Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2015, 12:01 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

RV Parks and Reststops along Interstate 80/90

Can anyone recommend some RV Parks along or near the toll freeways I 80 and 90 from Chicago to Cleveland Ohio? Has anyone spent the night in their AS at one the nice rest stops along this route? I am concerned if I spend the night at one there would be a lot of traffic noise and headlight blare keeping me awake, thanks all, Jim
J Goertzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 01:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
. Spent several nights in rest areas, even when it says no overnite, I am old and need my rest so there....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 01:36 PM   #3
GLCMRANGER - Sue

2016 25' International
Littlestown , Pennsylvania
One Word: DANGEROUS! Stay at a Walmart -- they have security personnel and cameras.
glcmranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 01:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by glcmranger View Post
One Word: DANGEROUS! Stay at a Walmart -- they have security personnel and cameras.
I will second that. I've thought about staying at Interstate rest stops but where I've traveled it's not legal. I've talked with enough truckers to know that it's dangerous anyway and better to spend $35 for an RV park. I've stayed at Walmarts and Cracker Barrel too. Pick a spot and then Google that location for comments from other travelers. I found a nice place in Virginia, lots of restaurants, cheap gas, wide road and other travelers to sit among. I just figured that area is where I wanted to stop for the night, found the Walmart and Googled it. I found a lot of good information.

I've also found information about other places where it'd be better to stop before or after a given location. So figure out your general stopping area, look for a Walmart or Cracker Barrel and then Google the address with something like 'overnight at Walmart [address] safe? or good spot?' and see what comes back. Be sure to look at the date of the post, some are pretty old.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
They are noisy, but they are convenient and there are earplugs.

If you must, park at one that has 24 hour security.

Maggie
Old 09-21-2015, 03:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Tried getting a nap at a commercial truck stop one time. Lasted a couple of hours before the noise and fumes ran me off. Pulled off at the next highway rest stop. Parked on the back side away from most of the big rigs close to a couple of other TTs and got a comfortable 3 hour nap until the sun came up and hit the road. Sign said security was on site but never saw any.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:31 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
Almost every year we travel from VT to the Rockies via the Ohio Turnpike. Their service areas on the Ohio T-pike are amazing. There are special parking areas for just RVs. This year the cost was $20, but you can hook-up to the electric 30 or 50 amp. Most of these areas also have dump stations and potable water outlets. The service areas are kept spotless inside. We wish every state had the same kinds of facilities. Ohio seems to be the only state like this.
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:26 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
There is a KOA right off of I-80 in Laramie. It's a parking lot in the desert. Nothing special and not inexpensive BUT the people there took fantastic care of me. My T-Mobile service was down and I got a flat tire AND it was July 4. They helped me find roadside assistance to change the truck tire (I could have done it myself but it was HOT and I'm old and lazy... and they found me a great place to get the tire professionally repaired at a reasonable cost, recommended a good local restaurant, etc.

NICE people who care about their jobs and their customers - what a concept!

There was a LONG dry haul to get to Laramie coming from the west. And two campgrounds that I wish I'd googled in advance - passed both by upon physical inspection. Advice - even Verizon or AT&T coverage is spotty along I-80 so pre-inspect a bunch of them before you even leave on the trip. The two I gave up on were basically permanent residents - one step above homeless shelters.

Paula
Old 09-22-2015, 11:37 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Stop in for a visit. Courtesy parking with full hookups here! Just sw of Cleveland. When are you traveling thru?
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:39 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Caravel
Indianapolis , Indiana
From Chicago to Cleveland, there are a couple of RV resorts and state park right off 80 at 69 in angola ind. we stayed the weekend at manapogo, there is a jellystone(pricey) and Pokagon state park(no water or sewer but dump station) SP is the cheapest.
amckibbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:50 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Both Indiana and Ohio have RV specific stops (power, water, dump stations) on the Indiana tollway and the Ohio Turnpike. They are fine places to stop. Might be a bit noisy as anything near the interstate could be, but close the windows and turn on the AC if needed. I have found them very convenient when traveling in the crowded east when I don't know the area. And you don't even have to get off the toll road.

I am sure you can google the two agencies to know in advance which rest plazas have them.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 12:23 PM   #12

1966 24' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
bowling green , Ohio
Try Maumee Bay State Park near Toledo. About 15-20 minutes from exit 5 on the Ohio Turnpike, off I-280. Very nice facility. Has only electric on site. But does have dump station & good water. Have stayed there many times. Is one of the Ohio premier parks with lodge & golf course too.
66streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:38 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
I forgot to add:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Goertzen View Post
Can anyone recommend some RV Parks along or near the toll freeways I 80 and 90 from Chicago to Cleveland Ohio? Has anyone spent the night in their AS at one the nice rest stops along this route? I am concerned if I spend the night at one there would be a lot of traffic noise and headlight blare keeping me awake, thanks all, Jim
We are the closest free campsite near the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, and the Cuyahoga Valley National Park!! There are many great things to see and do in our area.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 05:39 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Never tried rest stops / walmarts / cracker barrels, but have used Flying J truck stops regularly every winter for the last 15 years or so when headed to the south each winter.

Car park lights can be bright, and sometimes you get a truck running next to you (not often though as you are parked away from the 18 wheelers).

Generally we are tired enough that we sleep quickly and soundly and so there is no issue.

I was a bit worried at first about security, but so far - touch wood - we have not encountered any issues. I rather like the fact that the place is brightly lit and there is some degree of activity around all night.

I would be ok with trying a wamart or cracker barrel, but would be more nervous about an interstate rest stop unless brightly lit and with security present.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:26 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by glcmranger View Post
Yes it could be dangerous, I have a very large bore pistol by my bed, never had any problems, truck stops, wallmarts or roadside rest areas.......
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote