Old 03-16-2015, 05:36 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
This may be a dumb question...and it really is not rhetorical but an honest one...

What does such a rule do to help a business?

It's a great question. Personal opinion here - it gives the RV park owner options AND might eliminate conflict before it starts (if people just say - well, forget THAT campground).

If you don't outright decline and your rig looks trashy or in disrepair, s/he has an option to prevent you from detracting from the experience of other campers and retain clientele by turning you away at the gate and you were forewarned. Of course - for clients who prefer a deeply lived in look, there must be sites to congregate as well and perhaps a park with restrictions on campers newer than 25 years would give that park options to attract and retain a target audience. Haven't seen one of those, though...

That way - if your rig is 50 years old an impeccably well maintained, you might be admitted to the 10 year or younger crowd at the discretion of the owner. And that's easier to communicate than - the park owner will determine your eligibility at time of arrival....

Mine is still 2 years old but if it looks this good at 11 and there's a restriction, I'd call first and send a picture. I wouldn't say it's younger than it is. If the discussion and picture aren't enough, there's another million places I can go. :-)

SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:44 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I'm cynical by nature. Working for the Federal Government for over 30 years will make anyone cynical!

First rule of cynicism is, no one ever does anything that doesn't bring them some personal benefit. The "what's in it for me?" philosophy, if you will.
"No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up." - Lily Tomlin

"Between what matters and what seems to matter, how should the world we know judge wisely?" - E.C. Bentley, Trent's Last Case
drboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:48 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
It hasn't been mentioned yet but there are also a few campgrounds that have length restrictions - they won't accept RVs under a certain length usually 21-22 feet.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:01 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
I think it all has to do with appearances and perception.
We have only been asked once and i ignored the question and said we had an Airstream.

Secondly, there are a LOT of mobile workers due to the boom in oil and construction jobs. The TT they may live in is simply a means to an end; in which case it might not be very pretty.
This has nothing to do with how they conduct themselves or what kind of people they might be.

The park we are staying at has mostly working families and ALL of them are nice people who keep their sites neat, don't make any noise or trouble.
They go where the work is.
99.9% occupancy rate and average lease rate over $1400/mo. dont help either.
mrfrank9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:43 PM   #19
Rivet Master
2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
There's also a number of Class A only parks. Birds of a feather....
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 01:36 AM   #20

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
And Airstream only parks.

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 05:38 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Many TinCan Tourist members are finding restrictions. Remember that trailers other than silver kin from the fiftys and sixtys had limited facilities. Some if these restored doll houses have no waste tanks, limited electric and poor to no plumbing. These are basically tents on wheels. They are great to look at but are not even close to being self contained. Some of these are extremely small, again hard sided tents. Add that the owners are very inexperience campers. All of these contribute to the misconception of unsuitability for some campgrounds. Interesting because these units were how rving first started, a look at history. No one wants trash next to them, but just because it is old shouldn't preclude it from camping. Using a case by case decision would be more fair. Sorry for the rant, peace,Jim
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:12 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member
2001 25' Safari
Fair Oaks , California
Over the years, we've stayed at a few of these "restricted" campgrounds although our preference is for more rustic dry camping. I always look at the campground rules before making reservations. If I see a "10-year or newer" rule, when I make my reservations I let them know that I have a 25' Airstream. Even though mine is now 14 years old they assume (correctly) that it's well maintained because I'm an Airstream owner. Consequently, I've never had a problem at these types of campgrounds. Their rules often say, "10-years or newer, or in good condition." I've found the other campers in their Prevost and high-dollar rigs are very friendly and interested in our rig.

The business plan for these types of RV resorts is to provide a place that's attractive for the big spenders. It's the same concept as a gated home community. The gate provides a "strainer" to filter out those deemed less worthy. Another example is a private country club...the dues create a barrier to entry for those of lower income.

The first time I encountered this, I was as offended. No one wants to be excluded because of the age of their rig. Now, I always look to see what other options exist before staying at one of these types of places. The best revenge is to spend your money elsewhere.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:39 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
hellertown , Pennsylvania
If you are at one of those camp grounds and you are parked next to a 40` moter home i would in no way use as much energy as the large motor home. They have two AC large water supplies 50 amp sevice, larger family and friends along for the ride. large fridge, oodles of food supplies, they won`t shop at camp store. Their AC makes more noise then a generator. Did i mention i pay the same as they do. Whats their beef. Carl
carlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:25 AM   #24

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Don't recall the name of the park but it was in Oregon near Portland where they did not allow 10 year or older trailers.
graysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:27 AM   #25
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
We stay at an RV park with the 10 years old restriction, but it is not enforced. If the rig is clean and pretty they let it in even if it is 50 years old. That restriction is an attempt to prevent dirty old ragged trailers from entering their park.
I lived in a mobile home park with that restriction. They were trying to prevent old, broken down, rusty house trailers from moving in. My trailer was more than 10 years old, but after seeing pictures of it they allowed me to park it there. When the movers brought it in, the neighbors thought it was brand new. I had just power washed it a few months prior. It still looked nice and clean when I sold it.
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:13 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member
1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
It is my impression that the 10 year restriction is to keep the impoverished, druggies, drunks, etc. and their dilapidated trucks and trailers out. This practice is probably illegal but I am not sure who would take the issue to the folks at SCOTUS.

We have been full timing since 2007 and have run into this restriction twice. The first time the RV park would not accept our reservation because our trailer is more than 10 years old. She made up something about the electrical system not being up to current standards and would not budge on the matter. The second time occurred at a park in Ventura, California. We were told that they would not accept a trailer more than 10 years old. Undaunted, my wife drove our newly polished 37 year old 29' Airstream into their registration area. Once they saw the classic dimpled reflection of their office on the side of our Ambassador they immediately accepted our money.

About five years ago an RV park in Las Vegas (Wagon Wheel) turned us down because the owner did not like Airstreamers. Said we were just too snobbish.
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:34 AM   #27
Rivet Master
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Originally Posted by Eagle & Bear View Post
About five years ago an RV park in Las Vegas (Wagon Wheel) turned us down because the owner did not like Airstreamers. Said we were just too snobbish.
I love it! I've heard that too on rare occasion but have never met an Airstreamer I didn't like. In fact, I've rarely met an SOB'er that I didn't like as well.

Just goes to show that there are different strokes for different folks.
Bob Martel
WBCCI# 5766
AnnArborBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:47 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I thought of the gated community analogy but it fails because anyone can get in if you have the dough - even the Clampits.

In this case you can present the dough with your older trailer and possibly get turned down.

My experience so far with campgrounds is without such restrictions and never have I felt a prominence of unwelcome folks - druggies - etc....this is I suspect a largely imagined construct....otherwise my family travels so far would be littered with "undesirables".

Airstreamers are too snobby?! Def not the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

“The atoms of our bodies are traceable to stars that manufactured them...We are not figuratively, but literally stardust.”

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote