting goods store and get yourself some protection. You will be just fine. Trust me.
I’m guessing as retired LEO he is all set. Personally though, I would fly.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:53 PM   #27
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Well we are pushing 75 and spend 4-5 months each year boondocking and travelling. It's like this - be wise in your decision making and enjoy yourself. When I talk to people about fear I break it down like this:

F=false
E=emotion
A=appearing
R=real

In 20+ years of camping and travelling we have never found ourselves in danger. We don't go places that are stupid and we use common sense in decision making. I have always listened to that wee small voice - a voice we all have.
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:06 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbrick View Post
Well we are pushing 75 and spend 4-5 months each year boondocking and travelling. It's like this - be wise in your decision making and enjoy yourself. When I talk to people about fear I break it down like this:

F=false
E=emotion
A=appearing
R=real

In 20+ years of camping and travelling we have never found ourselves in danger. We don't go places that are stupid and we use common sense in decision making. I have always listened to that wee small voice - a voice we all have.

I’m 76 my wife is 74 no way are we not going to travel. However we are learning to travel and work safely. Get out and travel. If we have a problem to big for us, there is always someone camping next to us that will step in and help, as we would them. RVers help each other.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:11 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
All baloney..we go Coast to coast...never any problems...stay at truckstops...rest areas...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:31 PM   #30
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Suggest you take the advice of friends and family. They know you best and the emotional impact of heart surgery is a life changing event. What you did before may well be beyond your capacity now. If you want to travel, you will do it when you are ready. It is no more dangerous on the road than at home. Likely less so, because you will pay more attention to what you are doing. But you will not be near your support system if you need it.

In any case, sit tight until you are ready to move. You'll know when to drop it for good, or pick it up again. Do not let anyone push you into something that is not right for you. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 03:33 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrysimpson View Post
Hello all,

This is a question to those seniors who like to travel:

I am 70 years old and a former law enforcement agent, now retired, and I have had open heart surgery. I live in Maryland. I was recently given an award for work I had performed, but to accept the award in person, I had to travel alone to Los Angeles.

My family and friends thought it was a terrible idea to travel that far by myself. They told me about the drug dealers and criminals on the road, and that road travel was no longer safe. I did not take the trip, even though I thought I would be okay.

So, fellow travelers, what do you think? Should I sell my rv and fly, rent cars, and stay in hotels, or get back on the road? I would be curious to hear what you think and if you have been the victims of crimes.

Thanks in advance

Jerry Simpson

Jerry, only you can assess your own fitness and abilities, but I’ll share that at 68, with two open heart surgeries (aortic valve replacements) behind me, My First Mate and I travel/camp 10K miles/year. With over 82K miles and 683 nights aboard in the last 8 yrs, we have never had a problem with crime. Much of that boondocking. No dog, no guns, just bear spray and common sense safety awareness.

Safe Travels,
JamuJoe
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:28 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
All good advice from previous posts. You know your abilities / health so I would trust your gut as to what you want to do. We just finished a 7,000 mile 2 month trip and never felt unsafe in any place we stayed. We like to boondock when we can. We checked out some dispersed camping spots and our inner voice told us it was too isolated for us to be alone in the woods so we did not stay there. IMO I feel safer camping where we camp than I do in a Hotel / Motel in a lot of cities.

One of the spots on our visit was Port Aransas / Corpus Christi, Texas. There were a lot of people that camped on the beach in the Port Aransas area. I’m sure this was a safe spot as safety in numbers and right there in the city limits. However, we visited the South Padre Island National Park visitor center south of the Bob Hall pier and south of Corpus Christi. That area was much more isolated and is the area that has been in the news lately where a couple was camping on the beach and went missing. All of the details haven’t come out yet but their RV and TV were stolen crossing into Mexico and their bodies were found buried in a sand dune. A very sad story.

For me, with my abilities and health, I would take my RV on your trip as I feel safe traveling and where I stay. I wouldn’t let isolated instances deter me. As with any instance, just be aware of your surroundings and trust your judgement. We share our location on our Iphone with our children while travelling and check in with them as to our travel plans. I think they worry about us more than we worry about us while travelling.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 11:07 AM   #33
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

This actually breaks down into several separate questions:

1) Is camping safe? I don't have any fancy statistics, but the simple answer is yes. The only qualifier would be "camping where other people camp" as opposed to random streets in various urban areas.

2) Is driving safe? There is a safety issue running an RV. They are big and heavy. They don't stop as fast as a passenger car. Visibility is not as good as a "normal" vehicle. If they break down, doing repairs may be a bit exciting ( = get a repair service plan ).

3) Is the travel part tiring ? Yes indeed it is. Doing this without a co-pilot means you have to catch all those stupid signs yourself. No GPS on the planet will tell you all you need to know. Watching out for idiots on the road is work. You need to pace yourself. Don't plan to drive 850 miles a day ( though some people do just that ....).

4) Is the camping part tiring? Ummm.... errrr .... I'll get back to you on that after my nap .... You do have a bit of setup / teardown. None of it is super tough. Laundry and shopping are no worse on the road than in town. Sitting and looking at beautiful scenery is sort of why you came .....

5) Are you up to this? That's a very basic question to go over with your doctor. I would not push the envelope past anything he / she feels is reasonable.

So let's say that the doctor says ok, what's reasonable? I'd suggest starting out slow (couple hours a day) and see how it goes. Allow for more stress / traffic in urban areas. Try not to have definite dates and times you have to hit. Stay in touch on a regular basis (couple times a day) with friends and relatives. I'd travel for a few days and then stop someplace for a few days. You won't get there fast, but you will get there

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:10 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Mesa , Arizona
Should an old guy travel?

I’m rapidly approaching 85, been camping over 60years, never an issue with my security.
Guess I could just sit here where the only danger is death from boredom bbt I think I’ll just keep on truckin’ so long as I’m not a hazard to others .
Moodywelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:31 AM   #35

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Really with camping at the 45 year mark, my biggest concerns are more health related as I get older than on the law and order security side. I've had an instance of theft in a big Myrtle Beach campground where someone stole my wheel chocks and bumper end caps on my SOB. Nothing further or situations where I questioned my safety.

Now what I worry about is getting ill on the road, getting my tow vehicle and Airstream home safely, getting my dogs home, and worst case getting me home if I need further medical care that is not available in the area where I am located. I also worry if I have a travel companion with me, not being able to get home or trying to tow a trailer that they aren't qualified to handle. So took out a Good Sam Travel Assist plan that covers those issues. Also I make sure I'm also carrying a Medical Power of Attorney with me also.

That's really what I think about as personal safety as I grow older.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:38 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Clearlake , California
Jerry,
I'm about a year behind you in age. Five years ago I walked alone from Sonoma in Northern California to San Diego, following El Camino Real and visiting the Spanish Missions. In those 800 miles I was continually amazed at the kindness of strangers. I never felt threatened, even walking through Los Angeles and Orange counties. I met some very unlikely allies, or at least so I would have thought beforehand. I encourage you to go and explore and see while you still can. And thanks for your service, Sir.
napabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:49 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
I find it a bit hard to understand why a hardened senior citizen would be asking such a question. You know how to take care of yourself, you know what looks safe and what doesn't. Go get your dadgum award.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:50 AM   #38

2019 22' Sport
San Antonio , Texas
I haven’t travelled in our AS alone, but I would feel perfectly safe staying in campgrounds. Sticking to areas with cell reception would be wise, in case you have a medical emergency. Not sure I would feel comfortable boondocking alone, though.
Doc10r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:01 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Standish , California
Talking Overnighting at Walmart

We were in a small town w/o RV parks or community camping, it was getting late, plus, driving in a torrential downpour just wasn't safe, so we opted for the legendary free camping at Walmart. Now, those of you who are clutching your pearls about us taking our Airstream to a Walmart need read no further. Anyone who enjoys a good laugh, continue on...

No hookups (of course), 85* and steamy, we opened the bedroom windows to let some air in while he read a book, I played Solitaire, and the 8-month-old pup chilled beside me. Out of the dark, a female calls out "Are you there?" which sends the pup into convulsions of barking (he's a big boy)...said female then tells the dog "It's alright baby, I'm just looking for my friend"...more crazed barking while my husband sits there oblivious because he is deep into his book. Needless to say, I didn't respond because I didn't have any friends in that town and still don't. Whether she found her friend is still an unanswered question.
StephiesNana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:03 AM   #40
DotPaul

2006 22' Parkway
Rochester , Minnesota
I just drove my RV from Rochester to Los Angeles, and back. Alone - no one with me. I had no problems on the trip. I use Pilot and/or Loves for non-tourist overnight stays. I feel very safe around all the 18-wheelers. I think the stories about Los Angeles are over-hyped. I lived there most of my life and never had any problems. Enjoy your travels! It is a beautiful country to see thru your windshield.
Paul708 is offline   Reply With Quote