Old 07-27-2015, 06:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
S.C. Coast camping recommendations

Ok, my wife wants to head to the coast for our very first camping trip with our basically nothing but silver tent with AC. We do have electrical and are anxious to try her out so any suggestions for a couple of rookies from Greenville, SC for a trip to the coast would be great! Thanks.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:19 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lincolnton , North Carolina
Edisto Beach SP, Huntington Beach SP or, if you want the "Redneck Riviera" with full hookups, try Ocean Lakes!

Warren Smathers

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Old 07-27-2015, 06:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
OK, guess I need to add some more info after looking at Ocean Lakes. Side by side parking lot is not what I'm looking for. Maybe the coast won't work at all so I'm open. Just want a nice low key quiet few days and nights. Electric hookup is important for the AC though, it's been hot here.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:55 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
2011 30' International
mooresburg , Tennessee
huntington beach state park. very nice. electric and water sites in the 100's your in the trees and very private.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:56 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
Sending you a PM. I am in Greenville and will be willing to help with questions if you like.
Rick in Powdersville
Old 07-28-2015, 04:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Rick in Powdersville,

Never received your PM?

Mike
Old 07-28-2015, 06:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My concern is that at this time of the year you may have trouble finding a campsite in a coastal campground......maybe easier during the week than on a weekend.

You have lots of good recommendations here.....and Edisto, the beach campground, is my favorite. Finding open sites right now may be the issue, and I believe Edisto requires one week stays this time of year.

Also, in addition to likely availability, one of the state parks more inland or those in Francis Marion National Forest north of Charleston might be more suitable to you.

Have a great time!

Maggie
Old 07-28-2015, 07:57 AM   #8
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
If CHS isn't available consider Santee St. Pk. CHS is about an hour or so away but this puts you on a lakefront SP in SC. North of I26 off of I95.

It likely will be busy neighbors might have a boat trailer nearby, sites are in the trees. Sites IIRC are gravel hard packed.
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
My concern also

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
My concern is that at this time of the year you may have trouble finding a campsite in a coastal campground......maybe easier during the week than on a weekend.

You have lots of good recommendations here.....and Edisto, the beach campground, is my favorite. Finding open sites right now may be the issue, and I believe Edisto requires one week stays this time of year.

Also, in addition to likely availability, one of the state parks more inland or those in Francis Marion National Forest north of Charleston might be more suitable to you.

Have a great time!

Maggie

Thanks!
We do have the luxury of going pretty much when we want since we are retired, so I'm thinking of putting the beach of until school starts. Will look at something nice a bit closer to home which is my preference since it will be our 1st time in our partially renovated trailer.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:26 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Great tip.

[QUOTE=GCinSC2;1659539]If CHS isn't available consider Santee St. Pk. CHS is about an hour or so away but this puts you on a lakefront SP in SC. North of I26 off of I95.

Thanks!

It likely will be busy neighbors might have a boat trailer nearby, sites are in the trees. Sites IIRC are gravel hard packed.[/QUOTE

Really my wife just wants to be near water if not the ocean. So a nice lake or river campground should work
Old 07-28-2015, 12:26 PM   #11

1978 31' Sovereign
Danville , Indiana
The state park has a really nice campground oceanfront. It's a little north of Ocean Lakes, but on the south end of Myrtle Beach.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:48 PM   #12
Airstream Newby

1975 25' Tradewind
Florence , South Carolina
We head to the beach as often as we can (starting in Florence, many are only an hour away). In the MB are, Myrtle Beach State Park is great, very shaded, and have a good number of full hookups. Huntington is another nice one that many rave about. Personally I like MB SP better, but there is nothing wrong with Huntington. For a more commercial place, we go to LakeWood instead of ocean lakes. It is a little quieter and has a more family friendly atmosphere, I think. They also have a great ministry and tie that into the events tha they have throughout the summer.
Headed toward Charleston, James Island County Park is incredible. I have only stayed there once, and it was during a tropical storm, but I cannot wait to get back there.
Finally, my absolute favorite SC coast campground is Hunting Island off the coast of Beaufort. There are a few sites that are on the beach, but most are not. If you can get a beachfront one, do it!
We have a 1976 26' Tradewind and have not had any problem getting in/out of any of these.
I am actually writing this sitting in my camper in your neck of the woods. Overlooking Hartwell Lake at the Twin Lakes campground near Clemson.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:40 PM   #13

Charleston , South Carolina
Hunting Island

We live in Charleston and have set up camp at Hunting Island State Park several times. You can set your camper as very close to, if not on, the beach. There's an old lighthouse on the island (open to the public for a small fee) and Beaufort is historic, beautiful and close by. I highly recommend it.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:42 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Nebo , North Carolina
Try Bald Mountain in Hiawassee or Oconee State Park. Both are close to you.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums