Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2006, 06:07 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

RV park in NC?

I am moving to Greenville, NC, and am needing to stay in the airstream for a few weeks when I get there. However, I am having a VERY hard time finding an RV park in the immediate Greenville area. I have found one in Washington, but I was wanting something closer to Greenville.

Can anyone help me with this who is from the area?

Also, if you can and it is available, send me the weblink.

Thanks.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:43 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2003 28' Classic
Oroville , California
Had the same problem.

Bimi, for the past three years, we have visited the Greenville, NC, area as part of a multi-state swing around the US to visit family & friends. Other than a one-night stay at the Greenville Wal-Mart in 2004, we have been forced to camp 20-25 miles east of GV.

In 2004, we stayed at Tranter’s Creek CG in Washington, NC. In 2005 & 2006, we chose Twin Lakes Camping Resort in Chocowinity. Both are Good Sam parks and are roughly equidistant from GV – 18 miles to Tranter’s & 23 to Twin Lakes.
Twin Lakes is much larger and most of the sites sit under pine trees. Most of the Tranter’s sites were not shaded in the area where we were parked. Both parks have areas devoted to year-round residents; however, the units seemed to be kept in excellent condition – definitely not “trailer-trash” quality.
Twin Lakes also has the advantage of an RV repair facility/camping supplies store within approximately one mile – a bonus when we needed to replace the end of our sewer hose which was damaged during our trip from SC to NC.
In addition to propane, Twin Lakes also sold gasoline on site – a convenience for the boaters who use the adjoining marina, but available to all campers.

Both parks are highly rated in the Trailer Life directory. At Tranter’s, there was a security gate to limit access at night. Since we were mainly looking for a place to park the TT while we visited relatives in Greenville over the course of 7 to 10 days, we didn’t make use of any of the park amenities, other than laundry room.
Highway 264 between GV & Washington is mainly 4 lane, divided, and in good repair. Highway 33 between Chocowinity & GV is 2 lane with lots of potholes. In March this year, there was a detour around construction. Consequently, we frequently used 264, since the Twin Lakes CG is about the same distance from Washington & Chocowinity. Regardless of which park you choose, take the 264 route when you tow the TT.

I had excellent wi-fi connectivity in the A/S this year at Twin Lakes, but we were very close to the office. The service was available via LinkSpot for $$, not free.

In addition to the 2 parks where we have stayed, there is another cg about a mile further down the road from Twin Lakes – Wichard’s Beach RV & Marina. It is not as highly rated as the others. We did not check it out because the rates seemed to be in the same ballpark as those where we have stayed.

Tranter’s Creek - http://www.tranterscreekresort.com/
Twin Lakes -- http://www.twinlakesnc.com/
Wichard’s Beach didn’t have its own website when I googled it, but there were reviews on other cg sites.

FWIW there were at least two more A/S units at Twin Lakes this year but we didn’t have a chance to talk with the owners. Hope this helps.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:09 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Hmmm...

2cowpokes:

Thank you so much for the information. But, to be honest, I think it is amazing that Greenville doesn't have a campground. It is such a nice place and seems to be growing. We will definitely use one of the parks you suggested, probably Twin Lakes.

While we will be staying in the Airstream for a little while when we arrive, my biggest concern is next spring. I have about 5 rigs coming out from the southwest to visit us. I never dreamed they would have to stay 20 miles away. That will be extremely inconvenient. Makes me think that I need to buy some property and start my own campground! This may be why we didn't see any RV's while we were out there visiting.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:36 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I will also reccomend Twin Lakes. I have spent quite a bit of time there over the years. Excellent staff and good facilities. I believe Wichard's has closed.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 07:01 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
This is not an answer to your query but a warning about a campground in NC. We stayed at the French Broad River Campground outside of Asheville. We chose it on the strength of their web site which I have posted below. The only factual part of the web site is the river! Our first site was flooded and filled with garbage and goose poop. We cleaned and shoveled to no avail. A near by dump inlet was outletting onto the site. We moved the next morning to another site which had a small stream pouring through it. The water appeared fresher at least had less odor and no obvious source. As to the bathrooms and showers which are cleaned three time daily. I don't think a human has entered those buildings in years. There is no tennis court that we could find. There was no camp store. There was no game room. There was no hiking trails. There was a train track on the other side of river and when the hourly freight train came by the valley exploded with a noise equivalent to O'Hara airport. We never met the friendly, attentive, concerned owners who supposedly live right there. In fact there appeared to be no one running the campground. I think they spent all of their time putting together a web site and collecting the fees ahead of time. So beware of the rip off artist.Web site below.
http://www.ncrivercamping.com/index.html
Old 05-28-2006, 07:39 AM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Chaplain Kent,
If you happen to head down this way again I would highly reccomend Campfire Lodgings the website does not do it justice. We have made several trips to this facility over the past 6-7 years and have always been impressed. They are constantly improving and upgrading.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote