Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2015, 05:47 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Ontheroad , On road
RV Parks: Large communal kitchens??

Greetings!

First of all, I am a "newbie", still at the research stage.

When I was low-budget travelling through New Zealand a number of years ago, I enjoyed staying at one particular (what I would call) "RV/Holiday Parks" where I rented a very small basic cabin.

This RV park had a very large central kitchen/eating area. I don't mean one where there was one stove and a sink... this place had more than a *dozen* cooking stations with full gas ranges, counter area and sink, all lined up on one side of this large room. I am trying to determine if some RV parks here in the States provide this amenity.

I tried searching a few typical RV park's websites here in the U.S., but only found some that had a single kitchen that looked like it was for special gatherings, parties, etc. - NOT everyday food prep and not dozens of cook stations.

Question (finally!): Are there RV parks here in the U.S. that have large central cooking facilities with multiple ranges/sinks? If so, what is the terminology for these (what key words would you search for to find these)?

And lastly, what is your favorite non-affiliated website for getting RV park info / details, reviews?

Thanks!
Marshall54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:54 PM   #2
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
I doubt it very much. All RVs have cooking facilities and ice box or refrigerator, even the oldest and simplest. There would not be the demand. Even tent campers bring their gas stove and cooler.

The kitchen for events and gatherings should be standard equipment if they have a meeting room.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Several of the private (or formally) Airstream only parks do. I spent the night at a KOA in Wisconsin that had a full blown professional grade kitchen. The manager told me they have several big events every year and the kitchen is used for those gatherings.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:53 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall54 View Post
This RV park had a very large central kitchen/eating area. I don't mean one where there was one stove and a sink... this place had more than a *dozen* cooking stations with full gas ranges, counter area and sink, all lined up on one side of this large room. I am trying to determine if some RV parks here in the States provide this amenity.
RV parks that provide a pavilion and/or a meeting/event room will typically have cooking facilities associated with them; a barbecue area for the pavilion, or a full kitchen for the meeting/event room.

Other than that, dispersed cooking facilities— in the form of provided barbecue grills, water supplies, electric hookups, and a picnic table that serves double duty as a food prep area and an eating place at individual campsites— are the norm. And not all RV parks will provide all of these amenities, either. Sometimes you must be prepared to bring your own tables and grills as well.

If you want multiple cooks all cooking in one place, such as for a Texas chili cook-off, you had best be prepared to provide your own amenities for the event.

Non-affiliated website for park info— Allstays.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:39 PM   #5

Currently Looking...
Ontheroad , On road
OK thanks everyone for your comments. Further research today (since I posted the question) has revealed that having large communal kitchens, showers, and dining areas appears to be primarily a New Zealand thing. It was an awesome setup, especially since we were traveling with only a backpack!
Marshall54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 10:17 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Ladson , South Carolina
Ocean Lakes CG in Myrtle beach has a big kitchen for group use.
Top of Georgia CG (Airstream only) has great kitchen but only used by the club for rallies. Some other CG's have smaller kitchens for group gatherings.
SC Coastal Unit
TAC-SC5
Safari Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 10:18 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Actually, lot of the Oregon State Parks do have meetings rooms - many with sinks and heaters and some with hot water. Usually, those are rented when several campsites are rented as well. But they are available!
twestover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 11:08 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Wichita Falls , Texas
Here at my park we have a full kitchen in the meeting room, when the room is not reserved for a club meeting the room is available for all guests to use.
PeterKV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:53 PM   #9
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Many (not all) RV parks will have a "clubhouse" which probably (not always) will have a kitchen, but as the others have said, they are generally used for communal events where the RV park sponsors some activities.

Typically the clubhouse will also have the laundry, showers, maybe a swimming pool change room, game room, exercise equipment room, and common room for above-mentioned activities like dinners and card-parties. Sometimes they will have a gift- or camper-supply shop or even a library.

If the RV park doesn't have some type of campfire ring or BBQ grill at each site, they may have a communal campfire ring area (which I have never seen anyone actually use.)

The one place I've seen with communal cooking and eating areas is at Waterton Lakes National Park, in the townsite campground. They're pretty strict about fires there. But we've camped there three times, and never saw anyone use them.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 02:59 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall54 View Post
OK thanks everyone for your comments. Further research today (since I posted the question) has revealed that having large communal kitchens, showers, and dining areas appears to be primarily a New Zealand thing. It was an awesome setup, especially since we were traveling with only a backpack!
Hi Marshall --

Especially when you said "traveling only with a backpack" my mind said "Marshall is describing a (youth) hostel but with RVs!"

If what you are looking for is the communal kitchen/meeting areas, group travel trips, etc., but with anything from single private rooms en suite, or group dorm style rooms; then google the hostel international system - they're worldwide and all over the states in various cities and rural areas.

My favorite to date still remains Mountain Hostel - High in the Alps in Switzerland.

Ian
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote