Old 03-17-2015, 01:22 PM   #29
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle & Bear View Post
This practice is probably illegal but I am not sure who would take the issue to the folks at SCOTUS.
Surprisingly, no, it isn't. Provided the proprietors live on the premises, they can restrict anybody they want, by any rules they want. Legally.

It's the same principle as Equal Housing Opportunity laws. If you are a landlord and you advertise a vacancy, you have to accept any tenant who can pass a basic financial background check to show that he can afford the rent and a criminal background check to show he's not a wanted criminal, without any other discrimination.

EXCEPT if you also live on the property. You are allowed to pick and choose who you will share your domicile property with, and can establish whatever rules you want in order to screen out undesirable tenants. Even if those rules are otherwise discriminatory. But the key here is "your domicile property." Legally you can only have one domicile.

Applying the principle to campgrounds, as long as the proprietor resides at the campground full-time, he can legally set discriminatory rules to pick and choose who he shares the campground with. Note however, this does not apply to camp hosts who are themselves tenants.

I'm sure there are other legal loopholes as well; this is just one of the loopholes I know of from back in the days when my father was a landlord.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 01:41 PM   #30
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
This may be a dumb question...and it really is not rhetorical but an honest one...

What does such a rule do to help a business?
It provides an objective means that can be enforced by the campground host or office employees for excluding several groups of problematic travelers, chief among them:

1) people with RVs with leaking or partially functioning or non-functioning cooking, plumbing, and sanitation systems, who then rely upon (or in some cases misuse) park facilities. This is especially problematic at full-hookup parks that don't accept tent campers, because they may not have bathhouse facilities at all. Or you get people trying to do dishes in the sink in the bathhouse.

2) RVers who have a renovation or conversion in process on the rig they're living in. Which is fine if they're fairly far along and are responsible about it, but I've heard of people using circular saws and other noisy equipment early in the morning or late at night, and burning or filling up the dumpsters with construction debris.

3) People in financially desperate situations who impose undue burdens on neighboring campers and park management as they seek to accomplish the impossible: unsupervised children and pets, personal belongings of doubtful value and utility strewn around the campsite, noise, unable to pay for campsite or services, theft

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Yes, truck campers are considered by some to be at the shallow end of the RV gene pool.
The not uncommon situation of an offloaded truck camper with a collapsed jack is a huge headache for RV parks when it happens.

On the other hand, I have a 40 year old truck camper and have never been turned away.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:55 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
It is about branding and image. I don't want to stay at a trailer park with a bunch tree sap covered rusty old trailers with duct taped windows or old motorhomes with smoky exhaust.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 01:58 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Stratford , Prince Edward Island
Send a message via Yahoo to macofpei Send a message via Skype™ to macofpei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle & Bear View Post

About five years ago an RV park in Las Vegas (Wagon Wheel) turned us down because the owner did not like Airstreamers. Said we were just too snobbish.
Well, I use yellow mustard, on my hot dog, not that funny colored mustard :-)
WBCCI #4782
"Southern Belle"
'03 Classic 30'
'10 Toyota CrewMax
macofpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 02:06 PM   #33

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by macofpei View Post
Well, I use yellow mustard, on my hot dog, not that funny colored mustard :-)
I'm with you on that one, 100%! If I wanted to Grey Poupon on my hot dog, I'd pick up a dog turd and have gray poop on my hot dog! But I sure as heck wouldn't eat it!
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 03-17-2015, 06:51 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
...and I wear clothes from Walmart...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:31 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , USA
Nothing I hate more than snobs. Absolutely HATE snobs.

That's one of the worst things about owning an Airstream...there are a BUNCH of them...

...so much so that lots of times they overshadow the normal owners who don't care to be "better" than others.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:36 PM   #36

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by RareStream View Post
Nothing I hate more than snobs. Absolutely HATE snobs.

That's one of the worst things about owning an Airstream...there are a BUNCH of them...

...so much so that lots of times they overshadow the normal owners who don't care to be "better" than others.
Snobs think they're better than everybody else. But I'd like to think I'm a better man than that!
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 03-17-2015, 07:44 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

We were told that people with Airstreams were snobbs - luckily we never got around to sticking our numbers on, so it somehow convinced the owner we were OK since we weren't "official".

Procrastination wins again!
Old 03-17-2015, 08:33 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
The Woodlands , Texas
This happen to me when I was passing thru Denver, Co. I booked at a "resort" RV park on line. I received an email stating that my trailer was to old and my dog could be a liability to the park.
I called and explained that my German shepherd was a service dog and my 83 Airstream was heading to a rally in WY where I would be entered in a competition for vintage trailers. After a few photos and additional paperwork I was permitted to stay the night. I understand and do not blame the employees for the rules they follow. As long as exceptions can be made.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:42 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member

We encountered this in Heber City Utah, with our 1955. I had to laugh, they asked for a picture before they would let us book. We passed the pic test.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 03-17-2015, 10:48 PM   #40
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Nothing like a big wave and a call out from your truck window... "Beautiful camper/ truck you have there!... been traveling long? How far have you been?..etc"

Then reply.. "wow.. that is kewl... happy for you! well done!".. etc..

Kills the 'snob' value.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:53 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Colville , Washington
So far...We have not experienced any snobs at RV parks ! I hope that day never comes ! Last fall, we stayed at the Wine Country RV park for (4) days in S.E. Washington. We were quail/pheasant hunting with friends who live in those parts. The park was very nice but not lavish. They did offer free wine tasting and hors d'oeuvres every night for an hour. A very nice touch !!!

We prefer to stay on one of the ends close to the dog walking areas as we have (2) labs & (2) brittanys. At night they stay in their porta-kennels in the back of the truck that has a shell. Each trailer spot has it's own large grass lawn with shade trees that separate each trailer spot. The park is use too accommodating hunters.

When coming in from hunting, we leash the dogs to the provided picnic table so they can stretch out and relax. The only issue (if you can call it that) was when the lady manager of the park walked by carrying her toy poodle. All (4) of our dogs started barking ! I thought, OH S***, we are gonna get tossed out of here ! I quieted our dogs immediately ! The lady manager smiled and said, "my husband is out hunting right now with our (2) labs !" Blood pressure went back to normal !

We happened to be neighbors with a Bambi on the left, and an Excella on the right. That night after the wine tasting I grilled some quail & pheasant. The lady manager and husband, along with 12 other campers showed up with food and grog. It turned into a quiet block party. Us three Airstreamers ended up giving trailer tours ! Guess where we will be staying this fall !

Danny
Old 03-18-2015, 07:14 AM   #42
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
We are currently at a park with the ten year rule, as well as others. Skirting cannot be pink or blue insulation board, for example. There are a number of permanent residents whose rigs are beginning to look really shabby, but they have been parked for years. Not the best impression for new arrivals. The owner, I believe, just bought the place a few years ago, and inherited some of this. He has made improvements, and is planning more. Because the rates are very reasonable, people with limited means love these kinds of places....

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Tom
TVKetchum

2008 Classic 30'
2013 F150 Ecoboost
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote