Old 08-02-2016, 03:29 AM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
Take a look at the Harley Davidson market. As us babyboomers started to age many ran out and bought a Harley. Purchased their costumes, tied on a do-rag and headed to Sturgis.
Which is why HD bought Buell in the first place. The idea was to have bikes younger folks would enjoy, then up sell them later. The problem was it never happened. Buell owners (like myself at one time) simply didn't find the cruiser market attractive. We saw older babyboomer buying new rides and "costumes" and that wasn't most Buell owners.

But the reality is most of the RVs, bikes, and cars these days cost some serious cash. When I was at a local car dealership a couple about 10-15 years older than I am (I'm on the tail end of the baby boomers) were test driving a new corvette. I mentioned this to the sales person and they said "they are really the only people who can afford some of our newer vehicles." He is right.

There's no way 10-15 years ago I would have considered spending over 60K on an RV. I couldn't. Today with almost all of our bills paid (minus the AS), we have the luxury of spending extra money on things because the now we're empty nesters.

It's this syndrome that feeds into having the extra money that feeds these recreational industries. While I thought the series covered some of the major issues, I'm not convinced that it's as gloom and doom as the author of this article points out. I do think some serious changes need to happen however and hopefully this series gets people talking about solutions to these issues.

Old 08-02-2016, 05:36 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member

Goliad , Texas
Bought my last one of these for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywsj View Post
Funny, I talked to Greg in at an RV park in Tucson back in February about this exact thing. We were on our first long trip with the Airstream and I had asked him what the top 3 issues that he saw in the RV industry. We've been mostly lucky. Two motorhomes and now our first Airstream. Mostly solid and good quality. Of course everything could be better. But the service situation is certainly in need of improvement. If we had service done on the motorhome, it would seriously be measured in weeks. We'll see with the Airstream as there is a short list of things to address. RV parks are in transition. We've stayed is some great ones, but also our share of mediocre. I will say this, there seems to be no shortage of people wanting to partake in the lifestyle. We're currently up in Breckenridge, CO at Tiger Run RV Resort. Not cheap, but not an empty spot in the park either.
We have had 2 motorhomes as well and the last one broke us from ever buying another. Not sure of the rules here but it was a Tiffin and all we did was WORK on what was BROKEN and could not get service even under warranty unless we were willing to drive to Red Bay Alabama and camp out and wait in line.

After going to one of their "rallys" and hearing Bob Tiffin "brag" about how many service calls they answered, that is when I decided it was time to ditch it. Why then? I want an owner that brags that all of his service people have their people have their feet propped up because they build the best unit on the market. Tiffin is building to production numbers not quality like most ALL manufacturers

That is why my wife and I are shopping for an AS we can tear into and build the way we want it. I built my own house and pretty much everything else I own except our vehicles. AS is knows for longevity so they had to do be doing something right in the past.

Wish us luck in our endeavors. This is a great forum and I am soaking up the info.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:57 AM   #45
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
Take a look at the Harley Davidson market. As us babyboomers started to age many ran out and bought a Harley. Purchased their costumes, tied on a do-rag and headed to Sturgis. Now that we are getting older, riding a big heavy motorcycle is a little tougher than it once was. The market is now flooded with bikes for sale and the prices are quite depressed. It is just a consequence of an aging market.

I feel much the same about RVs in general. Pretty soon, hefting that WD hitch into position won't be as much fun as it is now. This wave can't last forever.
In 1995 the average age for buying a Harley was 43, today over 58. Our Harley Chapter in 1995 was over 1000 members now maybe a couple hundred. Housing market is booming, car sales booming, rv's sales bombing, and I hope it keeps going, however, everything has a cycle, my biggest worry is the 21 trillion in debt that we have.

toastie
Old 08-02-2016, 07:51 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
You're in the RV replace industry; replace faulty solar installations, replace batteries, replace converters, replace Dometic A/Cs, replace Dometic fridges with Vitrigo models.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:27 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
Industry death spiral? All industries are in death spirals. Some last longer than others but they are few and far between. Innovation marches on. Tastes change. Buggy whip manufactures gone. Steam automobiles gone. Farm machinery companies that owned the markets in the late 1800's early 1900's gone. Tall top hats gone. RV's are no different. Evolution will take its toll. Some will be gone quicker due to missteps but none will be immune. Don't like the product, don't have the money, don't buy or participate.
ProPride
NØVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:13 AM   #48
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post

Interesting you mention the regulations against boondocking in parking lots and rest areas. In communities that enforce such regulations, I'll be you'll find local RV parks behind those regs - every RV parked in Walmart overnight is a source of revenue lost for the RV park. I can understand that given that in the northern and mountain areas, camping seasons are half of what they are in southern areas yet operating costs remain the same and in some cases are more because of the effect of harsh winters.
I have seen specific instances of local RV parks lobbying for local ordinances and enforcement.

But most of the regulation is at the state level. The fairly recent ban on camping in rest areas was a result of people of limited economic means doing so as a strategy for controlling their housing costs. Some of them were perhaps not responsible about, how shall we say, waste disposal. The DOT's position is that rest stops have never been intended for camping, and the legislature passed a very broad law rather than something tailored to the actual problem. The only exception is for motor carriers.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:36 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Boondocking in some USFS areas are being cut back due to over use. The high cost of housing in and around tourist towns have created situations where workers are abusing the 14 day limit on designated campsites as well as in no fee areas.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:09 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
I'd love to get into the industry, but I couldn't "put my name" on the crap that's rolling off the lines.
When I look at what's out there I am dumbfounded by what I see, and often wonder "what were they thinking. Not just in quality but in design. As mentioned in the articles, it appears the builders don't use their own products, or RVs in general. If they did they would understand the nuances of living in an RV.
I'm touring Winnebago this week and Airstream later this month. Based on positive comments in the article I'm going to try to fit in Grand Design while passing through Indiana.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:54 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Smithville , Texas
Agreed on the younger generation coming in. Not really one of those anymore at almost 41, but thanks to the tiny house movement, I think more people will be buying RVs. I would rather live in an Airstream than most trailers. My parents' 73??? Soverign International (or should that be International Soverign?) has WAY more storage space than my husband's modern trailer. Though, the slideouts are nice. But Airstream is a special thing all its own.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:07 PM   #52
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiJoeSilver View Post
Based on positive comments in the article I'm going to try to fit in Grand Design while passing through Indiana.
A good friend of mine had a Grand Design fiver and "liked it about as well as any other 5th wheel" he'd had... Other than the usual furniture failures (recliners falling apart), his refridgerator went out within the first 6 mos. and upon waking up during a midnight thunderstorm with a soaked pillow and mattress, he found the front cap roof-top seam wasn’t caulked well. Also, the seams around the front end sky light....

Kind of typical stuff... kind of but the company response was what put him off. While they were "really great” on the phone, follow through was bad. Six months later, the problems were finally fixed, though the company wouldn’t take responsibility for any internal wall damage due to water saturation.

With all that said, he did trade it in on another Grand Design toy hauler which he really likes a lot - carry his Harley with him (full timer), so his world is complete..
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:46 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
He's right about the campground issue, there simply aren't enough of them to meet demand. Even regular tent campgrounds. Here where I live in Santa Cruz county, they are snapped up within 2 mins of the 6 month window opening. Between Santa Cruz and San Francisco there are about 3 places to stay on the coast. The Coastal commission and environmental laws make it impossible.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:46 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
A good friend of mine had a Grand Design fiver and "liked it about as well as any other 5th wheel" he'd had... Other than the usual furniture failures (recliners falling apart), his refridgerator went out within the first 6 mos. and upon waking up during a midnight thunderstorm with a soaked pillow and mattress, he found the front cap roof-top seam wasn’t caulked well. Also, the seams around the front end sky light....

Kind of typical stuff... kind of but the company response was what put him off. While they were "really great” on the phone, follow through was bad. Six months later, the problems were finally fixed, though the company wouldn’t take responsibility for any internal wall damage due to water saturation.

With all that said, he did trade it in on another Grand Design toy hauler which he really likes a lot - carry his Harley with him (full timer), so his world is complete..
I'm starting, wait who am I kidding, concluded a while ago, this society seems to have gotten to the point that there is a complete acceptance of garbage products being acceptable, lack of responsibility for producing garbage by companies and most employees, and lack of pride in a persons workmanship.
I know this is not true for everyone, there are some who are true craftsmen and take pride in their work, but few and far between.