Old 03-30-2014, 11:04 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member
2014 22' FB Sport
Atlanta , Georgia
Rude on the highway--what's wrong with people?

In a sense, this is a double post, because I initially posted something like this in the early morning hours of Friday, just after we got back from picking up our 22 Sport. I was kind'a angry. I think perhaps my language was a little too full of asterisks and wingdings standing in for the vowels of pretty rank Anglo-Saxon epithets. Which might be why it disappeared from the forum as fast as cash on a Congressman's desk.

But anyway, driving back from Orlando, up I-75--four hours of it in the pitch dark--I noticed that a whole bunch of people drove with their brights on. At first, I thought it was just passenger cars, and of course I imagined little old people from Florida driving home for the Spring to New Jersey, just barely able to see over the steering wheel. But then I noticed it was big pickups, commercial vans, sports cars-, even TVs pulling trailers-all drivers who should have known better.

I grew up on the highways in Texas in the 70's and 80's, and you almost never saw anyone doing this. So whether it's the 21st Century, or I-75, or Florida, or Georgia, I don't know. But it makes me wonder: what's wrong with people? Don't they know what this does to other drivers? Or maybe they don't know where the switch for their brights are?

And... what do you do about it? I have heard stories of dropping back behind them, pulling up on their bumper and keeping the brights on, with or without the emphasis of a horn. That seems kind of immature, not to say dangerous. But, is there any way to handle it?

Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master
2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
It does seem to be a trend. However, I have found that sometimes it is just that some of the headlights on newer vehicles are just plain bright! I have also seen tow vehicles where the trailer is lowering the truck rear end and the lights are shining too high.
Mostly though, many people aren't as courteous as they once were.

2012 30' International Serenity
1947 Spartan Manor
2005 28' Safari LS - traded
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Most of all don't let it get to you...turn up the radio and divert your attention to your 'happy place'. Cheers! Billy
AIR-Quarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I feel your pain. If you wear glasses, consider popping for the expensive polarized ones that darken in sunlight. They will cut some of the glare of bright lights.

When I went to Lakewood NJ to pick up the EB I noticed a lot of NJ/NY drivers seemed addicted to brights too. I tend to keep vehicles a long time, and my older ones never had an automatic sensor to turn the headlights on - I think I may have become LESS sensitive to the fact that I'm driving with my brights on with the newer tow vehicles, and as high as trucks are, these ARE the vehicles that really irritate you when they're coming at you. Maybe we ought to ask truck manufacturers to make the "brights" light a bit more irritating.

Using bright lights DOES help pick up deer on the road, but that isn't a legitimate issue on most of I-95 since they've put up so much deer fencing.

If they are oncoming traffic - many people think that there isn't anything wrong with using brights on a divided highway. Unfortunately, some of the newer lights and after market lights especially that seem to be as bright as aircraft landing lights - just blinding even from 30 feet on the side. These lights are really designed for deep woods and long deserted stretches of road, not ever in traffic. Nothing really educates these people until they get ticketed. Unfortunately most drivers seem to think I-95 means the speed limit IS 95 - and the traffic is SO heavy that the troopers are reluctant to pull over drivers because it causes wrecks or backups for miles. Write a letter - suggest the troopers use lighted signs along the road to remind drivers of the need to avoid blinding other drivers.

(Many years ago in Kentucky - where there was no money to put more troopers on the road - an experiment was conducted putting old patrol cars along side the road with dummies in the drivers seat. Speeding, passing on the right, reckless driving, all went down nearly as much as with a live officer for almost a month until the public caught on. Then they did something brilliant: moved the decoys to new locations and posted a "rolling ATM" - real trooper and car where the decoy had been.) Might work on I-95.

When someone gets behind me with their brights on, I generally slow down so they'll pass. If they don't, I turn on the flashers and slow further as though I'm getting ready to pull off... they pass.

ANY action that even resembles road rage - get behind them and "teach" them how irritating the brights are? Well. Ahem. This isn't a sermon, it's a fable with a moral. Just suppose, someone gives a well deserved "finger" to an obnoxious, noxious, and toxic driver at a traffic light. His response is to respond with a glimpse of the barrel of a Gloc. The fingerer prays for 39 endless seconds until the light turns and remains motionless until the Gloc-ster has cleared the intersection. The finger-er gets honked at several times, and makes apologetic gestures to the honkers.

Road Rage IS a choice. Controlling other people's choices is a lost cause. Smart = good. Smarta$$, not so much.
Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:50 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Last year was our first year with our airstream (or any trailer for that matter).

We took driving lessons.

We were cautious like the thing was one huge egg we didn't want to crack on the road.

And suddenly, I realized how everyone else drives like a$$-hats.

Here I am in the slow lane driving a 50' long 7.5 ton combo and "Johnny Jackass" decides it's a good idea to speed up on the entrance ramp (9 out of 10 times) so he doesn't have to get behind me - this forces me to brake hard to avoid killing him as he squeezes in front of my passenger fender with an inch to spare - happy he won his race and completely oblivious to both the change of underwear I now require AND the tapestry of creative language I wove for his benefit.

Too many examples like this to share. But it dawned on me - I was "Johnny Jackass" before the airstream. Not good.

And - who gives a flying flip about Johnny? I'm going CAMPING! And as I've said many times before, my very WORST day camping FAR exceeds my very best day in the office.

So this year, I'm going to try to hold back on the foul language tapestries, I'm going to try to feel bad for Johnny since he's not going camping, and I'm going to try to just keep it slow and simple and smile because I'm going CAMPING!

God I love my airstream!!! :-)
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:57 AM   #6
65th Anniversary CLIPPER
1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
You can take some measures to reduce the glare of headlights following you.

Your inside mirror should have a dual setting on it?

Your outside mirrors should be set to barely see the side of your vehicle and then out from there. They should be aimed to pick up your rear wheel and up.

Your seat position will allow you to move your head an inch to get a bigger picture from your mirror.

If you have them adjusted properly, the headlights from following cars will be shinning on your ears. NOT YOUR EYES.

Try to control your own space, as it seems, today, no one else cares.

"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . I wonder if some of these people even know what the blue icon on the dash means. . .lot's of people out there drive right thru town with their brights on. It's like driving in the left lane always, it's against the law, but people don't seem to care, and you're stuck passing them on the right. Not much civility out there anywhere these days, is there !! regards, Craig
WBCCI 2851,4CU
RamblinManGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:24 PM   #8
Rivet Master
2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Not that I like having high beams shining in my eyes, but there might be a reason some people are driving with them on

Our tow vehicle (2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee) has automatically dimming high beams. I do not use them around town, but often use the system on the highway because the automatic dimming works very well, detecting on-coming headlights and red tail lights with astonishing precision. So, you might see me driving with high-beams on if there are no cars ahead of me or behind me. I don't use the system on very curvy roads.

Of course, those who mention the brightness of modern headlights (whether on high beam or not) are right.

Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:38 PM   #9
2006 19' International CCD
Denville , New Jersey
I find the LED bluish ones on newer cars brighter than the old standard. No question I try to remain calm, and without stress while driving the Airstream, better for everybody.
2006 Bambi CCD ("EireStream!!")
2010 Funfinder
2005 T@B
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:52 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Speaking of the newer vehicles and their bright lights.... On many occasions I've found myself flashing my brights at some oncoming vehicle, only to have them hit THEIR brights and really blow my night vision to hell!
Now I'm just "gun shy" because I can't tell these new light from "brights" !!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Airstream Forums mobile app
2013 Ram Power Wagon 2500 4X4 5.7 Hemi
2001 Airstream '34 Limited
Hensley Arrow

Fulltime in 2013 and LOVING it !!
truxpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:42 PM   #11
Restorations done right
Commercial Member
1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Wow, the insignificant things that set some people off.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:44 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member
2007 19' Safari SE
Laurel , Montana
If you are getting a larger number of bright lights when towing, versus just driving, you may want to make sure your towing outfit is on the level. Even a slight drop of the rear can make it seem as if you are driving with your brights on, and they are letting you know. Not saying this is the case, but it has happened to me if I am hauling something out of the ordinary in my truck.
LFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:52 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Originally Posted by LFM View Post
If you are getting a larger number of bright lights when towing, versus just driving, you may want to make sure your towing outfit is on the level. Even a slight drop of the rear can make it seem as if you are driving with your brights on, and they are letting you know. Not saying this is the case, but it has happened to me if I am hauling something out of the ordinary in my truck.
Ah... words of true wisdom.

Thank you, (signed) Grasshopper
Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:05 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member
1974 20' Argosy 20
Loomis , California
Whenever I am being approached by an oncoming vehicle with bright lights on, I flash my high beams to let the oncoming driver know that they have their high beams on. If they don't have their high beams on, they will usually flash theirs back to let me know so. If on the other hand, they do, they usually dim them down. If they are hooked up and the rig they are towing is changing the ride profile of their tow vehicle, they will get the message. It doesn't take too many other cars flashing their high beams to drive home the idea that they should maybe get an adjustable trailer hitch.
If none of that works, just remember while you are driving, that you can't control what other people do when they are driving. Relax and abandon yourself to the fact that you are in a good place, with good people in your life, you drive the best that you an example of how others should drive. We can't control what others do. We can only provide an example of what we hope they would do and can emulate.

Aldo is offline   Reply With Quote