Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2010, 09:05 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
RV park recommendations - TX - RI in July

We are heading out for the month of July to visit family and cool temps in RI from Central Texas. We are heading rt 30-40-81-84-95 and are having to high tail it so need a few decent pullthrough stops along the way. Any good suggestions out there?
Has anyone been to the Hot Springs outside of Little Rock? Are they worth the trip?

Probable stops near Little Rock, Knoxville TN, Harrisburg PA, based on driving time per day.

Any suggestions would be most helpful.

Cheers.
Steve
ssfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssfletch View Post
We are heading out for the month of July to visit family and cool temps in RI from Central Texas. We are heading rt 30-40-81-84-95 and are having to high tail it so need a few decent pullthrough stops along the way. Any good suggestions out there?
Has anyone been to the Hot Springs outside of Little Rock? Are they worth the trip?

Probable stops near Little Rock, Knoxville TN, Harrisburg PA, based on driving time per day.

Any suggestions would be most helpful.

Cheers.
Steve
For a place to stay on the way, North Little Rock has a brand new RV park right on the Arkansas River right on the bike path, one of the best anywhere, and near lots to see and do. Good dining on both sides of the river and a small trolley system serves both sides including the Clinton Presidential Library and Little Rock's Rivermarket area. I have never stayed in this park, but have ridden my bicycle through it. It is nice. Check out their website North Little Rock Riverside RV Park-Home.

There is also a KOA practically at the junction of I430 and I40, but it is not that great, just a place to stay. It is near the other end of the bike path, though. I lived there for a few months in my Trade Wind when I moved to Little Rock from outside Austin, between Wimberley and Driftwood.

Hot Springs—there's a little more, OK a lot more, than just some hot spring. The main part of the city including its historic district is a national park and was the first federally protrected area in the US. There is a wealth of detail at Hot Springs' website. RV facilities are also available in Hot Springs.

They even have a thoroughbred horse track, Oaklawn Park. The Arkansas Derby, run at Oaklawn is one of the major warm-up races for the Kentucky Derby.

Heck, there is even a Gangster Museum celebrating not just Arkansas' homegrown variety of organized crime, but the big names too. It was a vacation spot for the likes of Al Capone, Bugs Moran, and others.

I could also list many more things in central Arkansas, but you are going somewhere, right?

Enjoy the trip. If you stay in the area, get in contact if you have the time.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:29 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tyler , Texas
Hot Springs is very nice. A pretty drive to get there, but not conducive to making good time: traffic, hills and curves on two lane highways.

Have fun!
Old 06-05-2010, 04:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
The Hot Springs area is nice but definitely not very convenient as it's off the beaten path so-to-speak. Should you go there, Lake Catherine SP on the lake is nice but not too close to town. The KOA is more convenient to town and OK for an overnighter with pull through sites you needn't unhook from. The North Little Rock KOA provides level pull through sites where you can stay hooked up and is convenient to the Interstate but just an average KOA. Once into Tennessee, especially as you approach Knoxville, you'll see plenty of state park exits along the highway. Should you arrive early enough in the afternoon you shouldn't have a problem getting a spot and overnighting in one of these very nice and resonably priced parks. I believe we paid the "Senior" rate of ten bucks! The regular rate was fifteen if memory serves me correctly. Once on 81 through The Commonwealth of Virginia you'll find some equally wonderful state parks (some of the nation's best) to choose from even though you'll likely be north of most by the time you stop again. Highland Haven Airstream Park is a few minutes off 81 near Christiansburg/Roanoke and just off the Blue Ridge Parkway should you get the chance to visit. A great resource for travel planning is www.uscampgrounds.info Have a wonderful trip to R.I.!
Old 06-05-2010, 12:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
stephenh2 and ZoominC6 are both correct about Hot Springs being out of the way while you are trying to go somewhere. You might consider it for a destination in a day's drive for another occasion.

If I were you I would use one of the North Little Rock locations I mentioned earlier.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:03 PM   #6
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
We usually head from Austin to the St Louis area each summer, so we have a couple of favorite stopping places the first couple of nights out.

Depends a lot on how far you want to travel in a day. In summer heat, I aim for not too much over 300 miles, especially the first day when we usually get a late start to avoid the worst of the Austin work traffic.

I often stop at Mount Pleasant KOA the first night out, which is about 316 miles from my house SW of Austin. The folks at that KOA are really nice and there are several restaurants within walking distance; we usually eat at the Applebees which is the closest to the park. I take I-35 to Waco and then 31 to Tyler where I turn north. Tyler and Athens can be mostly bypassed. Corsecana is the only really nasty city to go through.

We are stopping at the KOA in N Little Rock this year the second night out. I have heard good reports about that KOA. We usually go on to West Memphis the second night out and stay at a KOA on the interstate north of West Memphis or else at Tom Sawyer RV park on the river in west Memphis.

From there, depends on your route.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:36 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
Fishermans Memorial State Park

Great place to stay in RI

muddy_hollow is offline   Reply With Quote