Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-25-2005, 01:25 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Carlsbad Caverns for New Years!!!!

Hi all -

As the tag line said, we are off to Carlsbad Caverns for New Years! The weather looks like it is going to be VERY nice and warm with crisp evenings. This will be our first outing with ALL of the family going in 1 car and returning in the same vehicle.

My wife work schedule precluded this arrangement on our last big outing in the summer - we drive and she flew and met us, then she flew back and we drove back and had THE BEST time! She missed all that, and now she wont be.

Planning to go through Rozwell and see the "Area 51" and other alien related stuff - all on the 27th. Then CC on the 28th. Will be leaving the 2nd. WE have several cave trips planned and even got tickets for the "Holiday Boat Ride" around the lake - to see all the decorations that the whole town has pu tout and lit!!!! Should be big fun! I'll report back if it isn't! Count on that,

Plan says to do full days at the caves with a side trip to Slaughter Canyon cave. That will be day 1. Day 2 will be back in the 'Major cave' and getting the "Uber" leader to show us places that many dont see simply because they do not ask. Dude, I CAN ask! Watch me.......

Does anyone have any strong opinion about going to ElPaso - or is that a destination that I can easily skip and not have issues from poeple that live or travel there, who will say - Man!!!!!! you were right there and didn't call/visit/hangout/etc....

I will gladly do those things, if they got me to find a great place(s) that I might have found in a month or 2 (which I don't have) - so I am relying on YOU!!!

You, who know Carlsbad Caverns and surrounds and only a few do - you, are the ones that will tell mw of your favorite resaurant, shop(s), places to visit, bars, Must see Firetowers or trains, Buildings in styles that ammuse, awe, and fall ontop of one due to poor care.

I want it ALL! I want to 'live' as a Carlsbadian!!! Where do I sign up!??

BUT, BUT, BUT ---- I NEED Info First. Post haste as we are leaving the 27th. I can be reached at factor8man@yahoo.com, or for those that prefer to hear the rattling timbere in my voice can gladly reach me at 505-440-0046. I would love to hear from you.

Ciao

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 09:14 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Carlsbad Caverns trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy
Hi all -

As the tag line said, we are off to Carlsbad Caverns for New Years! Axel
Hey Axel,

As you drive down toward Carlsbad, keep your eyes open for Pronghorn Antelope along the way!

Merry Christmas
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 01:20 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Pronghorn....

Thanks for the heads up on the Pronghorn. If I hit one, or see one that was hit, do you want me to stop and get you a nice head to mount? Kidding!

Planning on taking the trip really slow - to enjoy the slower vacation pace - and enjoy the surroundings, and the magic that the cave wieves. We plan to get lots of hiking in while we are there. Try ot get off the beaten path and see what there is to find when we get 'there'.....

Will post when we get back - photos if the digital is cooperating when we get back. Anyway, have a very Happy Holidays and a most Happy New Year.

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 07:44 AM   #24
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Another opportunity NM offers is fantastic flyfishing on the San Juan River. One of the West's premier trout spots. The San Juan is east of Farmington and easy to get to. Camping is available at several places including Abe's. The best area for fishing is above the town of Navajo Dam just below the dam itself. Wading is the way to do it but stay out of the rapid water. Plenty of calmer and slower water to fish in. If you need a guide, recommended for first timers, arrange one through the Float-n-Fish fly shop in Navajo Dam.

Axel - have a great, relaxing trip, ask lots of questions and post pictures when you return. Have a merry and a happy...

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 07:52 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Axel

Be sure to sign up for the private tours - they are REALLY cool - you have never seen darkness - I mean pitch black until you have been in some of those private tour only caves. This time of year you can probably get away with hiking back out (no supposed to) be with so few people at the caves, should be able to.

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 09:48 AM   #26
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr
Camping is available at several places including Abe's.
Brad
FF
It's not much, full hook ups and around $20 a night. Try the "Green" chile cheesburger at the Sportsman.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	abes2.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	17261  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 11:15 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Del Norte , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy
Hi all -

As the tag line said, we are off to Carlsbad Caverns for New Years! The weather looks like it is going to be VERY nice and warm with crisp evenings. This will be our first outing with ALL of the family going in 1 car and returning in the same vehicle.

My wife work schedule precluded this arrangement on our last big outing in the summer - we drive and she flew and met us, then she flew back and we drove back and had THE BEST time! She missed all that, and now she wont be.

Planning to go through Rozwell and see the "Area 51" and other alien related stuff - all on the 27th. Then CC on the 28th. Will be leaving the 2nd. WE have several cave trips planned and even got tickets for the "Holiday Boat Ride" around the lake - to see all the decorations that the whole town has pu tout and lit!!!! Should be big fun! I'll report back if it isn't! Count on that,

Plan says to do full days at the caves with a side trip to Slaughter Canyon cave. That will be day 1. Day 2 will be back in the 'Major cave' and getting the "Uber" leader to show us places that many dont see simply because they do not ask. Dude, I CAN ask! Watch me.......

Does anyone have any strong opinion about going to ElPaso - or is that a destination that I can easily skip and not have issues from poeple that live or travel there, who will say - Man!!!!!! you were right there and didn't call/visit/hangout/etc....

I will gladly do those things, if they got me to find a great place(s) that I might have found in a month or 2 (which I don't have) - so I am relying on YOU!!!

You, who know Carlsbad Caverns and surrounds and only a few do - you, are the ones that will tell mw of your favorite resaurant, shop(s), places to visit, bars, Must see Firetowers or trains, Buildings in styles that ammuse, awe, and fall ontop of one due to poor care.

I want it ALL! I want to 'live' as a Carlsbadian!!! Where do I sign up!??

BUT, BUT, BUT ---- I NEED Info First. Post haste as we are leaving the 27th. I can be reached at factor8man@yahoo.com, or for those that prefer to hear the rattling timbere in my voice can gladly reach me at 505-440-0046. I would love to hear from you.

Ciao

Axel
Axel
Sounds like a nice trip... I got to live in Carlsbad a few years ago and throughly enjoyed it. While you are that close consider spending a day or so at Guadalup National park just 30 minutes or so past Carlsbad Caverns. It has the highest peaks in TX, miles and miles of hiking trails and lots of deer, birds and other wildlife. McKitrick canyon trail head has a trail to the ex-ranchers rock house with a slab stone roof, this is a great hike, 2-3 miles as best I can remember, in the shade of tall trees A lot of big pine trees at the higher elevations , but this time of the year it can still get warn in there.. 2-3 miles as best I can remember..
The road from Guadalupe NP to El Paso is Not very scenic, salt flats, scrub brush.
nymphfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 12:47 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Guadalupe Mountains National Park

We will be in the area the second week in January pulling a 34 foot trailer. The map shows 8751 foot elevation. That sounds scary to me pulling a trailer. How are the roads? We have been to Carlsbad before but plan to go again. Do we want to leave the Airstream somewhere else? I really don't remember how the terrain was around Carlsbad. It has been many years since we were there. Probally about 30 years ago and without a trailer.
myrna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 04:00 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Del Norte , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrnaw
We will be in the area the second week in January pulling a 34 foot trailer. The map shows 8751 foot elevation. That sounds scary to me pulling a trailer. How are the roads? We have been to Carlsbad before but plan to go again. Do we want to leave the Airstream somewhere else? I really don't remember how the terrain was around Carlsbad. It has been many years since we were there. Probally about 30 years ago and without a trailer.
The 8,751 foot elevation is at the top of the mountain, the road is several thousand feet lower and s a wide, very nice driving with rollong hills, only one or two that are a little steeper but they aren't very long grades.
The Guadalupe NP has some RV sites and parking for Trailers and Motorized RV's, as best I remember thay don't have water and elec to each site but do have community water available along with nice restrooms and showers.
Carlsbad has several private Rv camping ares, also there is Brantley Lake State Park just a few minutes North of Carlsbad, it has elec and water at each site and nice restrooms with showers also. This sets on the edge of Brantley Lake.
Don
nymphfishin is offline   Reply With Quote