Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2018, 12:35 PM   #1
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
RV Site Sanitation

I've been thinking about the issues of cross contamination at the hookups. For many years I was in the food business and learned how easy cross contamination can happen. Researching the topic of tanks and sewer connections, dump stations etc. I realized that it wouldn't take much for the fresh water spigot to become contaminated what with people draining and flushing their tanks. Lots of people do it different ways and we have no control over that, the previous user could have used the fresh water with contaminated gloves or hands. They could have slopped sewage into the grass and you might unknowingly drag your potable hose thru it. I heard people fill their fresh water at the dump station, I just don't want to do that. So has this been a topic for discussion? I didn't really turn anything up on Google. Do a lot of you sanitize the fresh water spigot before hooking up? Maybe it's a non issue but one of the reasons we want to RV is to avoid sanitation/bug issues at hotels and I don't believe you can be too careful. If you have ever had Montezuma's Revenge you know what I am talking about.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:46 PM   #2
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
I've been thinking about the issues of cross contamination at the hookups. For many years I was in the food business and learned how easy cross contamination can happen. Researching the topic of tanks and sewer connections, dump stations etc. I realized that it wouldn't take much for the fresh water spigot to become contaminated what with people draining and flushing their tanks. Lots of people do it different ways and we have no control over that, the previous user could have used the fresh water with contaminated gloves or hands. They could have slopped sewage into the grass and you might unknowingly drag your potable hose thru it. I heard people fill their fresh water at the dump station, I just don't want to do that. So has this been a topic for discussion? I didn't really turn anything up on Google. Do a lot of you sanitize the fresh water spigot before hooking up? Maybe it's a non issue but one of the reasons we want to RV is to avoid sanitation/bug issues at hotels and I don't believe you can be too careful. If you have ever had Montezuma's Revenge you know what I am talking about.
To be honest I've never thought of the issue of cross contamination. But, like you mentioned, it could easily happen.

Anxious to see how others have handled this issue, if at all.

Thanks!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 12:46 PM   #3
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
I carry a small spray bottle of bleach solution that I use on hoses and spigots sometimes. Probably not ideal but gives me some piece of mind.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Yes, Brian, cross-contamination is a real risk IMO.

What we do in brief:

-- do not fill water tank from the hose bib at the dump station
-- let hose bib at campsite run water onto the ground discreetly, before hooking up hose
-- wipe hose bib with dilute bleach solution before hooking up
-- run water again briefly
-- use Camco or equivalent inline hose filter and potable water hose [new for each season -- rinsed thoroughly first]
-- when leaving a campsite rinse off hoses and store carefully in storage area/container dedicated to hoses/cords

If you approach all the campsite tasks from a food-handling perspective, you will probably end up over-thinking it all . . . sorry to say!

As in the rest of life, a state of balance and repose is the goal.

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 01:26 PM   #5
"Hey, I know you!"

Chapin , South Carolina
I worked in commercial nuclear power for 28 years and it can give you a very heightened sense for cross contamination. Touch a radioactively contaminated item and then touch something else – now they’re both contaminated (crapped up in nuke speak). If you didn’t realize it when you did it, you’ll find out when you go to exit through the monitors or try to get your tools/equipment out. That said, I don’t think that you can be too cautious about camp site conditions. I’ve heard of people using the water bibs to flush out their sewer hoses and I’ve seen a dog lift his leg on one also. I think a spray bottle of Clorox water and some wipes are a good thing to pack. Some people are sloppy, and then there are others that just don’t care.
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 01:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
The spigots at the dump stations are label non-potable.

My routine: Disinfect our fresh water tanks and lines at the beginning of each season. Water hoses and filter are handled carefully and carried with hose ends connected together. I route the hoses away from obvious sources of contamination, like the dump valve.

It's worked so far.
Old 05-06-2018, 01:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Just be aware that bleach solution starts degrading as soon as you mix it. You need new solution every few days in order for it to be truly effective. Might be better off with Clorox wipes.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 02:06 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Raleigh , NC
All good suggestions, I also add bleach to the tank each time I fill it per CDC guidelines:

CDC recommends 1 tsp bleach per 8 gallons water.

Note that this is much less than the amount you would use to sanitize at the beginning of the season, and you can’t taste it, but it still kills any bugs. EPA has a similar guideline but half as much bleach, so 1 tsp per 16 gallons.
JoeHTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 02:43 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
If I was concerned about a spigot, I'd flame it.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Dam over thinking everything. Lol. We have been RVing since early 1970’s have not had a problem so far that we know of. Yes start of each traveling season flush tanks and drinking hoses. I have green hose for gray and black water flushing and white hose for drinking. The two never touch. Gloves for drinking hose and gold gloves for gray and black water stuff. Never use dump station water except for gray and black water. Yes we seen RV ers use dump station water for drinking water fill. Bad bad. When AS is stored each tank has good water and bleach mixture.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:19 PM   #11
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
I think you have to use a bit of common sense about these things. I don’t fill any tanks while at a dump station. I keep my water hoses connected end to end when not in use. Sewer hoses are kept separate from water hoses. Clorox is a good thing to use often and almost everywhere. If you are really concerned about cross contamination you would be totally grossed out by grocery store carts, door handles anywhere, paper money, those hot air blowers in public restrooms are disgusting and I have no idea why they are still in use...handrails on the subway, buttons in an elevator. Germs are everywhere, really gross, mean, nasty germs are all around us. I just try to be sensible and wash my hands constantly. Retired RN

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 04:03 PM   #12
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Disposable gloves go a long way.

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 06:06 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Most potable hydrants at dump stations are separated by several feet, yards. Most will be labeled and different color.

Note if your trailer has a double check valve tank wash down your hose is well protected. (Vacum breaker and check) from your tank. Unless you cross contaminated it before.

Note wash hands or remove gloves before working the potable line. If you handled sewer first.

Food service yes, plumbing and codes yes, but I've seen and survived all kinds of situations in 30+ years of building construction. You will likely live fine.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 06:49 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
Disposables

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiel View Post
In general we don't like to generate trash, don't use a lot of plastic bags, plastic wrap, etc but I'm a firm believer in disposable gloves. I hook up power and water with fresh gloves and purge the hose bib, hook up my hose and purge it, hook up the filter and purge it, with the last piece of hose, then move to the sewer hose. I carry utility work gloves for other routine stuff: toad hookup, carpet, etc. We have not had any problems, including any bad effects from our Airstream pot-lucks with up to 70 attendees!
Old 05-06-2018, 06:51 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraYacht View Post
. . .
. . . We have not had any problems, including any bad effects from our Airstream pot-lucks with up to 70 attendees!
We have always wondered about this wild card in the deck!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:35 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
One of the biggest potential cross contamination issues was built into Airstreams when they introduced the black water tank flushing connection. Great idea but they placed the connection directly over the city fresh water connection.
In a thread I started about what I would like to see on new Airstreams, I mentioned the issue about putting the fresh water inlet over the black tank flushing inlet since many dump stations provide a non potable hose to connect. The "bad water" would then spill onto the fresh water connection. A rep was reading the thread and made a few comments. Then as usual with a many threads here, it went south with negativity and the rep disappeared.
Then in I think with the 2016 models the inlets were switched. I think I would have gotten a thank you from Airstream, but I'm sure the liability lawyers advised not to acknowledge the previous poor design.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:43 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
While it's convenient to have sewer at the site, I sometimes feel a bit better when it's not available. At least it can help minimize the potential of cross-contamination for the unsuspecting.

As others have described above, I do nothing remotely related to drinking water/fresh water when at the dump station - that is solely for tank emptying.
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:48 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
BTW, great suggestions here about sanitizing the water connection. I also hate to see the sewer connection so close to the fresh water and power pedestal at site with full hook ups.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:49 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiel View Post
Like your mama always said wash your hands.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:19 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' International CCD
Spring , Texas
The only reason I can see for filling your fresh water tank at a dump station is being lazy or not to bright. Wash your hands a lot or use sanitizing hand cleaner. Disposable gloves do go a long way.
eleighj is offline   Reply With Quote