Old 01-25-2007, 12:09 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Sea Cliff

We'll be traveling with our pets, so we really need to give most of our evenings to them. So I'll just plan 3 days at Sea Cliff, and then up to Pacifica.

It's been 20 years since I drove south on Hwy 1, but I still remember the ride down to San Francisco. Thanks for reconfirming my thoughts and everyone elses recommendations about taking the 34 up 101 instead.

Benbow does look like a great place to spend a few days. You've given me two more places to stay for a visit!

From the Trinadad/Eureka area which hwy would you suggest I use to get over to I-5? We'll be hooking over to Tahoe for the start of our return leg. I remember a hwy that I used had a sign saying that if you were pulling any kind of a trailer that you shoud turn around and find an alternate way.

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:22 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

Pacific

Tom NO NO NO on 4 days in Pacifica its an ashphalt parking lot when you call them for a reservation they ask if you have slideouts putting out your awning in any spot other than those along the back FORGET IT. We have been there ONCE and that was one to many. If you want to go there and arrive late in the afternoon and leave in the morning to do SF come back late sleep then leave early am OK.
I think its the 299 from Trinidad which will take you to Redding to connect to the 5. Very pretty drive.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:39 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
No Pacifica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excella3287
Tom NO NO NO on 4 days in Pacifica i
Ok, they don't have one good review on rvparkreviews.com either. They're really proud of their location at 100 per night.

It was either there or a longer stay in Half Moon Bay. There's a BART station about 30 miles from Half Moon Bay, and we can just do that.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:49 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

Half Moon Bay

Tom they have a Four Seasons right at waters edge that's great for dinner or just hit the lounge around sunset for a cocktail the view is fabulous. You made a wise decision.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:59 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
It's actually Ritz Carlton...

The big fancy waterfront hotel in Half Moon Bay is actually a Ritz Carlton, not a Four Seasons.. Still very elegant, and somewhat pricey...

There is a commercial RV park a 1/4 mile away on access road, called Pelican Point, that is within walking distance to hotel and ocean.. Not particularly lovely, with a number of full-timers and Trailer Life ratings in range of 5 to 7... Located off Hwy 1 south of intersection with Hwy 92, near Ocean Colony development...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 03:08 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

Ocean Mesa

As others have said here picking up your wife at lax depending on time of day. Late in the afternoon would suggest Malibu RV Park for the first night right on the ocean, if in the am go straight to Ocean Mesa in Santa Barbara only 1 1/2 on a good day to 2 1/2 on a bad day. Or Pismo Coast Village in Pismo is only about three hours from LAX again on the coast. Or there is Wine Country RV in Paso Robles that is very nice.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:45 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Indeed 299 will take you back to 5. The road is VERY twisty, especially the last hour. My daughter gets sick every time.. so be advised. I have never towed over it, but have been behind many people towing boats, etc... so it's doable, just a little hairy at the end.

Sea Cliff and Benbow for sure! I love Golds Beach too... Port Orford is also incredible, with a working lighthouse that has tours... it's AWESOME!!
Old 01-25-2007, 04:40 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

Oops

Thank you Condoluminum for the correction that its the Ritz and not the Four Season its been a long time since there but I remember having a cocktail in the lounge with fabulous views and having a great dinner.
Tom I hope when you get back or when on the road and the opportunity permits that you share your travels with us. When are you planning on taking this trip?
Old 01-25-2007, 04:43 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

BenBow

Again forgetting to mention when making reservations at BenBow request an end spot that comes with patio furniture already setup plus in the morning they deliver to your door orange juice and bagel along with the local paper.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:02 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Wow Kip

Can't wait to take a trip up that way with your recommendations!! Saw your pics with the Airstream with the funny paint job Looking forward to seeing you at Malibu. Debbie
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:58 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
lax

Quote:
As others have said here picking up your wife at lax depending on time of day. Late in the afternoon would suggest Malibu RV Park for the first night right on the ocean, if in the am go straight to Ocean Mesa in Santa Barbara only 1 1/2 on a good day to 2 1/2 on a bad day. Or Pismo Coast Village in Pismo is only about three hours from LAX again on the coast. Or there is Wine Country RV in Paso Robles that is very nice.
My port of entry to Hwy 1 will be at Ventura, and we'll spend two nights at the Ventura RV Park. My wife's flight lands at 5:30PM. Yikes! Since I am accostomed to a 20 miute commute, 18 miles, I have opted to have a town car fetch MDW. For me it's money well spent to avoid being introduced to the LA freeway system in the middle of rush hour.

The RV park doesn't have great reviews, but we're only staying there for two nights. Then it's off to Morro Bay and beyond.

Old 01-26-2007, 09:09 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Change of plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoiacoast
Indeed 299 will take you back to 5. The road is VERY twisty, especially the last hour. My daughter gets sick every time.. so be advised. I have never towed over it, but have been behind many people towing boats, etc... so it's doable, just a little hairy at the end.
One of the good things about advanced planning is that your itinerary remains fluid. I've found out that the trip through northern Nevada is like driving I 10 in west Texas. Hot and boring.

Since I've opted out of the I 10 experience on my outbound leg, I'm looking at taking a more northern route east on my inbound leg. Now I'm looking at continuing up the coast into Oregon as far as Florence, and then east to Eugene, Bend, and over into Idaho.

Thanks Sequoia for the note on 299. I don't need a roadsick navigator.

Old 01-26-2007, 09:18 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
I hope when you get back or when on the road and the opportunity permits that you share your travels with us. When are you planning on taking this trip?
This trip is going to be my retirement gift to myself. We'll be traveling the bulk of summer '08. My wife pokes fun at me when I start planning a trip so far in advance. For me, I like to figure out my route, gain an awareness of alternative places stay, and then spend the rest of my time finding things to do along the way.

The last trip we made I kept a blog going while on the trip, and I'll probably do the same. Now that I'm on this forum, I'll be posting updates here as well.

Old 01-26-2007, 09:23 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Benbow

Quote:
Again forgetting to mention when making reservations at BenBow request an end spot that comes with patio furniture already setup plus in the morning they deliver to your door orange juice and bagel along with the local paper.
Wow! My wife will really be impressed. May be worth staying there awhile longer.