Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2018, 03:31 PM   #1
S/OS # 023

2005 28' Safari S/O
Indianapolis , Indiana
S.E. Utah & New Mexico

The winter is fading in Central Indiana and it is time to begin planning our next adventure. We have travelled west from Indianapolis the past two years and plan to return again this fall. We fell in love with S.W. Utah two years ago Zion, Bryce and North Rim GC - and last year made the Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Black Hills, Badlands, Mt Rushmore tour and loved every minute of it. This year we are targeting S.E. Utah, Arizona, and New Mexico with plans to visit:
Grand Canyon South Rim, Canyonlands NP, Glen Canyon NRA, Arches NP, Moab, and then loop back South East to New Mexico: Taos, and Santa Fe
The primary route will be from Indianapolis S.W. to catch I40 in Oklahoma City ( we did I70 through Denver and really didn't enjoy the drive)
We are interested in any "must see" in those general areas and also in any
road information, high mountain passes to avoid, particularly the leg from
Canyonlands NP back down to Taos, NM
We tow our 28' Safari SO with a 2010 Toyota Tundra and it has done very well but we are basically flatlanders and want to keep our adventure to the camping and hiking part of the journey.
Always amazed in reading the forums how much great information is out there with our Airstream Community What say you ?
PovIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 03:58 PM   #2
honi soit qui mal y pense

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Plan now. Reserve yesterday.

Your destinations are very familiar to us and thousands of others. You will enjoy every campsite providing reservations are nailed down now. One spot to consider is our favorite in AZ, Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument. Only caveat is the timing as summer is toasty. Moab can be jammed so get reservations ASAP. We've visited three times, stayed once when we had reservations. PS: Lees Ferry at Marble Canyon on the Colorado is a great spot for an overnight or two.
2016 Chev Silverado LT Crew 4x4
Robere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:31 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Merkel , Texas
If you have never visited Mesa Verde and have any interest in ancient ruins, I would highly recommend you include it on your trip. Near Cortez, CO, and really an awe inspiring park. Many other early ruins in that area but I say if you are going to visit any this should be the first.
afneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Consider Capital Reef NP, and specifically the Fruita Campground there. Last year, we did many of the parks you referenced, and CR was among our favorites. Joe
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 07:41 PM   #5
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ch-178068.html

You have to visit Pie Town when passing through New Mexico. And print a list of the other great pie suggestions in the thread above.

Depending on your route, When on I70 in Abilene Kansas, you should visit the Eisenhower Museum, Ike's house, the Seeley Mansion and stock up on chocolate at the Russel Stover Warehouse there. Then head South to Wichita and catch a bit of real pan fried chicken and gravy at Strouds on the East side of town. If you pick up 54 West, you will save a bunch of miles by cutting the corner through Western KS and into New Mexico. Unfortunately, you will miss out on the Cowboy hall of Fame in OKC, but you will save the time you lost seeing stuff along the way.

An alternate to I70 is US50. It runs West and lets you angle SW through Kansas and pickup the Arkansas river as it transits Western KS and Eastern Colorado into the Rockies. It's not too far out of the way to see the Royal Gorge and the Black Canyon of Gunnison is just before you spend a night in Montrose and head South for the Million Dollar Highway into Silverton. A night around Durango should rest you up to head over to Mesa Verde as suggested above.

Should be great fun. Hope we see your smiles down the road. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If you have the time take the Durango Silverton Train ride.
The Alpen Rose Rv park is a nice place to stay in Durango.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:09 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Saint louis , Missouri
A MUST in Santa Fe is Meow Wolf

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
"Homer"
loislane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:38 AM   #8
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
If your can check out Silver City area of NM , mostly though from there head into Gila National Forest and check out the cliff dwellings, beautiful area. We were there last april and it was hot in the days and cold at night..... spend some time in a hot spring pools ...awesome.
Make sure If you drive in from Silver city check into with the locals .... you want to take the longer route if hauling the trailer!! Don't take the shorter route as it has too many switch backs for hauling a trailer!!!
Enjoy
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:57 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
Try to take hwy 12. Catch it south of Panguitch, UT about 20 miles or so (guesstimate). Go east past Bryce Canyon NP. Starts really getting interesting after Henrieville or so. Take it to Torrey.

Plan on making a lot of stops. So much to see you may even want to drop your trailer off and just take your TV. KOA Camping in Cannonville, Kodachrome Basin State Park, possibly Henrieville Creek, and near Escalante. There are a number of National Forest Campgrounds off Hwy 12 south of Torrey about 40 miles or so, which are fabulous.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:16 PM   #10

Sedona has one of the RV parks in the country. Ranch Sedona on Oak Creek Is fabulous and the drive down Oak Creek Canyon from I-40 is beautiful.
dcook52549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:29 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcook52549 View Post
Sedona has one of the RV parks in the country. Ranch Sedona on Oak Creek Is fabulous and the drive down Oak Creek Canyon from I-40 is beautiful.
We just got back from a week at that RV park in Sedona and loved it. You can start some great hikes from the park. Tank a day and see the sights along the way to Jerome, ruins, old towns and mines. We hikes everyday and still didn't hit all we had hoped to see in 100 miles of hiking.
ProTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:52 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Mountain Directory

Nothing to add on sites, but from one flatlander to another pulling a big load with a half ton, look into the Mountain Directory. Never be surprised about an upcoming pass, and avoid them when you choose with alternate routes. Best $18 you’ll ever spend. Safe travels.
Johndews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:35 PM   #13
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Just that if there are places you can reserve ahead of time, please do, as you don't want to drive all that way to find No Room At The Inn. Moab gets very crowded during the high season, which is basically now through the end of October. The campground in Arches NP is reservable and typically fills up months in advance. Canyonlands has a couple of very small campgrounds that fill up early and are unsuitable for a 28' trailer.

Moab has several nice RV parks, so you might reserve at one of them and then take off for the day in your TV. Nearby, Dead Horse Point State Park is well worth seeing for the view. There is a small CG there that takes revs. Just outside the park the BLM runs a bigger "primitive" campground called Horse Thief. (Meaning no hookups, or even water on-site: picnic tables, pit toilets, and fire pits) but it is conveniently located. Dispersed camping (true boondocking) is allowed in many places around Moab, but you might want to check with the BLM or Moab information center first as to where these places are and what are the road conditions going in.

I would suggest also that you check on reservations in or near the South Rim. This is one park that everyone wants to visit.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:23 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
We travel most often with few, if any reservations, for 3-4 months (May-Sept.). Summer of 2016, we had planned to spend the summer in Colorado but plans changed and only spent 3 weeks in CO. Really enjoyed Durango, Mesa Verde NP and Black Canyon of Gunnison. Please fill your fresh water tank prior to arrival at Black Canyon of Gunnison as limited water at park. They actually bring water into park via tank truck.

Had previously visited Zion, Bryce, Snow Canyon, Kodachrome, Escalante Grand Staircase but ran out of time for Arches & Canyonlands. As we were passing thru S. Utah in 2016.... stopped at Moab for three nights despite excessive early June heat wave. Stayed at KOA (we're not KOA fans) for convenient location, full hookups and small pool. Dawn temps 85° with peak temp 102-105°. So we kept air conditioning running, visited parks early for hikes, air conditioned visitor centers in afternoon and then cocktails by the pool in afternoon.

New Mexico- stayed in a National Forest CG only 3 miles or so from Sante Fe but limited sites for your size rig but would still recommend as you cannot beat location for Sante Fe visit. Since we have family in White Rock, NM, we traveled to visitor center for Bandolier NP. All visitors must park at visitor center and shuttle to Bandolier. However, there is great easy camping right at the visitor center with kiosk check-in...$20/night for electric hookup. Water available and dump in the parking lot. While not a typical campground with table and fire pit, free wifi at visitor center, quiet location after 8 pm, nice local grocery store across the street. So you can visit Bandolier NP and only steps away from shuttle stop. And fantastic Science Museum in town is a must see. Ask locals for directions to "Gabriel's " for the absolute best NM food!

Oh, and noted you are a flat lander....suggest not taking your trailer on Million Dollar Highway! Ask me how I know!
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:24 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
FCloud9,

Have you driven on Going to the Sun Road in Glacier NP (with many RV restrictions)? If so, how does it compare to the Million dollar road from Silverton to Ouray, CO?

Thanks for the write up, very much appreciated.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:53 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Rzrbrn,
No we have not yet visited Glacier NP. It was on our itinerary many years ago during our first Yellowstone/Grand Teton visit during our tenting days but heavy snow in August closed access roads.
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:51 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Vero Beach , Florida
Driving concerns for this area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayseejay View Post
Consider Capital Reef NP, and specifically the Fruita Campground there. Last year, we did many of the parks you referenced, and CR was among our favorites. Joe
I am following this and older threads on Utah because we are going there this fall for the first time. This will be only our second trip out and first one west pulling a trailer. I have guide books and plenty of info on these threads for destinations, but I'm more concerned with the road grades to get to some of them.

I have the Mountain Directory app so I can see their documented steep grades and other warnings. I am planning to avoid Rt 12 from Bryce east to Torrey with the trailer. I am also not going to deal with Rt 9 east of Zion (the tunnel etc.). I do plan to drive the F-250 on these roads after the Airstream is safely nestled in a camping spot.

If I go to Bryce, HWY 24 between Burrville and Loa have a 2 mile 8% grade westbound (my intended direction). This seems to be one of the milder warnings (and best option) for roads going west from Bryce toward Zion. Is that an issue or not?

We have 28' International and F-250 gas - both bought last year.

Is there a % grade or grade + distance, that you experienced RVers see and say that is where you draw the line?

Is there a recommended route from Bryce to Zion?

Any concerns going to Capital Reef from either direction?

If not are there other roads that you would avoid besides the ones I mention? or recommended routes? I know that is a broad question.

I am attaching a screen shot of our planned route that is a little messy due to avoiding highways 12 and 9 as said above, but the resulting distances aren't bad.

Thanks ahead for any and all replies!

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tentative 2018 Utah Trip.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	188.7 KB
ID:	310667   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cap Reef to Zion.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	310668  

WorkBGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:56 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Draper , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayseejay View Post
While lacking many of the "in your face" features of Arches, Canyonlands, Bryce and Zion, Capitol Reef is our favorite park in the state.

FYI, the Capitol Reef NP Campground now accepts reservations. It used to be first come first serve. There are also a couple of RV parks in Torrey, Ut. There are a couple of boondocking sites just to the west of the park as well. They used to be rather "secluded". Our last two trips they have been "full" to "overflowing" each night.
ShullsinUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:16 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Draper , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
If you have the time take the Durango Silverton Train ride.
The Alpen Rose Rv park is a nice place to stay in Durango.
I'll preface this post by saying that we have a kid that's Crazy about trains. We've chased them all over the country....

Not bad advice. There is also a lesser know and frankly more authentic experience down the road in Chama, NM. The Cumbres and Toltec train There is a RV park just north of town where we've stayed and it's more that adequate.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:52 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Draper , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkBGone View Post
I have the Mountain Directory app so I can see their documented steep grades and other warnings. I am planning to avoid Rt 12 from Bryce east to Torrey with the trailer. I am also not going to deal with Rt 9 east of Zion (the tunnel etc.). I do plan to drive the F-250 on these roads after the Airstream is safely nestled in a camping spot.

Is there a recommended route from Bryce to Zion?

Any concerns going to Capital Reef from either direction?

If not are there other roads that you would avoid besides the ones I mention? or recommended routes? I know that is a broad question.

I am attaching a screen shot of our planned route that is a little messy due to avoiding highways 12 and 9 as said above, but the resulting distances aren't bad.

Thanks ahead for any and all replies!
Bill,

If you DON'T drive Highway 12 from Torrey to Escalante, your are missing THE MOST scenic road in the state. (with the possible exception of Highway 9 and the Eastern entrance into Zion NP.)

https://scenicbyway12.com/wp-content...oute_guide.pdf

I've towed our 25' Safari fully loaded over this road more than once in both directions with our F150. Yes, there are some long, steep sections to this highway. It also goes up in excess of 9,000' in elevation. However, you should be just fine if you follow good towing practices, don't use excessive speed and use your head. There are numerous pulloff's along the way and if you are worried simply stop and cool your brakes for a while. There are tons of trailers that make that drive every day.

And you'll also be fine through the Zion tunnel. Given the miles you'd have to add to avoid it, paying the access fee is will worth the $25. By detouring through Kanab (a cute quirkly little town), you'd add roughly 80 miles and over a hour to your trip. We've pulled our trailer through the tunnel with no issues. When you buy the tunnel pass, they shut the tunnel down for you and you're the only vehicle on the road. Plus there is something about coming out of the tunnel and laying eyes on Zion Canyon for the first time from that direction. It is simply spectacular and an experience you won't get coming from the other direction.

The other alternate routes from Bryce to Zion are going up to highway 20 north of Panguitch and down I-15 or up and over Highway 14 or Hwy143/14 to Cedar City. I've also towed on both of these roads and Hwy 20 is the easier of the two drives. While I don't know the elevation, Highway 14 gets up over 9,000' as well. But it's a beautiful drive.

So, my personal opinion, is that you would be fine on either of those roads. But, I appreciate your cautious approach. I post this to open a dialogue and some real world experience on what to expect while you are here, not to dissuade you either way. There are roads in this state that I would not consider towing on. But these don't fall into that category.

Good luck and enjoy the state while you're here.