Old 07-20-2015, 10:56 AM   #15
Full Time Adventurer
2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
As above, the big parks (resorts) often have facilities (laundry, pool, showers, c-store with propane, a list of approved RV techs, etc) which make them useful. Don't discount it if you're out on the road awhile.

Helps to think of them as professional drivers think of the big national truck stops chains: Food, fuel, clean, truck service. Predictable. And more secure.

A bunch of RV services all in one place, in this case. And more nearby.

With a Wally World and Camping World nearby, you betcha!

All that's needed (and I'm not quite kidding) is a McDonalds. Fast food has its place. Get in one night, do the round of errands with some fast food energy, and get ready to get back out again. Have dinner delivered. Do no cooking kind of thing. Time efficient.

The closer these places come to the modern travel plaza concept of serving trucks and four wheelers, the better. One stop. Short trips, if that.

See them as being useful. Not as a destination so much, but as a place to get work done, re-supply the vehicles, and move on.

Looking down ones nose misses the point.

Choose one well as to location near suppliers and services, have a list to accomplish and use the convenience to do more in less time.

After all, there are some crappy campgrounds near metro areas. Or that are more scenic, but location means far more hours to finish a list of needs. I'd rather be in a "resort" two nights than the alternative for three.
I look at it as the RV parks serving their clientele. In 2015 the last group of baby boomers hit retirement age. And I have often looked at the parks as for folks who generally are retired and go out and do stuff every day and like to come back and use the park services and sit in AC or ride over to their friends RV in their golf carts.

We avoid parks completely.

Family of 4 living, working & exploring the USA in our Airstream.
BoldAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:33 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Compound this with parks that have age limits for trailers.

1984 Avion 30p 9.1 meter. 2006 Dodge 3500 cummins srw short bed crew cab.
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:35 AM   #17
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
There will always be Corps of Engineers parks, state parks, Forest Service parks, national parks- our choice for camping. These parks are the destination/adventure.
There will always be privately run RV "resorts"- our choice for visiting grand kids, going to a wedding, etc. These parks are a place to overnight for a specific event. We usually came to these parks from a state park and return to a state park when we leave from these parks.
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 12:18 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member
1965 22' Safari
Amelia Ct Hse , Virginia
Can't remember the last time we stayed in a commercial RV park. Wouldn't know how to act. When traveling it's COE's, FS, Wal-Mart overnight. Destinations are COE FS, NP's and relatives & friends. The big guys and their kids can have the big parks (resorts).
nypatnva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 12:42 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
1999 31' Land Yacht
Kingston , Washington
Having just moved from an ultralite 2008 KZ 13' to a 1999 Airstream Land Yacht 30', we've yet to take the AS on a major trip. The KZ with its very limited tankage and power always meant RV parks. Now, hopefully with the Airstream we can be bolder in selecting non-RV park sites. Researching such camping possibilities tends to be somewhat challenging (must have dozens of URLs bookmarked). So, as new class A'ers, but with an appreciation for the smaller rigs, we venture out.
comprose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:05 PM   #20
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
There is much, much more to RV resorts than a bunch of rigs parked in a row. We spend several months a year at them and have the time of our lives, never a dull moment. The amenities are great but it's the sense of community, friendships, pot lucks, campfires together, hobbies and sports that we enjoy.

We travel and camp where we want six-seven months a year, and enough of sitting in the woods or desert is enough. We see the country with our Airstream, last year Washington D.C. and Yosemite Nat'l Park and everything in between.

Airstreams are for travel, so if travel experiences and seeing the country is the goal, what matters about the camping venues along the way. Make the best of them, some will be excellent and some good.
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:06 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member
2007 20' Safari
2016 26' Flying Cloud
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Tow on ! And were in only a 20Ft.! A lot of those unit's seem larger than our House.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:09 PM   #22
2006 19' Safari SE
Santee , California
Just like houses and mansions there are campgrounds and RV parks. Campers and RVers often have different a ideals and agendas and therefore I suppose they need theirown type of 'cramp'ground. They wouldn't be caught dead where I camp or without hookups.... Thank god for that!

The path not taken is the one I'm on...
Mj: "I'm on the road again"
Markj55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:27 PM   #23
2010 23' Flying Cloud
2011 Avenue Coach
Lubbock , Texas
Try COE parks. Most have a view & there're cheaper.
norm37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:34 PM   #24
Rivet Master
1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
We have similar sentiments here... we avoid commercial parks that cater to big rigs as much as possible...only stay in them if desperate, or really need to be in a specific location. Our first choice is forest service campgrounds, BLM, Army Corps of Engineers, etc. Our reason for camping is to be out with nature, enjoy the forest or the ocean or lake... not to be in a parking lot with big rigs...we could do that for free at our local WalMart rather than spend $55 - 80 a night for a piece of sidewalk! One of my big concerns is that the places we like the most (NFS) do not have the same care they once had. I recall when every campsite had a ranger that came by, the restrooms (pit toilets often...) were clean, and tables and firepits in good repair. I have been to a number of NFS sites where they have shut off the water rather than go through the process to get the system certified for drinking... very sad.
Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson!

My blogs:
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:41 PM   #25
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
I look at it as the RV parks serving their clientele. In 2015 the last group of baby boomers hit retirement age. And I have often looked at the parks as for folks who generally are retired and go out and do stuff every day and like to come back and use the park services and sit in AC or ride over to their friends RV in their golf carts.

We avoid parks completely.

Preconceptions, newbie. Those with school age children are often glad of a "resort".

And the last of the baby boomers won't hit 65 until 2029.
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:42 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member
2007 27' Classic FB
Tupper Lake , New York
I'm with the gang that likes federal, state, & county campsites. Last trip on the road was for 420 days & our average daily cost was $20.11. Also, keep in mind that Army Corps of Engineers sites do have hook ups, are usually on or near the water, & they are well spaced from each other. We used to locate federal campsites.
Diesel75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:57 PM   #27
Rivet Master
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
We also use the Federal and state campgrounds whenever possible. We've also found several local municipality campgrounds that were delightful- and cheap.
2014 25' Flying Cloud Rear Twin
2012 Dodge Durango Hemi/AWD
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:58 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member
2010 25' FB International
Lake Arrowhead , California
Haha! That's funny, because our first nite in our new to us 25' AS, we were sandwiched between a huge 40' Class A on one side and an even bigger 5th wheel on the other. It was like being in an RV canyon. We were travelling, so no big deal, and our future stays will be in national & State parks and boondocking for the most part.

Blueliner is offline   Reply With Quote