Old 08-05-2011, 08:21 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Great to hear about your trip

Thanks for posting......we too have suffered the heat in Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio (not so bad) ....to finally get relief in Michigan....we are enjoying Cedar Lake in Oscoda, MI........enjoy! paula

WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
During the rally they put about 6 tents on one campsite. If there's a place to stand, there'll be a tent there in 10 minutes. The rally's like going to a movie, but you're in it . . . and it lasts a solid week:-) I don't go anymore, when I did I camped at a private campground by Bear Butte. It was lights off and quiet at 10:00 PM. We had White Knights, and Chapter 7, all mixed in with about 200 of us, all clean and sober.

Many of those guys packed heat. BIG guns, like 44 magnums. I saw a preacher shoot a goose out there one night with a 44 magnum. He had just married a couple. I went to the wedding. They were all from Florida. Somebody went into Sturgis and bought a whole trunk full of burgers for dinner and we had roast goose for desert.

Quite a few of those guys had missing body parts. They'd work a heel/toe shifter with an artificial leg with no problems at all and they'd take time to help one of us with a mechanical problem. It was quite an experience.

Many of my biker brothers and sisters don't ride sober and they'd just as soon blow a pedal bike off the road. Much of the hills is not a family environment during the rally.

Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:53 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Natchitoches , Louisiana
After leaving the Snowies we headed eastbound, stopping at Sierrra Outpost in Cheyenne. That retailer has gone from being a small mail-order outlet in 1985 to a huge operation. Lots of good outdoor stuff there. That night we stayed at Gurnsey State Park, very warm temps, but a nice campground, mostly catering to boaters. The next morning we drove on over to Hill City and set up at Rafter J Bar. We then did the circuit past Pactola Resovoir into Deadwood and Lead and back.

In the mid eighties we lived on the north side of Terry Peak and I worked in Lead. We tried to find our cabin but another gold mining operation bought the property and removed the cabin and about 2/3 of the entire mountain. There's just a big hole there now.

Hill City, on the other hand, has grown into quite the little, or not so little, tourist attraction. The steam train station is there and doing very brisk business. We enjoyed every place we ate, and all of the people were very friendly. The bikers were just starting to trickle in.

Weather was perfect, comfortable days and cool nights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pat and Pactola Reservoir Hill City.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	863.1 KB
ID:	136866   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pactola Reservoir Hill City SD.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	853.6 KB
ID:	136867  

Name:	Desperados Restaurant Hill City SD.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	600.7 KB
ID:	136868   Click image for larger version

Name:	JD and Mika Main Street Hill City.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	474.9 KB
ID:	136869  

Old 08-06-2011, 10:47 AM   #18
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Nice PIX. Glad you enjoyed your trip to the " cooler " parts of the country.

Some years ago the wife and I were tent camping out west. We went to see Mt. Rushmore and the area. A day trip took us to Sturgis in late July. We picked up one of the tourist flyers you see everywhere. In it there were the dates for the biker ralley in August. They said " SO YOU CAN JOIN US, OR AVOID US ". I thought that was thoughtful of them to advise the travelers just what they'd be getting into during that week.
A spectacular part of the country.

PS: I like your hiking companion.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:32 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Natchitoches , Louisiana
Mika The Wonderdog was a 2-pound undernourished and very sick little 4-week old puppy when I removed her from her unhealthy environment here where I work. She has grown into the perfect jogging companion, all heart and speed, and being part husky and having all-husky attitude, is constantly testing my patience. Like a very smart-ass 13 year old teenager that happens to be smart in school and a good athlete as well.

We have spent about 65 nights and days on the road in the two years we have had her and she travels well, if strangely. She spends two or three hours at a time sitting up looking out the back window, and sometimes sleeps in this position. Go figure.

In the two years I have been running with her I have only managed to tire her out one time, after several miles of jogging in very hot and humid weather. She recovered a lot sooner than I did.

We visited Lead and Deadwood twice on this trip and drove through Spearfish Canyon once.

Attached are two pics of Mika, the first the day I got her at two pounds and four weeks, and the second as she is now. Also are two pictures of the Lead Post Office where I worked in 1987. I had to re-visit the lobby where I mopped those marble floors and I took a stroll around back to look again at those steep streets where I delivered mail.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mika at shelter.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	136882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mika today.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	844.5 KB
ID:	136883  

Name:	Lobby of Lead SD Post Office.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	638.8 KB
ID:	136884   Click image for larger version

Name:	Beside Lead Post Office and view of part of my route.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	780.9 KB
ID:	136885  

Old 08-06-2011, 02:37 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Nice dog! The post office is a beautiful building. I've visited Lead often over the years. My mother's uncle worked in the gold mine there.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:35 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Natchitoches , Louisiana
A few more pictures to post up. Sylvan lake at the trailhead to Harney Peak, and the mandatory pictures of the Presidents and of Needles Highway. We found Keystone to be waaay too crowded for us, as we remember it as a tiny little outpost. Mount Rushmore is in its third rennovation since we knew it in 1986. Indeed, when we lived on Terry Peak back then we would often drive over to the cafeteria and eat Sunday breakfast by the big windows under the monument. Sometimes it was just the two of us and the four Presidents looking down on us. Very different now.

We also drove through Horsethief campground and the other NF campground just south of Hill City. They both looked pretty nice. I wasn't real impressed with the SD State Park campground at Sylvan Lake, probably because it was jammed. We walked through the lodge and liked that ok.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sylvan Lake Custer State Park SD.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	691.0 KB
ID:	136929   Click image for larger version

Name:	Needles Highway.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	914.0 KB
ID:	136930  

Name:	Mount Rushmore.jpg