Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-07-2019, 05:56 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renascence View Post
Have driven no less than 225,000 miles ...
A tip of the hat to you guys! Some big miles and a great attitude.

And ... "Bug Dust!" I'm stealing that one.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:53 AM   #62
Everyday is a GIFT !!

2015 30' Classic
Collins , Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Nelson428
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/arres...b08b735d6336a8
AirForums # 66116
Nelson428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:47 PM   #63
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrysimpson View Post
Hello all,

This is a question to those seniors who like to travel:

I am 70 years old and a former law enforcement agent, now retired, and I have had open heart surgery. I live in Maryland. I was recently given an award for work I had performed, but to accept the award in person, I had to travel alone to Los Angeles.

My family and friends thought it was a terrible idea to travel that far by myself. They told me about the drug dealers and criminals on the road, and that road travel was no longer safe. I did not take the trip, even though I thought I would be okay.

So, fellow travelers, what do you think? Should I sell my rv and fly, rent cars, and stay in hotels, or get back on the road? I would be curious to hear what you think and if you have been the victims of crimes.

Thanks in advance Jerry Simpson

Jerry there are several levels to consider this opportunity: Very few awards would be important enough for me to sell my RV and give up on RVing. Second, driving across the USA from Maryland to Los Angeles is a long way in time on the road and gasoline/food/campground fees etc. I'm 75 and it takes us six days to drive across Atlanta to Los Angeles pulling a trailer, with 2 or 3 more down days because we can only drive 380 miles a day before my eyes give out and can't do it day after day without a break. Remember, you're not 40 anymore.

Safety is another factor: traveling alone, your health has much less of a safety net. As to personal safety, we travel with firearms and can use them, but our Georgia Weapons License is not valid in all states that we cross, so we have to stop, unload and store and lock both the firearms and ammo. Forgetting to can result in all sorts of problems, esp. in California. If you stay in reputable RV campgrounds and refuel at well lit busy gas stations you should be OK. If you try and cut corners staying in less structured situations, you have little to no safety net.

I'd shop for discount airfares from Southwest Air or similar carriers and price the door to door cost via air and uber/lyft against the cost in fuel, food, campgrounds, etc. and that's if your RV is in good road condition. Repairs enroute would change the financial metrics. Can you drive it? Probably yes, safely, but you're safety-net health wise, repair wise, unknowns wise is much less in your 70s and 80s. I would guess that flying will be cheaper and the safety net stronger, but if you want to take a month or so to drive across the South and back before it gets too cold, and see stuff, just stay out of the high mountain passes and enjoy.
+dca

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 03:17 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I travelled extensively with my work for 35 years...let alone my personal rv travel. I note no real difference today than 35 years ago. I hotelled I many urban and suburban areas and walked freely about town. Situational awareness is your defence. If it dont look right, it isn't. Keep your head on a swivel.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 04:27 AM   #65
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Too funny.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 05:00 AM   #66
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Meant to post to Countryboy. Oh well. We certainly no more about Jerry’s health.

I’m not 70 yet but I’ve survived a little over 20 back surgeries and that’s exactly why I bought my AS and decided to go see this gorgeous county instead of sitting in a wheelchair playing it safe. Time to go play, I’ve paid my dues.
I travel solo since my husband passed away 3 years ago. I have 2 dogs, 2 cell phones with 2 different providers that are fully charged (1st line of defense) security cameras inside and several firearms (absolutely last option, I go, I’m taking you with me) cans of wasps spay (as long as the wind isn’t in my face) never carry cash and make 3 phone calls a day at specific times to friends that know my itinerary. I’ve logged about 15,000 miles in 3 years so far and I’m just getting started. I am over insured and my dogs will make it to their godparents via Skymed in an emergency. I’m a former Level 1 trauma nurse and have no fear of dying which I can do anywhere including my living room and not be discovered any faster.

Pack some common sense when you head out and enjoy your life. Sitting in a nursing home is not something I look forward to. We get one life, how you choose to spend it is entirely your choice. I hope my last words are “da#&, that was fun, or beautiful or awesome...!”

Note my tag line...

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 05:21 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for a great thread, Jerry, and for all the fine replies. Similar age and health history here.

Keep breathing, and happy trails!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:25 AM   #68
Everyday is a GIFT !!

2015 30' Classic
Collins , Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Nelson428
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
Meant to post to Countryboy. Oh well. We certainly no more about Jerry’s health.

I’m not 70 yet but I’ve survived a little over 20 back surgeries and that’s exactly why I bought my AS and decided to go see this gorgeous county instead of sitting in a wheelchair playing it safe. Time to go play, I’ve paid my dues.
I travel solo since my husband passed away 3 years ago. I have 2 dogs, 2 cell phones with 2 different providers that are fully charged (1st line of defense) security cameras inside and several firearms (absolutely last option, I go, I’m taking you with me) cans of wasps spay (as long as the wind isn’t in my face) never carry cash and make 3 phone calls a day at specific times to friends that know my itinerary. I’ve logged about 15,000 miles in 3 years so far and I’m just getting started. I am over insured and my dogs will make it to their godparents via Skymed in an emergency. I’m a former Level 1 trauma nurse and have no fear of dying which I can do anywhere including my living room and not be discovered any faster.

Pack some common sense when you head out and enjoy your life. Sitting in a nursing home is not something I look forward to. We get one life, how you choose to spend it is entirely your choice. I hope my last words are “da#&, that was fun, or beautiful or awesome...!”

Note my tag line...

I’m in full agreement!!
AirForums # 66116
Nelson428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 03:08 PM   #69
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
1957 18' Wanderer
Marfa , Everywhere
Fear is a real motivating factor for a whole lot of people. Decisions made based on being afraid are often not the best ones. We have been on the road for almost three years now, and we feel that the road is friendly place, with nice people and beautiful places to see. That does not mean that we let our guard down, ever, and size other people up the same way we did when we lived in the big city. That said, you might think about getting some sort of traveling Medical Alert system so you know that the paramedics can find you should you need them.

BTW: Los Angeles is full of really really nice trustworthy people, and I'm so sorry that you missed that trip!
57Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 03:10 PM   #70
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
1957 18' Wanderer
Marfa , Everywhere
Wonderful!!!!!!!
57Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:37 AM   #71
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If part of your "safety plan" is communications: Take a look at the Garmin InReach products. They have a limited feature set, so not a cell phone replacement. If you are "out of coverage area" for cell service, you likely can still get one of these to link up and yell for help. They *do* have a coverage plan that you pay for (just like a cell phone). The fancier the plan is, the more it costs. The most basic plan is ~ $12 a month on a yearly contract. At $50 a month, you can send / receive unlimited text messages.

https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/inreach/

Not something I would use to get the cops there in a hurry. Certainly something to consider for a crash / medical issue off on some remote road to nowhere. You need a sky view to hit the satellites so not a good bet inside an Airstream (though I have not yet tried that ....)

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:26 AM   #72
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Alpine , Texas
For your own safety

My advice is to sell the RV, use the money to buy a recliner and big screen TV. There is no reason to spend the next 20-25 years of your life doing things that you have never done before, and may never do again. Why spend your last days on dangerous adventures and stupid experiences when you can be safely watching reruns of I Love Lucy and Matlock in your recliner. That is much better than waiting for the inevitable death by road trip.
Ken-West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:46 AM   #73
Tom O

1966 17' Caravel
Altadena , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

If part of your "safety plan" is communications: Take a look at the Garmin InReach products. They have a limited feature set, so not a cell phone replacement. If you are "out of coverage area" for cell service, you likely can still get one of these to link up and yell for help. They *do* have a coverage plan that you pay for (just like a cell phone). The fancier the plan is, the more it costs. The most basic plan is ~ $12 a month on a yearly contract. At $50 a month, you can send / receive unlimited text messages.

https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/inreach/

Not something I would use to get the cops there in a hurry. Certainly something to consider for a crash / medical issue off on some remote road to nowhere. You need a sky view to hit the satellites so not a good bet inside an Airstream (though I have not yet tried that ....)

Bob
I second the In-Reach idea. It allows you to communicate with no ground based coverage. It can be set up to allow someone to track your travels and have a good idea of where you drove off a cliff. We have two of them so that we can communicate after the "Big One" when all of the cell towers are down. One bit of advice, turn off the tracking if you are going to spend time parked in front of a topless bar...

CA-7
Toldfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 02:22 PM   #74
Wanderers

2019 22' Sport
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Safety on the Road for Seniors

Jerry, congratulations on your reward. I say ignore the fears of your family and friends and get out on the road and enjoy yourself! My husband died in 2013 and the following spring I bought a 17 foot small trailer (SOB) and set out by myself with one standard poodle and three cats to drive from New Mexico to the DC area to visit family and friends. I had traveled by motor home for some years, but had never had a trailer and I was not certain how well I would back into spaces by myself. I had a great time. Yes, I used common sense and did not just park by the side of the road at night to sleep. I stayed at KOA or other campgrounds along the Interstates because I knew what to expect and that I could get a pull through spot. I also stayed at truck stops a few times. When people realized I was by myself, I had many offers of help with settling up at night and getting on the road in the morning. I never felt any fear, except for tornado warnings in Tornado Alley. My travels by myself continued for several years and I covered many thousands of miles. I now have a partner and we upgraded to a 22’ AS last winter so he would not hit his head in the shower. We are both almost 80 and have no plans to stop enjoying our travels to explore the US and Canada and visit family and friends. Hope to see you along the way.
MSandSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 05:31 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Hello all,

I am 70 years old and a former law enforcement agent, now retired, and I have had open heart surgery. I live in Maryland. I was recently given an award for work I had performed, but to accept the award in person, I had to travel alone to Los Angeles.

My family and friends thought it was a terrible idea to travel that far by myself. They told me about the drug dealers and criminals on the road, and that road travel was no longer safe. I did not take the trip, even though I thought I would be okay.

So, fellow travelers, what do you think? Should I sell my rv and fly, rent cars, and stay in hotels, or get back on the road? I would be curious to hear what you think and if you have been the victims of crimes.

Thanks in advance

Jerry Simpson

Hello Jerry. You have the spirit and determination... but ask your family WHY they think this may be a bit much for you.

My experience was from a person that came across mentally acute from posts on the Airforums, but was physically unable to travel using a trailer, tow vehicle or a RV. I had to be blunt and advised this person to have someone accompany them, or some day this person would be stranded and die from exposure or from a health issue on the road. Or an accident. They got lost in a small town a group of Airstreams were gathering and the couple that helped, found that 45 mph was about the best speed this person could manage on the highway. Maybe less.

This could be that phase of you life. It is tough to find yourself depending on others to change a tire or be exhausted after several hours traveling.

My Dad, in his early 70's went to an appointment to see his doctor. After sitting in the waiting room, an employee asked if she could help. He said he had an appointment. This clinic was for children. He was at the wrong hospital. That was the last time my mother let him out of sight and to drive. He was reluctant, but could not find the keys... problem solved.

I mean no disrespect as I do not know you. But your family may be like mine. When we get older, it is difficult to give up things you use to enjoy but do not realize that that time has past.

It may be time to find company to travel with. You follow the map and they do the driving.

MSandSM figured it out on her own! Good luck and enjoy those Golden Years.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:34 PM   #76
1 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Los Angeles , California
Safety Issues

Jerry, totally encourage you to continue traveling just the way you do. I’m huge on safety and am always trying to stay one step ahead. I’ve determined that the Airstreams would take a seriously, seriously motivated individual to get into. I’m not sure how the older ones are set up but I can say that the new ones would take an awful lot to get inside. Add some personal protection to that equation and youve got yourself a hell of a setup in the extremely rare and unlikely chance you’d ever need it. We stay anywhere from populated campgrounds to the mountains away from others to the desert just the same. One thing I have, that may be over doing it to some, is I purchased myself a baby monitor with one of those screens that’s battery powered. If I ever feel like I need to keep an eye on things outside (mainly bears) I just plug the camera part to the outside outlet and trust that I’ll be alerted to any movement or loud sounds in which I can pan and zoom the camera to listen/watch in. Best part is that it doesn’t require Wifi like an actual security camera might.
BullShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 07:03 AM   #77

Currently Looking...
Raleigh , North Carolina
My father is 81, from Maryland also, and travels nationwide alone in a truck camper towing a horse trailer and riding horseback all over creation from Sept-December + March-June yearly. He has had zero safety concerns, carries protection just in case, but even in breakdown situations, has met only friendly helpful folks. Yes, he does not travel in heavily populated areas, and makes good choices regarding where he stays. Enjoy and congrats on the award.
HalfCaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:14 PM   #78
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
St. Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Hello all,

Thanks in advance

Jerry Simpson
Congratulations on your award and thanks for your police service! IMO you should be fine traveling alone if your post operative health is good, with a few pointers. Consider:
- Travelling only in daylight hours,
- Overnighting in Commercial RV parks or in WalMarts (free - stay close to the truckers or other RVs). If at a WalMart, a night time walk thru the parking lot to the store can be perilous bc people drive too fast and cut often across parking slots. (I know I sometimes do!).
- Having a good roadside assistance plan

Good luck and have a ball!
Jim Pona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 01:02 AM   #79
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Am occasionally asked if I'm scared to sleep in the AS alone. My stock answer: If someone's going to get me, I'm not waiting up for them.
Old 12-21-2019, 04:03 AM   #80
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Am occasionally asked if I'm scared to sleep in the AS alone. My stock answer: If someone's going to get me, I'm not waiting up for them.
Like! 😊😊
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote