Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2015, 05:38 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Many TinCan Tourist members are finding restrictions. Remember that trailers other than silver kin from the fiftys and sixtys had limited facilities. Some if these restored doll houses have no waste tanks, limited electric and poor to no plumbing. These are basically tents on wheels. They are great to look at but are not even close to being self contained. Some of these are extremely small, again hard sided tents. Add that the owners are very inexperience campers. All of these contribute to the misconception of unsuitability for some campgrounds. Interesting because these units were how rving first started, a look at history. No one wants trash next to them, but just because it is old shouldn't preclude it from camping. Using a case by case decision would be more fair. Sorry for the rant, peace,Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:12 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
Over the years, we've stayed at a few of these "restricted" campgrounds although our preference is for more rustic dry camping. I always look at the campground rules before making reservations. If I see a "10-year or newer" rule, when I make my reservations I let them know that I have a 25' Airstream. Even though mine is now 14 years old they assume (correctly) that it's well maintained because I'm an Airstream owner. Consequently, I've never had a problem at these types of campgrounds. Their rules often say, "10-years or newer, or in good condition." I've found the other campers in their Prevost and high-dollar rigs are very friendly and interested in our rig.

The business plan for these types of RV resorts is to provide a place that's attractive for the big spenders. It's the same concept as a gated home community. The gate provides a "strainer" to filter out those deemed less worthy. Another example is a private country club...the dues create a barrier to entry for those of lower income.

The first time I encountered this, I was as offended. No one wants to be excluded because of the age of their rig. Now, I always look to see what other options exist before staying at one of these types of places. The best revenge is to spend your money elsewhere.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:39 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
hellertown , Pennsylvania
If you are at one of those camp grounds and you are parked next to a 40` moter home i would in no way use as much energy as the large motor home. They have two AC large water supplies 50 amp sevice, larger family and friends along for the ride. large fridge, oodles of food supplies, they won`t shop at camp store. Their AC makes more noise then a generator. Did i mention i pay the same as they do. Whats their beef. Carl
carlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:25 AM   #24
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Don't recall the name of the park but it was in Oregon near Portland where they did not allow 10 year or older trailers.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:27 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
We stay at an RV park with the 10 years old restriction, but it is not enforced. If the rig is clean and pretty they let it in even if it is 50 years old. That restriction is an attempt to prevent dirty old ragged trailers from entering their park.
I lived in a mobile home park with that restriction. They were trying to prevent old, broken down, rusty house trailers from moving in. My trailer was more than 10 years old, but after seeing pictures of it they allowed me to park it there. When the movers brought it in, the neighbors thought it was brand new. I had just power washed it a few months prior. It still looked nice and clean when I sold it.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:13 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
It is my impression that the 10 year restriction is to keep the impoverished, druggies, drunks, etc. and their dilapidated trucks and trailers out. This practice is probably illegal but I am not sure who would take the issue to the folks at SCOTUS.

We have been full timing since 2007 and have run into this restriction twice. The first time the RV park would not accept our reservation because our trailer is more than 10 years old. She made up something about the electrical system not being up to current standards and would not budge on the matter. The second time occurred at a park in Ventura, California. We were told that they would not accept a trailer more than 10 years old. Undaunted, my wife drove our newly polished 37 year old 29' Airstream into their registration area. Once they saw the classic dimpled reflection of their office on the side of our Ambassador they immediately accepted our money.

About five years ago an RV park in Las Vegas (Wagon Wheel) turned us down because the owner did not like Airstreamers. Said we were just too snobbish.
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:34 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle & Bear View Post
About five years ago an RV park in Las Vegas (Wagon Wheel) turned us down because the owner did not like Airstreamers. Said we were just too snobbish.
I love it! I've heard that too on rare occasion but have never met an Airstreamer I didn't like. In fact, I've rarely met an SOB'er that I didn't like as well.

Just goes to show that there are different strokes for different folks.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:47 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I thought of the gated community analogy but it fails because anyone can get in if you have the dough - even the Clampits.

In this case you can present the dough with your older trailer and possibly get turned down.

My experience so far with campgrounds is without such restrictions and never have I felt a prominence of unwelcome folks - druggies - etc....this is I suspect a largely imagined construct....otherwise my family travels so far would be littered with "undesirables".

Airstreamers are too snobby?! Def not the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 12:22 PM   #29
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
This practice is probably illegal but I am not sure who would take the issue to the folks at SCOTUS.
Surprisingly, no, it isn't. Provided the proprietors live on the premises, they can restrict anybody they want, by any rules they want. Legally.

It's the same principle as Equal Housing Opportunity laws. If you are a landlord and you advertise a vacancy, you have to accept any tenant who can pass a basic financial background check to show that he can afford the rent and a criminal background check to show he's not a wanted criminal, without any other discrimination.

EXCEPT if you also live on the property. You are allowed to pick and choose who you will share your domicile property with, and can establish whatever rules you want in order to screen out undesirable tenants. Even if those rules are otherwise discriminatory. But the key here is "your domicile property." Legally you can only have one domicile.

Applying the principle to campgrounds, as long as the proprietor resides at the campground full-time, he can legally set discriminatory rules to pick and choose who he shares the campground with. Note however, this does not apply to camp hosts who are themselves tenants.

I'm sure there are other legal loopholes as well; this is just one of the loopholes I know of from back in the days when my father was a landlord.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:41 PM   #30
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
This may be a dumb question...and it really is not rhetorical but an honest one...

What does such a rule do to help a business?
It provides an objective means that can be enforced by the campground host or office employees for excluding several groups of problematic travelers, chief among them:

1) people with RVs with leaking or partially functioning or non-functioning cooking, plumbing, and sanitation systems, who then rely upon (or in some cases misuse) park facilities. This is especially problematic at full-hookup parks that don't accept tent campers, because they may not have bathhouse facilities at all. Or you get people trying to do dishes in the sink in the bathhouse.

2) RVers who have a renovation or conversion in process on the rig they're living in. Which is fine if they're fairly far along and are responsible about it, but I've heard of people using circular saws and other noisy equipment early in the morning or late at night, and burning or filling up the dumpsters with construction debris.

3) People in financially desperate situations who impose undue burdens on neighboring campers and park management as they seek to accomplish the impossible: unsupervised children and pets, personal belongings of doubtful value and utility strewn around the campsite, noise, unable to pay for campsite or services, theft

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Yes, truck campers are considered by some to be at the shallow end of the RV gene pool.
The not uncommon situation of an offloaded truck camper with a collapsed jack is a huge headache for RV parks when it happens.

On the other hand, I have a 40 year old truck camper and have never been turned away.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:55 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
It is about branding and image. I don't want to stay at a trailer park with a bunch tree sap covered rusty old trailers with duct taped windows or old motorhomes with smoky exhaust.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 03-17-2015, 12:58 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Stratford , Prince Edward Island
Send a message via Yahoo to macofpei Send a message via Skype™ to macofpei
Quote:

Well, I use yellow mustard, on my hot dog, not that funny colored mustard :-)
WBCCI #4782
"Southern Belle"
'03 Classic 30'
'10 Toyota CrewMax
macofpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 01:06 PM   #33

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by macofpei View Post
Well, I use yellow mustard, on my hot dog, not that funny colored mustard :-)
I'm with you on that one, 100%! If I wanted to Grey Poupon on my hot dog, I'd pick up a dog turd and have gray poop on my hot dog! But I sure as heck wouldn't eat it!
Old 03-17-2015, 05:51 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
...and I wear clothes from Walmart...
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 03-17-2015, 06:31 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , USA
Nothing I hate more than snobs. Absolutely HATE snobs.

That's one of the worst things about owning an Airstream...there are a BUNCH of them...

...so much so that lots of times they overshadow the normal owners who don't care to be "better" than others.
RareStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:36 PM   #36

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by RareStream View Post
Nothing I hate more than snobs. Absolutely HATE snobs.

That's one of the worst things about owning an Airstream...there are a BUNCH of them...

...so much so that lots of times they overshadow the normal owners who don't care to be "better" than others.
Snobs think they're better than everybody else. But I'd like to think I'm a better man than that!
Old 03-17-2015, 06:44 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

We were told that people with Airstreams were snobbs - luckily we never got around to sticking our numbers on, so it somehow convinced the owner we were OK since we weren't "official".

Procrastination wins again!
mrfrank9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:33 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
The Woodlands , Texas
This happen to me when I was passing thru Denver, Co. I booked at a "resort" RV park on line. I received an email stating that my trailer was to old and my dog could be a liability to the park.
I called and explained that my German shepherd was a service dog and my 83 Airstream was heading to a rally in WY where I would be entered in a competition for vintage trailers. After a few photos and additional paperwork I was permitted to stay the night. I understand and do not blame the employees for the rules they follow. As long as exceptions can be made.
Air83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:42 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member

We encountered this in Heber City Utah, with our 1955. I had to laugh, they asked for a picture before they would let us book. We passed the pic test.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
toma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:48 PM   #40
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Nothing like a big wave and a call out from your truck window... "Beautiful camper/ truck you have there!... been traveling long? How far have you been?..etc"

Then reply.. "wow.. that is kewl... happy for you! well done!".. etc..

Kills the 'snob' value.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote