Old 05-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #29
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
I've heard of GPS's for truckers. I think they provide additional information regarding low bridge clearance as well as restricted road's and how to avoid them. I've never seen one directed to RV's however. Just a little aside, Several years ago we were camping in Colorado and ended up in Lake City. We wanted to do some mountain 4x4 trails there and were not disappointed. We had been in the area before and had some ideas what to expect as far as the roads go. At the campground the owner told me he often gets phone calls from RV'ers traveling between Durango and Teluride on Rt. 550 inquiring about the directions the GPS is giving to get to Lake City. The 4x4 trails make it a shorter trip from Silverton but certainly not for most RV's. The blacktop roads take you down to Durango and over Wolf Creek Pass etc. to get there. We drove those jeep trails and I just could not imagine the outcome should an RV try following that route. The moral of the story is not to put all your trust in the GPS. I always have maps available and have an overview of my route.
The RVND by Rand McNally is the cousin to the Inteliroute TND for truckers. The RVND is made for RV'ers and lets you put in the HxLxW of your unit so it can avoid low bridges. It can also be set to avoid tollways, ferries, U-turns, and dirt roads so you don't go 4 wheelin' with your AS!

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #30
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Ever think about why we drive on parkways, and park in driveways?

Old 05-01-2012, 01:36 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Ever think about why we drive on parkways, and park in driveways?

In rush hour, most of the parkways in NYC live up to their name...
Old 05-04-2012, 07:38 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
East Northport , New York
I decided I want the RVND 7710, I watched a few YouTube videos on it and it looks easy to use and has a lot if useful information.

Thanks for your help.

Susan
Old 05-04-2012, 08:13 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
get back to us with reviews!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
The setup Zep showed in post #10 above, using the full-sized computer, is what I use when towing - however, the software I use is DeLorme Street Atlas USA. The advantages over and above the Magellans and Garmins are incalculable! I use the latter when travelling solo but there simply is not enough information therein to safely plan a trip to new areas not served by interstate highways. I want a full representation of what's around the area I'm entering, or about to exit to, from the super slab, when towing, and I don't want to have to use a magnifying glass to see the limited detail offered by the phone-size units.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:54 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
The setup Zep showed in post #10 above, using the full-sized computer, is what I use when towing - however, the software I use is DeLorme Street Atlas USA. The advantages over and above the Magellans and Garmins are incalculable! I use the latter when travelling solo but there simply is not enough information therein to safely plan a trip to new areas not served by interstate highways. I want a full representation of what's around the area I'm entering, or about to exit to, from the super slab, when towing, and I don't want to have to use a magnifying glass to see the limited detail offered by the phone-size units.
It looks like a great tool but a lot of the places we go have no service. A combination of this software & the GPS would probably be the best.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:43 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbr443 View Post
It looks like a great tool but a lot of the places we go have no service. ...
You don't need service. Ozi downloads and saves the map(s) to your hard drive, so although you do need to survey the area at home [when you have an internet connection] before you jump in your tow vehicle, you have the maps with you.

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #37
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I was reading the earlier postings regarding the registration regs. in NYS. NJ is similar to NY in that respect. Here in NJ all pickups and vans are registered as commercial vehicles. As a commercial vehicle all are required to have a name ( company or owner) printed in the exterior and used to be excluded from Parkway travel. Many years ago ( not sure when ) the powers here in NJ recoginized that many of the pickups and vans were NOT in commercial use even though they are required to be registered as such and pay commercial rates. So, as a solution, they came up with a class 15 registration and called it PASSENGER vehicle at COMMERCIAL rates and allow it to have a passenger car license plate. This accomplished 2 things. Back when commercial vehicles were excluded from the Garden State Parkway it allowed us to use of the road with the " NON COMMERICAL" license plates and excluded us from the printed name requirement. We still have the name requirement for vehicles in commercial use but the commercial vehicle exclusion was modified for the Parkway usage north of exit 105. South of 105 there are no such restrictions. I think the restriction is now based on size and weight and allows smaller commercial vehicles to use it. Towing is allowed by vehicles that would otherwise be permitted to use the GSP. So most of us towing RV's are OK in New Jersey. New York now is another matter so do your homework. I don't think ANY is allowed there.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
It looks like a great tool but a lot of the places we go have no service. A combination of this software & the GPS would probably be the best.
The DeLorme mapping system for the PC uses fully-linked GPS. I've never been anywhere, so far, where I didn't have 100% performance. If you can use a GPS the DeLorme works. Look it up on the net.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:18 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
My kids got me the RVND 7710 for my birthday on Saturday. I routed it to the campground we went to last week and it took us on four Parkways we can't drive on. I called Rand McNally and they said that their systems have a problem with Parkway's in New York & New Jersey, the reason I wanted this in the first place. On the bright side you can go in and avoid these roads permanently and they said it should be fixed in the next map upgrade.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:36 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Pelham , New York
Quote:
My kids got me the RVND 7710 for my birthday on Saturday. I routed it to the campground we went to last week and it took us on four Parkways we can't drive on. I called Rand McNally and they said that their systems have a problem with Parkway's in New York & New Jersey, the reason I wanted this in the first place. On the bright side you can go in and avoid these roads permanently and they said it should be fixed in the next map upgrade.
I just purchased the iPad RV app, which is basically the same software. Testing it beforehand, it put me on the Sprain Pkwy and Taconic Pkwy in NY, both of which you can't take a trailer on! Since your post is over a year old, looks like they didn't fix it in the next map upgrade. This was the main reason I purchased the app, to avoid illegal roads.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:00 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
.also, we need to know tunnels and bridges that prohibit LP. and low clearance things that remove air conditioners. sad to see things are still not right.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:11 AM   #42
1 Rivet Member

1984 34' Excella
1977 Argosy 24
Wyoming , Ontario
We use Garmin GPS 3580 - trip from Ontario Canada to California - preplanned exact routes and overnight stops with Garmin Base Camp and google maps on a laptop - up load to the Garmin then execute the route in "Triplanner" on the Garmin. The Garmin allows on the fly editing and insersion of way points for extra versatility. Good luck!!