Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-03-2007, 08:03 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Rednax , just curious , what made you determine that 63mph was a safe towing speed ?
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:03 PM   #62
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Would You Be Following So Close In 1953

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpandorf
Just as important as your towing speed is how close you follow the traffic in front of you.
This is our other Love!!
Believe me you don't tailgate in this unit..... Not because you couldn't but because you know that if something happened in front of you, your 54 year old braking system could not match up.
Whenever we Stream, we pretend wer'e driving "Bertha"......stay under 65mph, and leave yourself an escape route.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01915.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	44359  
Old 09-03-2007, 09:37 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS
This is our other Love!!
Believe me you don't tailgate in this unit..... Not because you couldn't but because you know that if something happened in front of you, your 54 year old braking system could not match up.
Whenever we Stream, we pretend wer'e driving "Bertha"......stay under 65mph, and leave yourself an escape route.
I just love your car (sigh). I wish I could have one of everything with wheels on it. Well, okay, there's a couple out there that I think I'd take a significant pass on, but not too many that are 1972 and older, and also many of the "new" ones as well.

We do use the '57 to do most of our towing and until I put the disc brakes on it in '94 I was far more conscious of the less than perfect brakes up front. Like you though, the thought of having to not only repair the car, let alone the difficulty of finding the parts, and even worse, the agony of it being damaged, keeps the speeds pretty much in line and we are very attentive to what is happening around us. That said though there are so many what I'd term ignorant drivers who will leverage the knowledge that we are driving carefully and leaving sufficient maneuvering space in front of us that they cut in between and slam on their brakes to slow down to the speed of the vehicle in front of us before cutting again to the right to make a turn - usually without signaling, or as happens often to get pictures of the car and trailer from the front. It drives me crazy.

But I see that wonderful '53 you have there and I wonder why the heck you aren't using it to tow? I'll attach a photo of what it could like like - our buddies '54 Ford wagon (9 passenger) and his new to him '52 Flying Cloud.

Barry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lee's 54 with Airstream.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	295.3 KB
ID:	44366  
Old 09-04-2007, 08:34 PM   #64
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I think 62/63 is ideal as a towing speed. Others are welcome to disagree. During the twenty-plus years of the 55-mph limit I experimented with different speeds. 62 was best (solo). 55 was fine with a trailer or in a motorhome (primarily due to traffic).

As a truck driver, generally limited to 66 or 68 mph, I never felt that the ability to run 75 mph (legally) would get me anywhere any faster, it was purely psychological. A long day at the wheel of a vehicle that must be driven every mile is a long enough day. And the dangers of reaction time, braking distance, etc, ramp sharply upwards from about 68 mph.

A truck, with a decent company, is a handful. An RV is worse. Few, if any RV drivers realize this. They aren't driving in all weather, all roads, all seasons. It was only the worst weather that took us off the road in a big truck. After all, it was our job.

An RV is a dirt-poor vehicle. Hitches are all a compromise; there are no bodies enforcing hitch/vehicle standards and perfomance; there are no insurance companies mandating standards for coverage, etc.

In other words, no one really knows.

At 62/63 mph on a rural limited access roadway (or, on all roads as a rule of thumb, always 5-mph under the posted limit), I know that I am doing one thing right (no matter my vehicles, their rigging, etc) and that is to be at less than 100% of road speed. Road speed is for vehicles configured and inspected as safe.

No RV meets these standards when hitched. 55 mph is fine but it puts me at 15-mph under the limit and that is problem proven. 60-65 works fine, and cruise set at 62/63 gives me up and down hill leeway.

With such a poor rig, I need all the reaction time I can muster. Mainly to slow down. I like to get out of overdrive as soon as possible if something is hinky. Even feels funny before I see anything.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:57 AM   #65
1 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari
Rockport , Texas
I'm old. My reflexes are slow. I tow at 55 mph max.

Jim
jspeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 01:19 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
The best way to find out if the towing speed you choose is safe....would be to do a couple of emergency maneuvers at that speed...
For example, you WILL find that a sudden lane change (to avoid another vehicle) at 70 to 75 MPH will scare the hell out of you, especially when you find your self either in the grass, or in the median strip!
If that doesn't convince you to slow to 60 to 65, do a measured stop.....that is to really lock up the brakes and see how far it takes you to stop....
Most anyone can drive a vehicle fast in a straight line, but it takes experience, and skill to be able to avoid a car that unexpectably pulls out in from of you....
For whatever it's worth

Larry C
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 01:32 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
The best way to find out if the towing speed you choose is safe....would be to do a couple of emergency maneuvers at that speed...
For example, you WILL find that a sudden lane change (to avoid another vehicle) at 70 to 75 MPH will scare the hell out of you, especially when you find your self either in the grass, or in the median strip!
If that doesn't convince you to slow to 60 to 65, do a measured stop.....that is to really lock up the brakes and see how far it takes you to stop....
Most anyone can drive a vehicle fast in a straight line, but it takes experience, and skill to be able to avoid a car that unexpectably pulls out in from of you....
For whatever it's worth

Larry C
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:31 PM   #68
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Larry, it doesn't take a 7,000 lb. Airstream behind you at 70 or 75 MPH to yield the result you describe. Everyone assumes that not having a travel trailer behind you automatically makes it safe to drive 75 MPH. Like you said, anybody can drive in a straight line...I have even done it at faster speeds in my youth...in a Honda no less. To suggest making those kinds of maneuvers when you don't have to is not the wisest thing to do.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:22 PM   #69
2 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
virginia beach , Virginia
before I tow I always check the air pressure of each tire and stay within 60 to 65 with plenty of room to stop.
The whole point of taking my trailer out is to relax and not get stressed out trying to keep up with everyone on the road. Plus I have preciosu cargo with my wife and children in the vehicle so if it takes a little longer to get "there" oh well. I want plenty of time to stop or react with the bozo's racing alonng and cutting me off. be safe
shantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:00 AM   #70
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Came across a listing of the fifty states laws regarding maximum trailer towing speed. Only seven of the fifty allow speeds above 65 mph, daylight.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:27 AM   #71
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevbo10
i'm sure to raise eyebrows with this one...

in california i drive 64.

in arizona i drive 80.

in new mexico, i'm not even going to tell you...

(weather, road and traffic conditions permitting)

i however do leave massive room ahead of me to go faster.

it's a Hemi Dude...

Bob (friend of K.)
He's not kidding.

We had about 8 Airstreams in a caravan to the Balloon Fiesta in October, I am in the front and the speed was set at 65 going across Northern Arizona on I-40. All of a sudden, here comes Kevin on a break away move. I speed up to try and rope him in. When I get even with him, we are both going 85 and the rest of the pack is getting smaller in my mirrors. at that point I realize that this is dumb and let him go and slow down and let the pack catch up.
We catch up with Kevin at Grants later that day.

Maybe I watched the movie American Flyers too many times...

Ask Kevin about the New Mexico Highway Patrol

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:39 AM   #72
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
He's not kidding.

We had about 8 Airstreams in a caravan to the Balloon Fiesta in October, I am in the front and the speed was set at 65 going across Northern Arizona on I-40. All of a sudden, here comes Kevin on a break away move. I speed up to try and rope him in. When I get even with him, we are both going 85 and the rest of the pack is getting smaller in my mirrors. at that point I realize that this is dumb and let him go and slow down and let the pack catch up.
We catch up with Kevin at Grants later that day.

Maybe I watched the movie American Flyers too many times...

Ask Kevin about the New Mexico Highway Patrol
Far be it from me to be telling anyone what speed they should travel at. We each make our choices and if it's 55 or 85 and they are willing to absord the risks (ie New Mexico Highway Patrol ) and any other risks then that's up to them.

I suppose with either our truck or car I could go a lot faster than we do, but in my case I keep thinking about weeks and months in the shop building the car and I wouldn't want to start over again.

Now, if my truck or car had a hehaw (as we affectionately call a hemi) it might be fun to cut our travel time in half. I may just have to go take a look at them if I ever get behind the wheel again for any length of time. There is absolutely NO way I'm putting that kind of capability in Donna's hands. It's hard enough being a passenger.

As a note our friend still has the hemi cuda he bought new in 1970. Unlike todays fuel injected and reasonable gas mileage hemi, his gets 5 to 6 miles per gallon, if he's not playing around . It could be why he hasn't driven it more than around his crescent for the last 25 years.

Barry
Old 11-18-2007, 10:50 AM   #73
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
It's a hemi dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
Now, if my truck or car had a hehaw (as we affectionately call a hemi) it might be fun to cut our travel time in half. I may just have to go take a look at them if I ever get behind the wheel again for any length of time. There is absolutely NO way I'm putting that kind of capability in Donna's hands. It's hard enough being a passenger.
Barry,
My Donna asked for a 3/4 ton Hemi Ram for her 50th - manual transmission. The occasional remark from her " - and there I was doing 90 (without the camper) and didn't feel like I was going that fast" - this from a Kindergarten teacher.
We can tow at whatever speed seems reasonable. Hardly ever greater than the posted speed limit.

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 03:38 AM   #74
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitzwhopper
Barry,
..." - and there I was doing 90 (without the camper) and didn't feel like I was going that fast" ...
Been there, done that...now both vehicles (and my Gold Wing, now gone) have cruise control. On level ground, useful while towing, but I don't use it in the mountains much.

(Buffett RIP 9/15/08, Gus RIP 12/22/15)(Roger RIP 12/30/20, Penny RIP 6/14/21)

1997 34' Excella WBCCI 5936
'09 Dodge Cummins Ram 3500 Crew 4x4 auto
AIR 1753
Phil and/or Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 07:19 AM   #75
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I use cruise control whenever I can for just that reason. I was towing my Airstream with the PSD and a couple of buddies of mine on a four lane in the Tennessee mountains and chatting away and looked down and we were going 84 MPH uphill!....I told my buddy in the front seat it was time to set the cruise control. I NEVER intentionally tow that fast!!! Heck, I never intentionally drive that fast, period!
WBCCI# 4821
Old 11-30-2007, 05:00 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitzwhopper
Barry,
My Donna asked for a 3/4 ton Hemi Ram for her 50th - manual transmission. The occasional remark from her " - and there I was doing 90 (without the camper) and didn't feel like I was going that fast" - this from a Kindergarten teacher.
We can tow at whatever speed seems reasonable. Hardly ever greater than the posted speed limit.
Barry

When we are in the truck it's easy to forget how fast you are towing. In the '57 it's a whole other story. You can tell when she's buzzing down the highway. Scares the beejabbers out of me. It's just so darned easy to forget to check the speedo and the car just seems to lope along.

It sounds to me like you married a great woman. She has great choice in TV's (and I suppose you'd also add spouse to that).

Barry
Old 11-30-2007, 05:42 PM   #77
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I found 65 feels just right, but if the cruise isn't set, I find myself going 75. Just having been in California, I was surprised by the 55 limit and we drove about 62. Barb was going what felt like 110 down a long, curvy Utah interstate grade the other day, but I gently suggested she follow the 18 wheelers. She did and I resumed breathing. That girl loves those interstates (her mother does too).

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:43 AM   #78
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
The first time my father ever got stopped for speeding was in California when we visited in 1969. He was towing a pop-up on the interstate and was passing a slow moving truck in the right hand lane and got up to 60 and a CHiP stopped him. He managed a warning, but that was his first stop for speeding and he was in his mid-40's I think.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 12-03-2007, 09:37 AM   #79
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
I took drivers educ. when they still taught that in high school. We were taught to check gauges and mirrors with a sweeping view aproximately every 10 secs.
To this day it is an automatic response.
Hard for speed to get away from you when you have a habit of always watching it.

Tom
henw is offline   Reply With Quote