Old 08-11-2015, 04:44 PM   #57
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
In fact a few times I have come very close to making a decision to sell the AS and splurge on nice new Class A with all the bells and whistles - especially as we are getting up in years and I imagine they are less physically demanding.
Less physically demanding to set up and break camp, yes. Less physically demanding to hitch and unhitch a toad than to hitch and unhitch a travel trailer, yes. More physically demanding to drive a 40-something-foot rolling brick that doesn't bend in the middle to go around curves. It may be luxurious, but where the rubber meets the road, it's still basically a bus, and still handles like one.

WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:04 PM   #58
3 Rivet Member
2013 25' Flying Cloud
Edisto Island , South Carolina
I guess the judgment about "less physically demanding" is just that: a judgment. We moved from a 42' class A to a short stint in a 25' class C, then to our 25' AS. Hands down, I find the AS to be the least physically demanding of the bunch overall. And, yes, we did use a toad with both the A and C classes. I have always found the AS to be quicker and easier to set up and break camp than the motorhomes. No way would I go back to the motorhomes. But, as we often say, "ymmv".

Edistobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:04 AM   #59
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I can't imagine driving a diesel pusher with air seats could be all that bad.
I also can't Imagine a Class A or a trailer being easier or harder to set up.
Class A- unhook the toad, back in, hook up electric, water, and sewer, stabilizers down (probably electric and automatic), tune in the television channels (probably automatically aiming satellite antenna), deploy awnings (probably power)-
Travel trailer- unhook the trailer, back in, hook up electric, water, and sewer, stabilizers down (probably manual hand crank), tune in television channels (probably manual over the air antenna or manually adjusted satellite antenna), deploy awnings (probably manually operated)-
I guess I'll never know...

Even the electric cord and water hose on a big bus are on an electrically operated roll up spool-
With a generator, Class A people don't even have to exit the coach to set up camp or break camp. I noticed that back in the tent camping days. A big Class A would pull up and then leave in the morning, but I never saw the people. I thought, "Well, that's just not camping at all. That's driving a house around."
I guess it has it merits for those with deeper pockets than mine-
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:15 AM   #60
3 Rivet Member
2013 25' Flying Cloud
Edisto Island , South Carolina
That's why "ymmv" is applicable. For me, it involved access to things: necessary stooping and dodging of slides, configuration of storage bays, etc., plus the sometimes difficult dealing with the 4-down toad: can't back up, can be difficult to unhook if at an angle or on a grade, etc. There're plenty more reasons in my case why the AS is easier, but I don't want to hijack the thread.
Edistobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:18 PM   #61
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
So, with tongue in cheek I offer this advice for managing neighbors in a campground ... Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1439439477.398802.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	245376  
As far as I know, this is the oldest I've ever been.
Road Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:34 AM   #62
4 Rivet Member
1969 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
To me it's kind of like if everyone liked McDonalds then Burger King wouldn't be around. The reality is there is something out there for everyone and every RV and camping lifestyle. The most important thing to me is to get out there and enjoy it. If it's in a tent or a Prevost or anything in between then who's to say it's right or wrong. I've come to realize that there are an amazing number of people on the road that live in an RV because their work requires them to be on the road and they don't want to live in a hotel year round. They may be next to us in the park because they stopped there that day to work - to supervise a construction project or work on a computer project online or whatever. Some travel with their families others travel by themselves. One guy I met at Lazydays in Tucson has an online business that he runs from the road. He travels year round in his RV and runs his business from the road. His children experience up 12-15 locations a year and the parents home school. It works for them. It probably would not have worked for us raising our children but good for them. For us we are living riveted and loving the great outdoors ...
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:40 AM   #63
4 Rivet Member
1969 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
I can just imagine the conversations at the campgrounds 60 or more years ago when people in trailers started showing up at campgrounds around the tent campers. I'm sure some of the tent campers probably wrote the trailer life off as being for softies that didn't want to experience their version of "real camping" ....
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:43 AM   #64
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
If Resort is used in the name I look for another place to stay.
WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:13 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
Originally Posted by kdickinson View Post
To me it's kind of like if everyone liked McDonalds then Burger King wouldn't be around
If everyone was like me McDonalds and Burger King wouldn't be around.

We've stayed in some smaller "mom and pop" RV parks that have been really nice and anticipate in our future extended travels a combination of national park, COE, state park campgrounds, BLM, NF boondocking and private RV parks.

2008 Classic 25fb "Silver Mistress"
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins. Crew Cab, 4x4, Silver
2010 Tundra 5.7L, Double Cab, 2wd, White
KJRitchie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:11 AM   #66
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Michael, resort as in last resort. I agree.

1984 Avion 30p 9.1 meter. 2006 Dodge 3500 cummins srw short bed crew cab.
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote