Old 06-30-2009, 11:09 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
RV Park near NYC

We are planning to visit NYC probably in September. Despite havig lived within a day's drive for nearly thirty years, we have never been to see the sights!

I initially thought that we would ride the bike there, but after checking hotel prices and daily parking fees, decided to look into taking the AS instead!

I found a couple of RV parks within commuting distance, but looks like we could spend quite a few hours each day in the commute.

Then I came across info on the "Long Honeymoon" blog & youtube videos about the Liberty Harbor RV park in Jersey City which is a 12 minute ferry ride from Pier 11 at the foot of Wall street.

Its not much more than a big carpark with water and elec hookups, but of course location is the big attraction.

They don't quote rates on their website, but probably it will be high due to the location. I will need to phone for reservations as they only have fifty sites.

Just wondering if anyone here has stayed there and if so, any comments. About the only concern I have, not knowing the area, is security, but they say they have 24 hrs security, and as best I can judge from the photos on googlemaps, it doesn't look to be a rough area.

Any comments or even other suggestions about places to stay with the trailer when visiting NYC? (Or even not-to-be-missed things to see!)

Much appreciated! .......... Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We decided to leave the trailer at home when we drove to NYC (more than a day's drive from here) and we didn't know about the place in Jersey City. I'll be glad to hear about it.

If it doesn't work out, we stayed at the Pan American Hotel in Elmhurst, Queens. It was reasonably priced for NYC, had free parking, and was 4 blocks from the subway. The room was adequately sized and it wasn't a bad place. There was a really good Chinese restaurant on the way to the subway. Elmhurst is largely Chinese these days. From the hotel we could be in midtown in about 45 minutes.

Gene

Old 06-30-2009, 12:07 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Here is a link to a video of Sean Michael & Kristy's camping experience across the Hudson in New Jersey:
LongLongHoneymoon.com | Get hitched. » Blog Archive » VIDEO: Camping in New York?

Dennis
Old 06-30-2009, 12:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstalzer View Post
Here is a link to a video of Sean Michael & Kristy's camping experience across the Hudson in New Jersey:
LongLongHoneymoon.com | Get hitched. » Blog Archive » VIDEO: Camping in New York?

Dennis
Dennis - thanks - that was where I learned about the spot - they seem to have found it ok, I was just looking to see if any folks on the forum had also tried it.

I did learn on the Liberty Harbor RV park website that there is an adjacent night club that has very noisy music on Friday and saturday nights. It must be bad if they warn you about it, but at least they have the decency to warn you!

So we decided to plan our trip (if we stay there) to arrive around noon on Sunday and leave the following Friday morning!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 06-30-2009, 02:12 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2003 28' Classic
Oroville , California
Stayed there in 2006

Here’s a link to a query we posted in April, 2005, and a subsequent update when we actually stayed at Liberty Harbor in April, 2006.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/liberty-harbor-rv-park-in-nj-15769.html

At the time of our visit, an apartment complex was under construction near the rapid transit station. Consequently, there may now be other amenities (food, etc.) nearby.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cowpokes View Post
Here’s a link to a query we posted in April, 2005, and a subsequent update when we actually stayed at Liberty Harbor in April, 2006.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/liberty-harbor-rv-park-in-nj-15769.html

At the time of our visit, an apartment complex was under construction near the rapid transit station. Consequently, there may now be other amenities (food, etc.) nearby.

Excellent, very helpfull, thanks!

Sounds pretty much what I expected, I suppose the rates may be in the $80 range now considering it was four years agi that you went - hopefully they have the water fixed now, although I suppose facilities are not that important as most folks wouldn't be spending much time at the park.

I was hoping to use their showers as there are no sewer hookups. We are pretty new to our airstream having only used it in one trip (to California) last winter. We find the gray water tank seems to fill up very quickly, even though we are used to conserving water in an RV. I almost wondered if there was a problem with our tank, but I have since read similar complaints from others. Hopefully the showers are reasonably clean even if the water pressure isn't the best!

If I read correctly, you chose to use trains rather than the ferry from the marina? Any reason, trains more convenient and less costly? I read that the ferry only takes 12 minutes to Wall street.

Thanks again, .................... Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 06-30-2009, 04:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
To get around NYC, the subway is the best way. The PATH trains (called the Hudson Tubes when I grew up in NYC about 200 years ago) will share stations with the subway lines and you just have to walk to them. Of course the ferry is more scenic and may land at a subway line—I don't know, never took a NJ ferry. Do it both ways.

Gene
Old 06-30-2009, 06:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
To get around NYC, the subway is the best way. The PATH trains (called the Hudson Tubes when I grew up in NYC about 200 years ago) will share stations with the subway lines and you just have to walk to them. Of course the ferry is more scenic and may land at a subway line—I don't know, never took a NJ ferry. Do it both ways.

Gene
Yeah, we'll likely do it both ways. I enjoy boat trips! I imagine that you can probably buy an all day pass on the subway, though I'm guessing the PATH trains would be separate.

Most likely one day we'll try to hook up with one of those tour bus deals that lets you get on and off their route all day and has commentary on the sights. I imagine they must have them.

We've done that in cities such as San Diego, Savannah, etc. seems a good way to get an initial feel for the city. As I said we've never been to NYC before. Should be fun!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 06-30-2009, 07:53 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
Last summer we spent a couple of nights at Wildwood state park on the north edge of LI. It has all 3 hookups which was really nice. It is a pretty park and very open. We then drove to Ronkonkoma and took the train in for about $20 a person round trip for off-peak on the LIRR. We were told parking would have been more than $75 in NYC.

The second day we toured the Hamptons and picked out a couple of lovely homes near Southampton

Enjoy your trip.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCottage View Post
Last summer we spent a couple of nights at Wildwood state park on the north edge of LI. It has all 3 hookups which was really nice. It is a pretty park and very open. We then drove to Ronkonkoma and took the train in for about $20 a person round trip for off-peak on the LIRR. We were told parking would have been more than $75 in NYC.

The second day we toured the Hamptons and picked out a couple of lovely homes near Southampton

Enjoy your trip.

Thanks, i'll take a peek - presume LI is Long Island. Never been there so not sure

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Old 06-30-2009, 09:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Yes, LI is Long Island.

The Tubes (PATH) are separate fares I believe. The NYC subway has week passes, month passes, not sure about daily. We bought a week pass and were there a week, but actually lost a buck or two. Pick up a subway map immediately. You'll need it. There actually were 3 different lines, IRT, BMT, Ind., but the separation between them are blurred now and those names are now pretty much gone. They still operate semi-separately and name (or number) their routes differently. I think if you didn't grow up in NYC, it would take a while to figure it out. Barb never had any idea where she was and sometimes I wasn't sure because for some reason they had changed some of the routes since the 1960's! Can you imagine that? Ask a lot of questions and you'll do ok.

There's a pass to go see the major sites—Empire State Bldg, Ellis Is., Museum of Modern Art, Museum of Natural History, another museum which slipped my mind, and the Guggenheim. It was a major discount and well worth it. Expect some major waits because of insanely slow security at the Empire State Bldg and the ferry to Ellis Is. and the Statue of Liberty (extra $ to get off at the Statue of Liberty). I don't know about a tour bus deal because traffic is so slow in Manhattan during the week the next bus may never come in your lifetime. There's also the Circle Line boat that goes around Manhattan Is., a cool thing to do; it may be an option instead of Ellis Is. on that city pass. I think the city pass was around $70-75 person which is cheap compared to what you have to pay separately.

Have comfortable shoes—New Yorkers do a lot of walking. Walking to the subway, maybe another block or 2 or 3 underground, walking around museums, walk, walk, walk. New Yorkers have strong legs. It can be oppressively humid in the summer, so dress accordingly.

Driving in NYC—I hadn't been in NYC in about 40 years although I grew up there. For me, driving in NYC was fun, but my Colorado native wife sometimes had her hands over her face. She didn't scream though so she's a strong woman. Those lines they paint on the streets are only suggestions. New York drivers are opportunistic—you have to be to get anywhere. When they see an out of state license plate, they may try to take advantage of you. On weekends, Manhattan traffic is quicker (less slow), and one way to see the island is to drive around. Certainly there's a lot to see in the other boroughs and driving there is the quickest way to get around. Of course, I picked up on my old skills right away and kind of remembered what roads went where. You may not find driving in Manhattan fun, and if I had to do it a lot, I wouldn't either.

The NY area is big, slow to get around and must have 18,000,000 or more people by now. It's different, but exciting. You can feel the excitement of NYC in the air. Take some time to just walk around midtown and through Central Park, and then down around Wall St. and further south to the Battery. Check out Chinatown, Little Italy, Greenwich Village—well the list goes on and on. Just feeling the energy on the streets is unforgetable. Don't try to rush through things—it'll be there next year. Take as much time as you can and bring bundles of money.

Gene
Old 06-30-2009, 09:35 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Yes, LI is Long Island.

The Tubes (PATH) are separate fares I believe. The NYC subway has week passes, month passes, not sure about daily. We bought a week pass and were there a week, but actually lost a buck or two. Pick up a subway map immediately. You'll need it. There actually were 3 different lines, IRT, BMT, Ind., but the separation between them are blurred now and those names are now pretty much gone. They still operate semi-separately and name (or number) their routes differently. I think if you didn't grow up in NYC, it would take a while to figure it out. Barb never had any idea where she was and sometimes I wasn't sure because for some reason they had changed some of the routes since the 1960's! Can you imagine that? Ask a lot of questions and you'll do ok.

There's a pass to go see the major sites—Empire State Bldg, Ellis Is., Museum of Modern Art, Museum of Natural History, another museum which slipped my mind, and the Guggenheim. It was a major discount and well worth it. Expect some major waits because of insanely slow security at the Empire State Bldg and the ferry to Ellis Is. and the Statue of Liberty (extra $ to get off at the Statue of Liberty). I don't know about a tour bus deal because traffic is so slow in Manhattan during the week the next bus may never come in your lifetime. There's also the Circle Line boat that goes around Manhattan Is., a cool thing to do; it may be an option instead of Ellis Is. on that city pass. I think the city pass was around $70-75 person which is cheap compared to what you have to pay separately.

Have comfortable shoes—New Yorkers do a lot of walking. Walking to the subway, maybe another block or 2 or 3 underground, walking around museums, walk, walk, walk. New Yorkers have strong legs. It can be oppressively humid in the summer, so dress accordingly.

Driving in NYC—I hadn't been in NYC in about 40 years although I grew up there. For me, driving in NYC was fun, but my Colorado native wife sometimes had her hands over her face. She didn't scream though so she's a strong woman. Those lines they paint on the streets are only suggestions. New York drivers are opportunistic—you have to be to get anywhere. When they see an out of state license plate, they may try to take advantage of you. On weekends, Manhattan traffic is quicker (less slow), and one way to see the island is to drive around. Certainly there's a lot to see in the other boroughs and driving there is the quickest way to get around. Of course, I picked up on my old skills right away and kind of remembered what roads went where. You may not find driving in Manhattan fun, and if I had to do it a lot, I wouldn't either.

The NY area is big, slow to get around and must have 18,000,000 or more people by now. It's different, but exciting. You can feel the excitement of NYC in the air. Take some time to just walk around midtown and through Central Park, and then down around Wall St. and further south to the Battery. Check out Chinatown, Little Italy, Greenwich Village—well the list goes on and on. Just feeling the energy on the streets is unforgetable. Don't try to rush through things—it'll be there next year. Take as much time as you can and bring bundles of money.

Gene

Thanks Gene.

Sounds more and more like fun, we like to hike!

We are used to the "tube" (subway) in London, which is pretty extensive, so hopefully we will figure things out!

I must admit I am still a bit tempted to ride the motorcycle instead of taking the Airstream.

I belong (although not a very active member) to a motorcycle club called the "Southern Cruisers." They have a chapter in NYC that run what they call the "Concrete Canyon Tour" each year and organize a tour of hundreds of bikes thru NYC - I image that could be a lot of fun even for an old geezer like me!

I enjoy two wheeled touring as much as traveling with the Airstream, so I'm still trying to decide which way to do the big Apple. Nice to be spoilt for choice!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Old 06-30-2009, 10:56 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i would check to see what major events might be going on during the time you want to stay. anything involving the United Nations keeps me out of the city.

here are a few links that might be helpful. you'll need to buy a <etrocard to get on the subways and for the buses you can use a bucket of quarters or the card. bridge toll prices just went up. welcome to NY! do not take the trailer on any road with PARKWAY in the name or you will be fined and/or remove the top foot off the trailer. a possible exception might be the garden state parkway. go to the NJ site for more information.

New Jersey Turnpike Authority- Official Guide to the Turnpike and the Garden State Parkway.

MTA Home Page

NYC.gov
click on the visitor tab

nycgo / this is new york city

have a nice visit!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:04 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2003 28' Classic
Oroville , California
Brian,
We used the trains because that's what our friends who lived in Manhattan at that time recommended. They came to the RV Park on our first day, armed with transit maps, took us on the train to the Hoboken station, showed us how to purchase tickets and where to board the PATH train to NYC. Also, they lived less than a block from one of the PATH train stops in Manhattan.

Also, we ususally returned to the RV Park late at night after the ferry stopped its run to the adjacent marina.