Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2015, 06:29 AM   #61
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Was only almost refused a site once. On the Fl panhandle at a campground I was at first told I couldn't stay until an employee who had been looking at my rig came inside and winked at the clerk as if to say okay. We were led by golf cart to the rear of the campground past several nice sites to a site next to the sewer pump house. I asked why here and he said that was the only one he could give us. I followed the cart back to the office and kept on going, hadn't paid yet. Oh, this was in 06 I think and we still had the Interstate. Back then they were still looked down on because they were considered a conversion van. Oh yea, Protagonist there really is no dif between snobbery and elitism, because the perception and result of the action is the same. One muspt look at the intent of the words, not just the meaning. Peace,jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:15 AM   #62
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Longview , Texas
Seems to me that if the park owner chooses not to rent to someone that is totally their privilege. The government has their nose in way too much of our business anyway. How would you like it if you spent hundreds of thousands building a nice rv park and you had to rent to whomever pulled in, complete with leaking sewer hoses, dripping water, wind torn awning pulled out and on and on. I have seen this too often in parks and then i get to choose to drive on, which i do. Like has been said, you let the camel get his nose in the tent the next thing the whole camel is in the tent.
Wayne Clamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:44 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
I've seen a fair amount of that over the years, especially RV parks that are Class A Motor Homes only. Most of the Class A Only restricted parks are individually owned lots (condo) and deed restricted to keep up appearances and protect property values. In Las Vegas I witnessed a camper pull into "Outdoor Resorts Motorcoach Resort" in a Super C, brand new diesel almost 40ft, full body paint just a gorgeous piece of equipment get turned away because it was not a Class A. Shook my head on that one!
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:04 AM   #64
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
I've heard of these restrictions and they seem to mostly apply to the upscale resorts and long term snowbird parks. Such places will also have restrictions on the size, breed and number of dogs you have but that is another topic.

In the eleven years I've owned my 1979 AS I have stayed at parks with RV age restrictions twice. Oddly enough when booking my reservations, neither place asked the age, just the length and type of rig. I didn't even mention it was an Airstream. Both times when I showed up the person at the check-in desk said something like, "Ooh nice looking Airstream." No question about what year it was and they let me in. Note that on both occasions we were staying in popular tourist areas with other parks to choose from, so there were plenty of options if they hadn't let me in.

Overall I think vintage Airstreams, in good condition, are welcome almost anywhere.

Its a camper, therefore it leaks.
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:40 PM   #65
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Navarre , Florida
Heres the bottom line up front: Dont stay at Alton RV park in Galloway, OH.

I was just turned away from my first place today. I have been traveling for several months now, over 24 states and well over 50+ RV parks. As I wrap up my trip I was excited to head home to Columbus, Ohio after having left there 6 years ago when I began my military service. The plan was to stay in the A/S for the first few months (august - october) while I job search and finish up the final semester of my masters degree.

I placed my 2nd call in a week to Alton RV park because they did not follow up with the first phone call. When I told them I had a 1975 they responded "absolutely not" so I suggested that I send them an email (which i already had drafted and ready to hit send) with pictures of my Airstream before they made a decision. That didn't matter either. When I tried to connect on a more personal level and tell them I was trying to move back to Columbus after being overseas in the military for 6 years and I wanted to stay in the A/S until I had found a new career and house - they cut me off and said "dont care. it has to be 1995 or newer because older ones look like crap." My final attempt to persuade the lady on the other end by saying "Airstreams have looked the same for over a half century and you wouldnt even be able to tell the difference" didnt work either.

For a place that is located less than 2 hours away from Jackson Center they were unbelievably not understanding of the airstream brand.
Rsmied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 05:05 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Some RV parks with age restrictions at least look at the rig and then decide. All of them I have dealt with let old Airstreams in. Even with the 10 years old requirement, they had full-timers living permanently in their park in 60's and 70's Airstreams. That park you mentioned is unreasonable and I will be sure to never stay there.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:37 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I had a 1994 mobile home trailer I moved into a park with a 10 years old age restriction. After showing the manager photos, she let me in. It had just been power washed. When the movers brought the trailer, the neighbors thought it was brand new.
I went that route because the trailer was paid for free and clear, I was debt free, and did not want to go into debt. Every bill in that house- lights, satellite TV, lot rent, internet, lot rent, insurance, and property tax averaged just over $300 month. Many years of inexpensive living. I bought the trailer from my sister for $13,000, lived in it 10 years, and sold it for $13,000. The person who bought the trailer bought my metal carport and shed for another $1,000. There is no less expensive way to live.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:03 AM   #68
2 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Colville , Washington
Rsmied,

Thanks for your service to the country !

I'm like you, the state of Ohio (you'd think) should have more respect for such a legendary product, built in their state, and above all, a vet !

Danny
Danny Bell is offline   Reply With Quote